Disney College Program for Fall Advantage Cancelled

celluloid

Even with the most reduced hours, it is straining to think about how some front-line areas can operate with out CPs. Some areas (QSFB and park merch) are upwards of 50% CP.

They just operate less registers, less photopass attendants, less custodial coverage, less efficiency for rides. Less food/bev merch carts open and less resort Swimming Pools/water parks for awhile. It will not just be reducing hours.

fngoofy

According to the orlando sentinel. College program cast make up 5% of the workforce
I don't think that is accurate. When I was a CM back in 2002 (yes a long time ago, yes numbers have changed no doubt) at Disney Quest, more than 50% of CMs were on the CP.

Also, when you think of the math, with 75,000 CMs on site, there are way more than 3,750 CPs there.

Joe_Exotic

I don't think that is accurate. When I was a CM back in 2002 (yes a long time ago, yes numbers have changed no doubt) at Disney Quest, more than 50% of CMs were on the CP.

Also, when you think of the math, with 75,000 CMs on site, there are way more than 3,750 CPs there.
Yeppp, the new dorm they just built (Flamingo Crossing) hold 10,000 CPs. And as of the moment they are still using all the other complexes.

disney4life2008

This is my argument on Disney College program. While it is great for students to get the experience, many of them are not hospitality or other related majors and a good portion are doing this just because it's a resume buildiing opportunity. The reality, they will just go back to being a student. And truth be hold, many of them are living off mommy and daddy anyway.

I am more concerned about the cast members who moved to central Florida or who have seniority who are now put in horrific financial situations. I applaud Disney for canceling these programs and hopefully it will mean good news for cast members.

TrainsOfDisney

This is my argument on Disney College program. While it is great for students to get the experience, many of them are not hospitality or other related majors and a good portion are doing this just because it's a resume buildiing opportunity. The reality, they will just go back to being a student. And truth be hold, many of them are living off mommy and daddy anyway.

I am more concerned about the cast members who moved to central Florida or who have seniority who are now put in horrific financial situations. I applaud Disney for canceling these programs and hopefully it will mean good news for cast members.

I agree. It’s a great experience but it will be much better for the Florida economy to give jobs to the people who actually live and are invested in Florida.

danitaytay

Myself, among hundreds of other graduating seniors who I can speak on behalf of because I am in a group with them all, would disagree with your statement completely. A majority of us were planning on going full time with the company following our program. Most everyone knows the DCP is a stepping stone to a future with the company. I have dreamed of this opportunity since middle school. I had hoped to stay with Disney permanently after my program.
Now with my cancellation I have nothing. I cannot to back to just “being a student” because I had my senior year cancelled and every other job opportunity is closed up because nobody wants new hires right now. Please do not make assumptions. We are hard working individuals who are not living off our “mommies and daddies”. We need jobs just as badly as everyone else.

danitaytay

I feel you. I’m about ready to purge everything Disney from my life, which is going to be difficult.

I'm so sorry to hear that. Stay strong.

I am so sorry you don’t get to enjoy the rest of your year as planned and won’t get a chance to stand and be recognized for all of your hard work. It’s a rite of passage and it’s not fair to you and so many seniors out there to miss all of these events. I know we all realize the reasons this has to happen and recognize it is for the best, but it doesn’t make it any less frustrating and disappointing.
Hoping one day it will work out for you to work at Disney if that is still a goal for you!

Thank you, I really appreciate your kind words. I pray that everything does work out, but I still feel so cheated. The way Disney handled this just doesn't feel right to me.

Same boat, the whole situation sucks. This will pass eventually.

I'm so sorry. Stay strong :(

danitaytay

I am a professor and this is an example of back up plans. In life, you never put all your eggs in one basket. Especially when things are connected to the economy (I. E. Disney College program). There is nothing to say Disney has to have a program they could get rid of it all together. They won't though and I understand your point. But to say that you have only focused on Disney College program with the hope of being accepted for a full time position does not sound very bright. You can set that as a goal and if it works great but you are also competing against 1000s of other people for the exact same positions.

I understand that, but trust me...I had plenty of back-up plans. I've worked my butt off all four years to obtain a degree in animal science which by no stretch is easy. I've worked in zoos, done internships, and volunteered every single break and summer I've had since I was 11. I have not given up. I applied for 5-10 other internships/jobs in other zoos and institutions as a back-up plan in case something happened with my program. Every single internship was cancelled due to the virus and every other company stated that they are not accepting new hires because of financial reasons due to the virus.

Lilofan

Myself, among hundreds of other graduating seniors who I can speak on behalf of because I am in a group with them all, would disagree with your statement completely. A majority of us were planning on going full time with the company following our program. Most everyone knows the DCP is a stepping stone to a future with the company. I have dreamed of this opportunity since middle school. I had hoped to stay with Disney permanently after my program.
Now with my cancellation I have nothing. I cannot to back to just “being a student” because I had my senior year cancelled and every other job opportunity is closed up because nobody wants new hires right now. Please do not make assumptions. We are hard working individuals who are not living off our “mommies and daddies”. We need jobs just as badly as everyone else.
Not a suggestion but some I know graduated with a 4 year degree and joined the armed forces. A college graduate goes to boot camp but start at a higher rank and pay because they have a degree. Some did their 6 year enlistment, then joined the regular working world but they could go to the VA for health insurance for life ( big $$$ savings ). You have options, just fewer options. Good luck to you.

Brer Oswald

I am a professor and this is an example of back up plans. In life, you never put all your eggs in one basket. Especially when things are connected to the economy (I. E. Disney College program). There is nothing to say Disney has to have a program they could get rid of it all together. They won't though and I understand your point. But to say that you have only focused on Disney College program with the hope of being accepted for a full time position does not sound very bright. You can set that as a goal and if it works great but you are also competing against 1000s of other people for the exact same positions.
That’s a very easy thing to say. But when all of your goals have failed, and you’re constantly falling back on your backup plans and then those keep failing...perhaps it’s a little more clear to see why there’s so much distress.

It’s all been spiraling downward for me these last 4 years. Perhaps I’m naive, but I’m having a hard time seeing where to go and if I want to continue.

danitaytay

Not a suggestion but some I know graduated with a 4 year degree and joined the armed forces. A college graduate goes to boot camp but start at a higher rank and pay because they have a degree. Some did their 6 year enlistment, then joined the regular working world but they could go to the VA for health insurance for life ( big $$$ savings ). You have options, just fewer options. Good luck to you.

Thank you for the suggestion. Unfortunately, my passion in life has always been animals and it's the one thing I've always been good at. I will pursue my dream no matter what since it's something I've had since i was 3.

Yes and I am sorry. But you are also one of hundreds of thousands students who will be graduating this semester who have had cancelled experiences and jobs.

It doesn't discount how hard we have worked to get where we are though. I don't get why so many people see the DCP as a cop-out or not an actual job. Because it is and I've worked so hard for it for so long.

Surferboy567

I luckily saw this coming and didn’t put too much stock into me going in the first place. Am I disappointed? Yes, but after I’ve had more time to think about it. I can always reapply. It’s probably better not to be there now anyways.

EDIT: That’s at least what I see as positive. I did want to do the program but it is what it is. I kinda wish we wouldn’t have to reapply though in the chance that I want to come back. Application process was long.

Last edited:

Kman101

Even with the most reduced hours, it is straining to think about how some front-line areas can operate with out CPs. Some areas (QSFB and park merch) are upwards of 50% CP.

They rely far too heavily on CP. They can, you know, give others some hours who don't get very many because of the CP. I think there's room for CP but they can't depend on it like they once did. JMO. And it makes sense to not have it take place right now. Too much crowding into housing, etc.

TrainsOfDisney

They rely far too heavily on CP. They can, you know, give others some hours who don't get very many because of the CP. I think there's room for CP but they can't depend on it like they once did. JMO. And it makes sense to not have it take place right now. Too much crowding into housing, etc.

There will most likely be lots of CM’s who have to work other jobs in order to stay with the company. If there are no parades perhaps you were formerly in a parade but now you have to staff a Merch location if you want to keep your job. So yeah... there will probably be plenty of cast to go around and fill in. When things pick up again, they’ll bring cp’s Back.

Lilofan

Big $$ loss for WDW . They want to keep the CP housing full to collect the monthly rent. Anyway what is going to happen to the cast that support the big CP program?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom