Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

It was not the Cruise lines I was talking about...That’s always a “lose/lose” for the ships and the ports on outbreaks...

I was talking about sticking to the “I’m not telling people what to do...” when a person’s one job is to tell people what to do for the good of the whole.

Welcome to REAL life!
Yup. My guess is that if he has any children, he didn't play much of a role in parenting.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Well...I know New York is in the US. So I can’t wrap my brain around “separating” it out in any way. Something about NYC being the largest and most important city in the country does that to me.

It still seems to be an outlier. So I can see a scenario down the road where the other parts of the country are opened up prior to NYC. Others don’t have the same issues around population density, etc. Of course, variables such as travel must be considered. And NYC is a major major component to the country in general.

note2001

Today has been a hard day for me. It's the 5 year anniversary of losing my Mom. On another forum, one about scrapbooking, several people posted about losing a family member to COVID-19. Since I know what loss feels like, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. It's been 5 years, but with all of this, it feels like a horrible scar has been reopened and it hurts just as much, but without the shock and numbness to dull the pain. There are going to be thousands of people who are going to know what that feels like. Millions of people around the world are going to know what that feels like. Without the ability to say a proper goodbye and comfort each other.

I know there is going to come a point where it's just too much. I don't know how we got from 8000 deaths worldwide to 58,000. From 3000 deaths in China to over 7000 deaths in just the US, in like 3 weeks, and there is still so much "eh, death happens." I don't expect adding a 0 to those numbers will change much either. I've been trying to figure out what I will need to do with myself, when time wasting on the Internet is no longer a distraction. I am usually pretty good at compartmentalizing... but this... I'm vacillating between bracing myself for the continual waves of sadness, and the anger that we've demonized the skills and choices we will need to get ourselves out of it.
So sorry about your mom. There is no amount of time that will make us forget how much we miss our parents and reduce the wish for the ability to pick up the phone and call them. We've got a ton of grieving to do for our lives as they have changed. Add in a few other major issues such as job loss, family issues, scrambling just to get a roll of paper towels, and I feel like we all need therapy to help us though. What helps is realizing that we are all in this together. I've chosen to get angry at the virus itself. I can't really blame people for being human, but we can all work to be a bit nicer.

Regarding the numbers: keep in mind that we only have the numbers each country has decided to make public. For example, China regularly insists that less than 100 people die from the flu each year. Meanwhile in the US it's closer to 30,000. None of this s said to make you feel less hopeful, but to the contrary. It's not that other countries have done a better job and have better medical approach to this than we do here in the US, it's that they're hiding reality.

I have faith in our systems.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Except the experts have seen through data that it doesn’t spread through populations in the same way everywhere. Having a better understanding of this will help us to determine where the next place is to get hit big before it actually happens. Whether that occurs in this first cycle or the second.
A word of caution from the not too distant past. This is from 3/13 before NY schools were closed and the city was shut down. At this point NY state had no deaths and this was incorrectly viewed by some as a CA and west coast problem. Could things have been less grim had NY reacted sooner and proactively closed things down? We will never know, but I bet a lot of leaders wish they made a faster call despite the ”current” situation at the time not looking too bad.

John park hopper

Initially there will be a lot of hoops to jump through
A word of caution from the not too distant past. This is from 3/13 before NY schools were closed and the city was shut down. At this point NY state had no deaths and this was incorrectly viewed by some as a CA and west coast problem. Could things have been less grim had NY reacted sooner and proactively closed things down? We will never know, but I bet a lot of leaders wish they made a faster call despite the ”current” situation at the time not looking too bad.

You got it on tape one can make their own call on this one

imsosarah

He’s 43. He knows how to interview and make a resume. It’s not him or the interview or the resume. It’s that 77,000 people in our city alone are applying for the 15 available Trader Joe’s jobs
I am not saying he doesn't - this is what our company does so you said it has been months (not due to this) that he has been unable to find something. I was trying to be helpful because there is new tech that screens applications and if you know how to get to the front of that list, then you make it to the front - it isn't up to a person anymore.... 99% of applicants don't realize that. No offense meant, just offering help. Feel free to DM if you change your mind

note2001

So do we have any good statisticians in here? Any way to estimate how long we need to quarantine the US? Would it be until June? July? Aug?

imsosarah

So do we have any good statisticians in here? Any way to estimate how long we need to quarantine the US? Would it be until June? July? Aug?

The models I have seen have opening back up in May/June but it was based on ALL states doing a 30 day safer at home...there are 10 states that are still refusing to do so.

Based on Trumps press conference today, he is ready to open it up again asap.

The challenge is that if we open in June all major models are expecting there to be another increase in fall/winter and possibly again in spring. If we look at historical pandemic models, wave 2 is worse than 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom