The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Rista1313

I think it is more a generational thing. Some are adapting to it better than other like my DD boss who is 60.

My adult kids one a millennial one not though only 5 years apart in age have adapted well to video meetings vs in person. It is the aging that seem to have the most problems adapting and gripes according to what they are sharing and some having a difficult time rolling with it an adapting. My kids grew up with IMing questions on all fronts including homework and touching base. They both in middle school worked on video laptop presentations live. Me we had a weird thing that connected to a mainframe with huge circular tapes to SAVE.

Both my kids jobs have IMing software and the ability to talk to their co workers via their laptops and headset. It is normal to them.

my son has decided to return home during his work Remote. Safety in family vs alone as has his girlfriend. Video makes it seamless for his line of work. He is working with2 of his employees to make a hiring video to hit social media that they are hiring presently which is a notion lost on many given our counties circumstances. 3 people working together via video remotely. I find the youth remarkable given the circumstance. They quickly adapt

my Dd firm where she is a computer engineer doesn’t do video. Ever. They do voice and screen sharing. They are all engineers and comfy with tech. Today she multitasked and built a new app for those in the field while in A 3 hour meeting. She is great at multitasking.

Her firm a fortune 100 went remote before any state went shelter In place. They are above and beyond critically essential. The firm had the insight to not have all of their employees go down together and to separate them. If the firm goes down so does Illinois and 4 states on the east coast and WDC.

their attitude from being displaced is Let’s Roll. Youth. A challenge to them.

me I get tired watching them

I had some nasty words here for you, but I decided that the nice people in this thread didn't need the drama in here.

Welcome to my ignore list.

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

The only thing I ever learned from my visit to Williamsburg is that fake history is a ripoff. I, of course, went there before the internet or, at least, my access to it. I thought it was legit and not a re-creation and that you had to pay extra to go into anything worth seeing. It is more a history of capitalism in it's basic form.
In fifth grade, they had us do a major project based on the revolution. One option was to visit a historic site and do a project based on that. My parents took me and my longtime friend (the one who went to WDW and DL with me in college...we're still friends) and then we went again when B had to do it. I do remember learning something both times and it was better than the other projects, so that was good.

My parents are talking about doing a long weekend there. B and I told them sure, they can do the historical stuff and we'll go to Bush Gardens. 😂

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Exactly. In my lifetime my son has lived through three stock market crashes including this years. The most disconcerting was while he and my DD were in college. While they both graduated the job market sucked and most of their elders were eating up the enter level job markets, 50 somethings absorbing all the teenage job markets 2 and 3 fold. Many mocking the young as lazy. There just wasn't anything in the recession when they graduated. 50 somethings were selling calendars at malls, something that in the past was a teen job or bagging groceries at local markets. Once being teen jobs. It was a rough time to be a new adult. Both of my kids were fortunate to fall back upon long employment of their youth until better things to come availed. They eventually came out the backside well but it was a long time coming. I don't regret my insistence that they become formally educated. It is as important in today's job market as a high school education was to my parents generation where high school drop outs were prevalent. If you lack the proper certified credentials today you are stuck where you are at with little options in other firms. The HS degree is rarely enough to make yourself marketable forever, a gamble often lost. College was instilled in them from babes cause that is where the world went. Yesteryear only had elementary school education, then HS, now University. The world evolved. Those who didn't....well.

I disagree. Kids who go to trade school can potentially make double what kids who go to college make, with less debt and more upward trajectory.

Rista1313

Ours gives out purple and green. They are very generous at the drive thru and usually give out a few. When I used to take the kids when they were younger and couldn’t stay home alone they always looked forward to a bank visit.
When I was a kid they gave out brach's royals at our drive thru bank. I still love those! They are hard to find these days. And now they call them Milk Maids.

Goofyernmost

In fifth grade, they had us do a major project based on the revolution. One option was to visit a historic site and do a project based on that. My parents took me and my longtime friend (the one who went to WDW and DL with me in college...we're still friends) and then we went again when B had to do it. I do remember learning something both times and it was better than the other projects, so that was good.

My parents are talking about doing a long weekend there. B and I told them sure, they can do the historical stuff and we'll go to Bush Gardens. 😂
I'm sure that it has some value in the historic narrative, but if you go to see something that is historically intact then Williamsburg is not the place. I went when my kids were young, and frankly they have never mentioned what they felt about it or what it taught them, so I don't really know. All I saw was a place that was hyped up and almost thought of a relic of the past to be not much more then a "this is what it would have looked like back then, but the original building doesn't exist anymore, we just built this to show you".

I am a history buff to some degree and I was genuinely excited about going there until I got there and found out the it was nothing more then basically a movie set. One that is supposed to give the feel, which it does, but not the reality of authenticity. They were all copies of something that supposedly existed around the time of the revolution. Also, I paid money to get in and half way through found out that I could have parked on the street just adjacent to the themed park and just walked in free of charge. Some of the interiors would have been missed, but to my mind if is wasn't the actual, historically linked interior it wasn't worth the extra money to see it anyway.

To be honest though I wasn't all that impressed with the 80's version of Bush Gardens either. I apparently am very hard to please.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Instacart wants $6.00 for Ben and Jerry's :eek: I think I'll pass.
If it's for the whole company, I'd take them up on it. If it is just for a pint... I'd pass myself. When I was a bus driver in Burlington, Vt. if I happened to lock in on a particular route, the one that ran from the lakefront to the top of the hill to UVM I passed the place were the original Ben & Jerry's Scoop Shop existed. It's no longer there, it is now just a small parking lot with a sign that tells about the B&J location. Anyway, I used to point out the location of the birthplace of Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream to tourists riding with me up to the College. That seemed like the highlight of their trip. I'm guessing they didn't get out much.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom