Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slpy3270

Just a friendly reminder that there's no conclusive scientific consensus that face masks will prevent transmission nor protect the wearer from it.

K thx bye.

orlandogal22

You have to apply for the payment hold - forbearance? I think it was called.

Based on their website - it was to be automatic. So who knows? :confused: Frustrating....

0% Interest for Student Loans
  • The interest rate on all federally held student loans serviced by FedLoan Servicing will temporarily be reduced to 0% until September 30, 2020.
  • FedLoan Servicing will automatically adjust accounts so that interest doesn’t accrue (i.e., accumulate). The account adjustment will be effective March 13, 2020.
  • This 0% interest rate change will be applied to all federally held loans in any status (in school, in grace, in repayment, in deferment/forbearance, etc.).
Temporary Suspension of Payments
  • All borrowers will automatically be placed on an administrative forbearance which will temporarily suspend monthly payments.
  • The administrative forbearance will last from March 13, 2020, through Sept. 30, 2020.
  • A borrower can request that this administrative forbearance be removed at any time. If the forbearance is removed, required payments will resume.
Payments (including Direct Debit)
  • Direct Debit payments are automatically suspended during the administrative forbearance.
  • Any payments (Direct Debit or otherwise) processed between March 13, 2020, and Sept. 30, 2020, can be refunded; refund requests can be made by contacting us.
  • Borrowers still have the option to make manual payments (i.e., via Account Access or mobile app) on their loans to make progress toward reducing their balance. Payments can be the full amount or a partial amount.
NOTE: If payments are made during the period of 0% interest (March 13, 2020, through Sept. 30, 2020), the full amount of your payments will be applied to principal once all the interest that accrued prior to March 13 is paid.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I told y'all Disney was going to ask for government bailout money. Now other media companies will do the same.
If you look at the actual letter what they are asking for is government loans or government backing of other loans so hotel operators and other hospitality companies too large to qualify for the small business loans can access capital while their revenue is cut to almost zero. It’s not a handout of free money. Disney has access to very cheap capital so will not likely need additional loans through this program. It also has nothing to do with the media side of the business this is the US Travel Association. Some media association request could also come later (I wouldn’t be shocked by that). .

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Our county has just issued a level 2 travel advisory in Indiana. Pretty much the same as state stay-at-home order, but now if pulled over for "unnecessary travel" you can be cited. There's other counties already going to the same or higher levels because the order isn't being followed.
Which county? I live in Hamilton and work in Tippecanoe.

durangojim

Just a friendly reminder that there's no conclusive scientific consensus that face masks will prevent transmission nor protect the wearer from it.

K thx bye.
Common sense says it makes a difference. K Thx Bye

Jwink

She sounds fun!
She is amazing! lol. I try to make allowances for her because she’s not had it easy but you don’t mentally abuse your kid and physically beat her in to her 20’s just because you had a rough life... and she wasn’t spanked/abused as a child so that’s not a reason. It’s just who she is

Jwink

So what you're saying is that if your husband works 2 Full time jobs 80-90 hours a week , you feel he is entitled to 2 unemployment checks weekly? Not in this modern time. It doesn't work that way.
I feel like in the current climate where it was not his fault and yes- he lost BOTH incomes... yeah... I mean he’d be unemployed from 2 places... why would that be so far fetched?

And I know it doesn’t work that way... but due to covid19... it should

orlandogal22

I feel like in the current climate where it was not his fault and yes- he lost BOTH incomes... yeah... I mean he’d be unemployed from 2 places... why would that be so far fetched?

I know you referenced Columbia earlier. Was he still at Publix getting hours? Or was that a job he applied for?

(or am I remembering wrong?)

Jwink

This is wrong, Walmart is absolutely hiring. I applied and am most likely going to be getting a job within the next couple days. Some pizza places are still hiring delivery drivers. It's misinformation to say that NOBODY is hiring.
Maybe in your neck of the woods? Husband applied there too. There’s millions of applicants

Lilofan

In reality, we all wish and dream that if we get furloughed / laid off that it could be replaced with similar incomes... It's going to be a tough road for all from all income levels.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Are you seriously saying that losing your job - with the opportunity to have unemployment paid, plus an extra $600/week payment, plus a $1200 payout, plus access to food banks for food, etc, plus waivers for any debt you carry is comparable to having to go to WAR, particularly Vietnam? That is one of the most stomach turning things i've ever heard.

There are a TON of places hiring still - they just are "below" what most want to do. Even in a bad market, there are jobs available.

But a "massive sacrifice" this is not.

You mean the $600/week that doesn't last forever? The one time $1200 payment? And what waivers are you seeing? At best, you have forebarance. 58K died in Vietnam. It is so sad their lives were lost in such a senseless war we never should've been in. The sacrifices they made will never be made whole. My wife is former Marines. My brother is former Navy. I have family members who were in the Pentagon the day a plane was flown into it. So I understand sacrifice. I understand the sacrifices that are made.

Millions will lose their jobs. Already have. Millions more will. Millions will lose their homes. Millions could very well lose their life as a result of having no job/no home/no food. To call this not a massive sacrifice is belittling the millions of Americans who are losing their livelihood today. This is going to have an impact of a war, if not worse. Get off your high horse and realize that this is bad for EVERYONE.

Less movement and mixing equals fewer infections, which in turn equals fewer deaths. The numbers may be based on modelling, but I don't think one can reasonably dispute that lockdowns impede the ability of the virus to spread.

Correct. It should equal fewer infections. The numbers are reflecting that. Nothing is final.

I never once said that. I lost 90% of my income as well and it isn't an ideal situation. But I have the respect for those that sacrifice their life for our country is not the same when we have many options for help and support. There are also TONS of places trying to hire and no one will work at them.

$3000/month is a good amount - up to $6,000/month if both people are out of work. This is a much larger amount that the average family gets when they lose a job - which is often under $500/month.

I NEVER implied they were living it up, but there are a lot of resources now that didn't exist a year ago to help bridge this gap.

Those things are not permanent. Don't bank on something. The help is not forever. It's amazing people want to point to the lives lost but cover their eyes to the impact others are suffering this very day and the darkness they feel swallowing them whole. And a lot of those jobs that you mention? They'll swallow up when the reality begins to set in and no one spends money, when the well runs dry.

The jobs will be gone when people go back to eating in restaurants and shopping at malls. They are temporary because of the shut down of other businesses. As those jobs roll off the jobs they replaced will start coming back.

30% is unprecedented but the 1/3 is jobs at risk not guaranteed to be gone. It’s also completely unk at this time if the furloughed workers will come back. 30% unemployment is bad but if half those jobs come back in a few months and some more in 6 months that’s much different than the Great Depression where high unemployment was sustained for years. Some businesses will go under. Others will survive. How fast we recover and how deep the recession is really depends on how things progress with coming out of the lock downs. Move too fast and we face a setback and a potential larger economic impact. Move too slow and more and more businesses will be permanently harmed. We will come out of this economically, eventually.

With what money? You think people are just going to rush back out and spend money when their jobs aren't secure? You're talking about impact that is going to be felt for YEARS. Companies are never going to recover this money. I'm hearing stories of people with small businesses that even with the loans, they're done for because they'll never be able to rebound from this. Those jobs are not coming back. People are not rushing out to theme parks, restaurants, movie theaters, etc. And the ripple effect on vendors, on industries, is unforeseen right now. This is not WW2. This is not the Great Depression. This is not 9/11 or 2008. This has the makings of the worse economical impact this country has ever seen. Even if unemployment goes down, it will be key to keep an eye on wages, because you're going to see companies start driving down wages. Expenses? Those will go higher. What do you think happens then?

Then leave now... and start up your own sovereign entity somewhere because there are going to be multiple stimulus bills to come.

There is zero... zero... chance the government rolls up and says "nope..done... you all just need to work it out" while the country goes through 20+% unemployment and a GDP drop like this.

I'm hopeful, but I don't have that faith yet.

So what you're saying is that if your husband works 2 Full time jobs 80-90 hours a week , you feel he is entitled to 2 unemployment checks weekly? Not in this modern time. It doesn't work that way.

The company he works for though, they pay the unemployment insurance for him.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
In reality, we all wish and dream that if we get furloughed / laid off that it could be replaced with similar incomes... It's going to be a tough road for all from all income levels.

I got laid off two years ago through no fault of my own (company merger). I'm blessed I found another job a month later that paid me more, but it definitely was tough because unemployment doesn't come close to making someone whole if you make more than minimum wage.

MickeyLuv'r

Because people suck at social distancing...and there are some who are purposeful in doing so.

Just like traffic, this comes in two forms. the people who don't even try to keep distance, and the folks who think nothing of standing in the middle of an aisle- blocking it- for an extended period of time while they contemplate what brand of like, applesauce, they want.

Fun part is, these days, you're lucky if the store actually has TWO brands of applesauce in stock!

Lilofan

Corona scam alert !! My elderly relatives already have gotten a phone call by guys claiming to be from a center where the pandemic donations that my family supposedly made to. The caller wanted to ensure the donation is accurate requesting to verify personal information. I was lucky I was with my family that afternoon when the phone call came. I just took the phone and hung up.

rowrbazzle

This is still based off modeling. We could've had no restrictions in place and seen the same numbers. We honestly don't know, that's my point. It's all based off of modeling of what could happen.

I'm curious to see what happens in Sweden with their lack of restrictions. Currently they have a lower infection rate than the US, though their death rate is higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom