Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
They are working to keep the current numbers of infections and deaths lower than they would otherwise be. That was the only claim I made.

This is still based off modeling. We could've had no restrictions in place and seen the same numbers. We honestly don't know, that's my point. It's all based off of modeling of what could happen.

The difference is nobody knows how many of the jobs will come back when everything opens up again. In previous recessions and the Great Depression those jobs were gone not furloughed and it took years to eventually grow back to the equivalent level. When bars and hotels and restaurants and malls reopen a large number of the jobs will immediately return. Some businesses will go under, but not to the level of 40 to 50% unemployment. In the link to the McKinsey analysis I posted earlier they estimate up to 1/3 of American jobs are at risk but that equates to less than 30% unemployment due to the surge of hiring for online retail, grocery stores and delivery services. 2 to 3 million new temporary jobs will be created. Don’t get me wrong, 30% unemployment would be devastating but I haven‘t seen anyone estimate 50%. If so that’s just sensationalism, just like the media hyping the death count from the disease.

30% is still higher than anything we've ever had. How long will the roles that are being hired on for now continue? They're happening because of unprecedented spikes in demand. How long is that going to last? How long before people realize 'Welp, I can't buy anymore food because of storage/cost/etc.' and those jobs are dropped because the demand has died off? In four months, if the additional $600/week is no longer offered, how long until people are sacrificing everything they have and thus not buying on Amazon/Grocery Stores/etc.? Those jobs have been created through unique circumstances and are far from guaranteed to still be here six months from now. In addition, those are low-wage jobs. What happens when you have those making north of $100K start losing their jobs? I promise you, those $13/hr jobs will fall off AND employers don't want high-earners working low-wage jobs because they fear them leaving at the drop of a hat for a better job that pays them closer to what they were making before.

I told y'all Disney was going to ask for government bailout money. Now other media companies will do the same.

Everyone is going to ask for bail out money.

ImperfectPixie

Dude... dudette .... your mom sounds like a narcissist too. There is always a scapegoat (you, myself) and a ‘golden child’ (my brother your sister) sucks...
She absolutely is. And she'll deny that she's ever made decisions that have thrown me under the bus, but she has, time and time again. (It's dudette. ;) )

Don't get me wrong, I've always managed, and have many years under my belt in which I've done very well for myself. But it's hurtful, and in times like these, I'm sure if I asked if we could move in with her because we were losing our house, the answer would be no with all kinds of excuses attached. My sister would sell her house at a large profit and ask the same as a means to save money, and the answer would be yes.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

I just arrived at Kroger. It’s busy. Half of the people are wearing masks.
Personal opinion? Don't let the other half in. Masking really should be about protecting OTHERS - not so much yourself.

We'll be far better off when the US starts to seriously worry about "the other guy". Just as we did in WWII.
My apologies if my personal opinion offends anyone.... we mask in public (and RARELY go out now). But it's mostly to insure that, in some unknown fashion, WE don't cause a problem for some Mom of Four :(.

Jwink

This is still based off modeling. We could've had no restrictions in place and seen the same numbers. We honestly don't know, that's my point. It's all based off of modeling of what could happen.

30% is still higher than anything we've ever had. How long will the roles that are being hired on for now continue? They're happening because of unprecedented spikes in demand. How long is that going to last? How long before people realize 'Welp, I can't buy anymore food because of storage/cost/etc.' and those jobs are dropped because the demand has died off? In four months, if the additional $600/week is no longer offered, how long until people are sacrificing everything they have and thus not buying on Amazon/Grocery Stores/etc.? Those jobs have been created through unique circumstances and are far from guaranteed to still be here six months from now. In addition, those are low-wage jobs. What happens when you have those making north of $100K start losing their jobs? I promise you, those $13/hr jobs will fall off AND employers don't want high-earners working low-wage jobs because they fear them leaving at the drop of a hat for a better job that pays them closer to what they were making before.

Everyone is going to ask for bail out money.
Ugh they really will need to extend that $600... and realistically probably enhance it

Sir_Cliff

They might work. They might not. We're all basing this off of models. If in a year's time, we have a vaccine and only 500K have died in the US, but there are a million dead because of other items attributable to the economic shut down, will it have worked? Some peopel are safe and alive while now others are dead. It's a horrible thought, but there are no models that show the impacts of the other side of it, by shutting down the economy. It's easy to point to the hundreds of thousands, maybe a million or so, whose lives were saved. If a model comes out tomorrow that we project ten million will die due to the economic impact of the decisions made if we stay shut down through end of May, would you feel the same?
If 1 million let alone 10 million people die because of an economic shut down in the US, that should be a cause for serious reevaluation of how the whole country works. The notion that it might be necessary to sacrifice hundreds of thousands of people to a pandemic in order to not incur the greater wrath of an economic system that should be serving human needs rather than controlling them is kind of perverse.

I'm happy that is not the position that seems to be winning out among policy makers so far.

Jwink

She absolutely is. And she'll deny that she's ever made decisions that have thrown me under the bus, but she has, time and time again. (It's dudette. ;) )

Don't get me wrong, I've always managed, and have many years under my belt in which I've done very well for myself. But it's hurtful, and in times like these, I'm sure if I asked if we could move in with her because we were losing our house, the answer would be no with all kinds of excuses attached. My sister would sell her house at a large profit and ask the same as a means to save money, and the answer would be yes.
Yup. I could tell you so many stories about my brother lol! Like how she’s so financially irresponsible that he actually bought the house under his name but had to buy it in a certain area because he’s a felon (he’s a felon and I’m the bad one! 😂😂😂)... (ps don’t get me wrong - I love my bro but because he’s the golden child he does not even remotely see the favoritism) and when she sold my grammas house she had nowhere to live because she didn’t secure anywhere before it. She lived out of swanky hotels for FOUR MONTHS. Literally stayed in a Disney cabin by herself for 14 days... ‘because she wanted to’ 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️ So then they bought the house together and she’s still not working.

but yeah same here. I think right now if it came down to it and we asked to move in it would be met with ‘but coronavirus- kids are carriers’ 🙄🙄

durangojim

Personal opinion? Don't let the other half in. Masking really should be about protecting OTHERS - not so much yourself.

We'll be far better off when the US starts to seriously worry about "the other guy". Just as we did in WWII.
My apologies if my personal opinion offends anyone.... we mask in public (and RARELY go out now). But it's mostly to insure that, in some unknown fashion, WE don't cause a problem for some Mom of Four :(.
The thing with masks, even the thinner surgical ones is there is no harm other than to one’s vanity. Now the CDC and WHO admit their stance may have been incorrect. If something is spread by aerosolized droplets then where is the harm in wearing a mask?

Patcheslee

Our county has just issued a level 2 travel advisory in Indiana. Pretty much the same as state stay-at-home order, but now if pulled over for "unnecessary travel" you can be cited. There's other counties already going to the same or higher levels because the order isn't being followed.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
If 1 million let alone 10 million people die because of an economic shut down in the US, that should be a cause for serious reevaluation of how the whole country works. The notion that it might be necessary to sacrifice hundreds of thousands of people to a pandemic in order to not incur the greater wrath of an economic system that should be serving human needs rather than controlling them is kind of perverse.

I'm happy that is not the position that seems to be winning out among policy makers so far.

Yes, there needs to be a serious reevaluation of how the country works. By that time, it'll be too late. What are the mitigation process to ensure that isn't needed or that millions of lives aren't lost?

For the record, sacrificing hundreds of thousands of people is how all wars are measured before one is started. It's what risk management measures all around when it comes to just about everything (not just measuring of lives, but that is one component).

The thing with masks, even the thinner surgical ones is there is no harm other than to one’s vanity. Now the CDC and WHO admit their stance may have been incorrect. If something is spread by aerosolized droplets then where is the harm in wearing a mask?

I've got no issue wearing a mask. I wonder how little kids will manage with them on. I've got an almost 2 year old. I have no faith he'll keep it on without a helmet also going around his mask to keep his hands away from messing with it.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
I "help" plenty, thanks - after the $2T bailout that was rammed through - no mas, no mas.

Then you're going to see millions homeless. There's no way else to cut it. If the lock downs last until April? May? Either we'll have to have another stimulus or millions will be homeless and companies will go under faster than you can sing "It's a Small World"

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

So much of this is all about WHAT a "mask" is. A simple bandanna, tied "field style" probably won't protect the wearer all that much....
But OH! What it does for OTHERS? That rogue cough or sneeze, that you can't quite catch, will NOT travel at high velocity, up to 27 feet.
That dirt-cheap chunk of cotton over ones face will absolutely not "save" the wearer. It may do a LOT to save others.

So there is the deal - unless we all want to wear NBC Gas Masks (oh, the "B" is Biological).... I propose a shift. Everyone protecting everyone ELSE :).

imsosarah

Potentially losing your job as a result is a massive sacrifice. Let's not discount that and the reality some people are looking at knowing they may have some difficulty finding a job in one of the worst job markets of all time, if not the worst.

Are you seriously saying that losing your job - with the opportunity to have unemployment paid, plus an extra $600/week payment, plus a $1200 payout, plus access to food banks for food, etc, plus waivers for any debt you carry is comparable to having to go to WAR, particularly Vietnam? That is one of the most stomach turning things i've ever heard.

There are a TON of places hiring still - they just are "below" what most want to do. Even in a bad market, there are jobs available.

But a "massive sacrifice" this is not.

imsosarah

So you’re saying that you don’t care about the families that are jobless through no fault of their own and can’t find jobs because too many people are applying for the same jobs?

Glad it’s not up to you where your tax dollars go 🤷🏻‍♀️

There is a lot of that money that isn't going to people. it was not done correctly - should have gone to every adult over 18. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom