Trip Report Blisters! Why Did it Have to be Blisters?! A 2019 Flower and Garden Report COMPLETED

Hello Disney Friends! Welcome to the "Trip Report That Almost Wasn't Posted". More on that in a minute. Now for the details:

Who: Me @LisaBelle and my sister, Tina @TangledTina
What: Tina's 50th Birthday Celebration
When: May 28-June 2, 2019
Where: The Contemporary Resort

How this trip came to be:
In 2016 Tina and I celebrated my 50th birthday by running the runDisney Princess 5k. You can read that trip report here. We knew that we wanted to take a sister's trip for Tina's birthday, but she hadn't decided what she wanted to do. We considered sitting on the beach, a cruise and visiting a new city. Then in July of 2018 our families went on a joint vacation to WDW. That TR is here. That trip had lots of bumps in the road and left Tina wanting another dose of Disney magic. In November of 2018 she called me up to discuss her birthday trip. The conversation went something like this: Tina: How would you feel about spending my birthday trip at Walt Disney World? Me: I'm calling to book it right now! :hilarious:

Because we were experiencing Flower and Garden for the first time we wanted to stay at an Epcot resort. Tina chose the Beach Club and we spent the winter months dreaming of lounging at Stormalong Bay and walking into Epcot via the International Gateway.

Fast forward to about 3 weeks prior to our trip. I received a phone call from Disney saying that they were overbooked at Beach Club and we needed to switch resorts :banghead:. Because of the inconvenience they would discount the price on a monorail resort! After some discussion we decided on the Contemporary. We'd stayed there with our families in July, but we had stayed in one of the Garden Wing buildings. It was a long walk to both the Contempo Cafe and the monorail so this time we wanted to stay in the main building. They were able to accommodate that request so we booked it.

Why this TR almost wasn't posted....
As soon as Tina and I returned from our WDW trip we needed to "finalize" (read completely plan and book :hilarious:) our next family adventure- a 2 week drive from Ohio to Colorado, Wyoming and South Dakota. With those plans made I spent June uploading all of my WDW photos, dealt with Disney concerning Memory Maker issues and finally got those pictures uploaded. Our family vacation took up 2 weeks in July and then it was time for professional development and preparing my classroom for back to school! No worries, I can write my TR on weekends for sure over Thanksgiving and Christmas break, right?! This school year has been crazy busy and suddenly March rolled around and I still hadn't started my TR. Too late now I thought. Flower and Garden 2020 had begun and I felt like no one would want to read about last year's festival when they could real about this year's offerings. Then COVID 19 came along and closed down our beloved Disney World :cry:! With that I decided that now might be a good time to finally post this TR!

So without further ado, here we goooooo!

Monday, May 27, 2019
Today was Memorial Day and my family did our usual cookout while I finished laundry and packing. We were flying out of the Cincinnati airport early Tuesday morning. I live closer to the airport so we decided that Tina would spend the night at my house to make the morning less rushed. Tina sent me this photo as she was packing. Tina had planned to arrive at my house in the evening, but due to laundry/packing issues she was running behind. Then the weather near her turned ugly which delayed her even more. There were actually tornadoes in Dayton that night. Luckily, they weren't close to Tina's home.

Tina finally arrived at my house between 11:30pm and midnight. We double checked our Magic Bands, plane check-in, flight time, etc. As we were discussing our outfits for the next day Tina asked my opinion on which shoes she should wear. She had bought a new pair of shoes that hadn't been broken in yet. They looked great with her outfit and they felt so comfortable when she tried them on that we felt like they should probably be okay. Remember this conversation.

Tuesday, May 28, 2019
Our flight was scheuled to depart at 8am. Because I don't like to be rushed I wanted to be at the airport by 6. This meant we needed to leave my house by 5:30. We woke up about 4:30am. We got dressed, drank a quick cup of coffee and were on the road to the airport by 5:35am. We parked, took the shuttle to the terminal, checked our bags and had made it through security by 6:35. On the way to the gate I sent this text to my family, all of whom were still sound asleep back home.

Tina and I took some airport pictures to pass the time until we could board the plane.

Time passed quickly and by 7:45 we were on the plane!

I channeled my inner J from @riverside's reports and read the safety instructions while we waited for takeoff.

We left the gate at 7:59. During the flight we looked over the Flower and Garden menus to prioritize our food choices for the afternoon. Our original plan was to drop off our bags and hop on the monorail to Epcot. During the flight Tina suggested that we drop off our bags and pop into the MK for a few photos and 1 ride before heading to Epcot. MK is always our first park, so I was excited to keep this tradition alive. Besides, who says no to MK?! Checking our progress.

Our flight was uneventful and we landed at 9:50, which was about 20 minutes ahead of schedule! We used the restroom and jumped in line for Starbucks. We both got a caramel macchiato to drink on the Magical Express.

We checked in with Magical Express and we were first in our line.

We boarded the ME at 10:35 and pulled out of the airport at 10:43.

At 10:47 we received our room ready text. We were super excited about this because we would be able to freshen up a bit before heading to MK!

At 11:07 we drove under the sign and felt like our vacation had officially begun!

Up next: The Contemporary

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Wednesday, May 29, 2019 MK continued...

The view from our elephant.

Tina re-enacted a favorite family photo. On our family trip in 2008 we took a picture of my brother in law Mark high in the air as he was riding Dumbo. His arms were out and he looked something like this...

One of Tina's must do's for this trip was to meet Gaston. Since we were close, we checked the app and saw that he was greeting his fans. We headed over there around 10:00 and by 10:13 we were meeting the man himself.

This was such a fun interaction. Tina's notes said, " Gaston was hysterical. True to form as a self absorbed egotistical hunk. He noticed he could see himself in the reflection of my sunglasses and proceeded to check his hair. Tina asked him something and he said, "Oh, I didn't notice, I was too focused on me." Tina replied, "I would expect that of you!" I'm so glad we were able to meet him, it's one of my favorite memories of the trip.

Up next: We go Unda the Sea

LisaBelle

Original Poster

After leaving Gaston we decided to go unda the sea with Ariel. I think I enjoy the queue almost as much as the ride!

Tina found a photo op with another hunk!

We were ready for a restroom break and a cold drink, so we headed to Gaston's. I liked this sign for the restroom.

Fun shadow!

Tina tried out Gaston's chair!

Our LeFou's Brew was refreshing!

Rejuvenated, we headed out toward our first FP+ of the day.

Up next: On the way to Frontierland!

LisaBelle

Original Poster

We headed out of Gaston's Tavern.

Tina took her traditional picture with Gaston!

I love Beast's castle!

Bonjour Lumiere!

This is one of my favorite areas of Magic Kingdom. The theming always blows my mind.

On my birthday trip in 2016 we sent my daughter a "wish you were here" photo from this spot. We decided to do it again!

During our 2018 trip my son discovered these breakfast sandwiches. He LOVED them. I sent him a picture of the sign.

Then Tina was sprinkled with Pixie Dust! This CM offered her a free Mickey Premium Bar for her Birthday! Spoiler Alert! She didn't turn it down!

It hit the spot as we finished the walk to our first FP+ of the day, BTMR!

Up Next: More BTMR!

LisaBelle

Original Poster

Love the Wildest Ride in the Wilderness! It is my favorite MK attraction.

Here's looking at you @Longers and @Tuvalu!

It was boiling hot and we had some time to kill before our Splash Mountain FP+. We headed over to a covered area near the water. We changed into flip flops, sat in the rocking chairs and relaxed. Tina called home, I took some photos and we enjoyed a conversation with another family.

As you can see from the photo, stand by wait time was 95 minutes. We were very happy to have a FP+!

We had a zip a dee do dah good time!

We got fairly wet, so we dried off and headed to Crystal Palace for lunch with our friends from the Hundred Acre Wood. This was Tina's first time at CP. We checked in and waited about 10 minutes before being called inside.

The view from our table was lovely!

Tina ordered a white sangria.

I ordered a Mimosa.

Up next: Lunch

Longers

Ooh something happy to read in this very uncertain times that will bring a smile to my face. Missing Disney rIght now (as we all are). Even though I don’t get to go loads I love checking in to see what’s going on and queue times etc

Glad you thought of us on BTMRR

Following along - really glad you decided to share your trip with us.

Songbird76

The view from our elephant.

Tina re-enacted a favorite family photo. On our family trip in 2008 we took a picture of my brother in law Mark high in the air as he was riding Dumbo. His arms were out and he looked something like this...

One of Tina's must do's for this trip was to meet Gaston. Since we were close, we checked the app and saw that he was greeting his fans. We headed over there around 10:00 and by 10:13 we were meeting the man himself.

This was such a fun interaction. Tina's notes said, " Gaston was hysterical. True to form as a self absorbed egotistical hunk. He noticed he could see himself in the reflection of my sunglasses and proceeded to check his hair. Tina asked him something and he said, "Oh, I didn't notice, I was too focused on me." Tina replied, "I would expect that of you!" I'm so glad we were able to meet him, it's one of my favorite memories of the trip.

Up next: We go Unda the Sea
I love meeting Gaston!! He's so funny! We met him at DLP a few years ago, and it was just me and my daughter, so I asked him if he thought he could handle 2 women and he said he could handle as many women as there were. It was so hilarious because he was obviously batting for the other team. He played the part well, but I don't think he was looking to handle any women at all.

I've noticed that not all the princes are very good with meet and greets. Flynn was amazing this past summer, and Ericwas ok, mostly because of some rivalry with Flynn, but prince Charming was kind of boring every time we've met him. But Gaston seems to be spot on in every video I've seen...must be fun to be Gaston.

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Ooh something happy to read in this very uncertain times that will bring a smile to my face. Missing Disney rIght now (as we all are). Even though I don’t get to go loads I love checking in to see what’s going on and queue times etc

Glad you thought of us on BTMRR

Following along - really glad you decided to share your trip with us.

So glad you joined in! I always think of you when BTMR is involved! It is so strange to pull up the map on the Disney app and not see any wait times! Take care! Planning to add some more posts later.

I love meeting Gaston!! He's so funny! We met him at DLP a few years ago, and it was just me and my daughter, so I asked him if he thought he could handle 2 women and he said he could handle as many women as there were. It was so hilarious because he was obviously batting for the other team. He played the part well, but I don't think he was looking to handle any women at all.

I've noticed that not all the princes are very good with meet and greets. Flynn was amazing this past summer, and Ericwas ok, mostly because of some rivalry with Flynn, but prince Charming was kind of boring every time we've met him. But Gaston seems to be spot on in every video I've seen...must be fun to be Gaston.
That’s hilarious about Gaston! I agree that the princes can be awkward. In 2018 we met Flynn and he was awesome, but Prince Eric didn’t have much personality. He’s not my favorite, so that may have had something to do with it too!

Songbird76

So glad you joined in! I always think of you when BTMR is involved! It is so strange to pull up the map on the Disney app and not see any wait times! Take care! Planning to add some more posts later.

That’s hilarious about Gaston! I agree that the princes can be awkward. In 2018 we met Flynn and he was awesome, but Prince Eric didn’t have much personality. He’s not my favorite, so that may have had something to do with it too!
I think the most fun characters we have met up to this point were Cinderella's step-sisters. They are hilarious. Chip and Dale were lots of fun on our 2016 trip, and the Mad Hatter was great last Summer. And Flynn and Rapunzel were some of our favorites last Summer. DD was bounding as Rapunzel and had flowers in her braid and Rapunzel gushed about how great she looked, etc. We've had some pretty lackluster meet and greet experiences other than those. We still love it though. It really depends on the day.

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Loving this report...helping to get us through!! Dreaming of Disney days to come someday!

My friend and I had a hilarious interaction with Gaston, as well...one of my favorite things to do in MK!

Matt and Kelly

I’m so happy you decided to write a report! I was just thinking with everything being closed there won’t be anything to report about! Thank you for keeping us entertained during this horrible time. Loving every minute of your sister trip! Hopefully Tina’s feet hold out!
kelly

Minnesota disney fan

Late to the game, but am enjoying it immensely! Thank you for a glimpse of some Disney during this time of staying in and home. :)
We were at Disney right before the virus hit, and I feel so lucky to have been there before it closed. Can't wait for more of your report:)

Spash007

During our 2018 trip my son discovered these breakfast sandwiches. He LOVED them. I sent him a picture of the sign.

Where are these sandwiches, they look so good?! I'm guessing Frontierland? (Which is awesome because I feel like there aren't a ton of breakfast options out that way)

TangledTina

Its
Where are these sandwiches, they look so good?! I'm guessing Frontierland? (Which is awesome because I feel like there aren't a ton of breakfast options out that way)
It’s a cart called Westward Ho that sits by the water near Pecos Bills in Frontierland. Adam was the only one who was hungry for breakfast, and didn’t want to hold the group up waiting in a long line, so it ended up being a great find!

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Hi Everyone! So sorry to abandon you! I am a teacher and this was our first real week of remote learning and it is kicking my butt! In the name of self-care I decided to actually stop doing school work at the end of my school day and do something more fun! Thanks for being patient with me!

I think the most fun characters we have met up to this point were Cinderella's step-sisters. They are hilarious. Chip and Dale were lots of fun on our 2016 trip, and the Mad Hatter was great last Summer. And Flynn and Rapunzel were some of our favorites last Summer. DD was bounding as Rapunzel and had flowers in her braid and Rapunzel gushed about how great she looked, etc. We've had some pretty lackluster meet and greet experiences other than those. We still love it though. It really depends on the day.

Sounds like you've had some great character interactions. Other than Gaston, my favorite was Olaf in 2018. He had all of us cracking up. You are right, it absolutely depends on the day.

Loving this report...helping to get us through!! Dreaming of Disney days to come someday!

My friend and I had a hilarious interaction with Gaston, as well...one of my favorite things to do in MK!
Glad to help you get through. I am still having a hard time wrapping my brain around the reality that Disney is completely closed down right now :cry: ! I consistently hear about good interactions with Gaston. He seems to be less hit or miss than others.

I’m so happy you decided to write a report! I was just thinking with everything being closed there won’t be anything to report about! Thank you for keeping us entertained during this horrible time. Loving every minute of your sister trip! Hopefully Tina’s feet hold out!
kelly

Thanks Kelly! Writing this report is bringing me some joy. My family appreciates my trip reporting because I am making them insane. I have become a major germaphobe and I keep following them around sanitizing everything they touch. More to come on the condition of Tina's feet!

Late to the game, but am enjoying it immensely! Thank you for a glimpse of some Disney during this time of staying in and home. :)
We were at Disney right before the virus hit, and I feel so lucky to have been there before it closed. Can't wait for more of your report:)
So glad you were able to get your trip in before Disney closed. I feel so bad for people who had to cancel their trips. It would be devastating! Happy to have you along!

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Wednesday, May 29, 2019 continued...

Our first visitor was Pooh! I love all the Winnie the Pooh characters, but Pooh holds a special place in my heart. My mom loved to tell a story about how much I loved Pooh when I was a toddler. I was born in the mid 1960's and I believe Sears did some sort of partnership with Disney and Winnie the Pooh. They had a Pooh character at the Sears store at the mall near our house. My mom said that I loved him and kept walking over to him trying to hug him!

I'm pretty sure this was my prime rib.

Not sure which plate was mine and which was Tina's. I remember we both liked prety much everything we chose!

Our mom loved Eeyore! He was her favorite. She passed away a few years ago, so these pictures were in memory of her.

His tail 😍!

Caught Tina with her eyes closed, but the smile says it all! This is one of the many reasons I love Disney so much! Where else can adults meet their favorite childhood characters and feel this care-free?!

Along came P-P-P-Piglet!

While we waited for Tigger to visit we took a few pictures and filled up our plates at the dessert buffet!

Again, I cannot positively identify my own plate, but we enjoyed our sweets!

Up next: We meet Tigger

LisaBelle

Original Poster

Our server brought a birthday card and cupcake for Tina.

Last but certainly not least, Tigger joined the party!

Tigger was so excited to hug the birthday girl!

Tigger is Tina's favorite, so I was really glad that she had a great interaction with him!

We finished our dessert and headed out. A few more photos on the way. The lighting was tricky in here.

Such a beautiful building.

Off to Adventureland!

We popped over to Club 33. I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best!

Disappointed!

My kids always have to stop at these misters, so I of course had to send them a picture.

We'd never done the Pirate's Adventure so we decided to enlist and help Captain Jack Sparrow!

Loved this light!

All the maps.

Ready for our adventure! We had to help Blackbeard.

Up next: Our Pirate's Adventure

LisaBelle

Original Poster

Our mission took us around Adventureland. It was a lot of fun and we received paper Fastpasses for Pirates of the Caribbean for completing our mission! No picture of the FP I guess.

I don't want to give away all of the locations so I won't post all of the pics, but here are a few.

We were ready for a break, so we headed to Main Street. The Festival of Fantasy Parade was blocking our exit, but we didn't mind. It was here that we encountered the rudest Disney guest ever. Tina and I left an appropriate amount of space between ourselves and the people in front of us. Then a women started pushing her way to the front. She shoved past us almost trampling a young boy who was taking pictures. The father of the boy moved in front of her and stood his ground. He was way nicer to her than Tina or I would have been!

We exited the park. The train station looked beautiful!

We walked back to the Contemporary and were met with a Mousekeeping cart outside our door. We were really looking forward to a dip in the pool and a nap, so we were bummed that our plans might be thwarted. Our door wasn't propped open so we headed in. Luckily our room had already been serviced so we were good to go.

Mandatory picture of our door and room number.

I walked into the bathroom and discovered that at some point I had sat in something that left a lovely dark stain on my white shorts :mad:! I tried washing them out in the room but the stain was being stubborn. Naturally the shorts were brand new so I decided to go to the laundry room and throw them in the washer. I changed into my bathing suit and planned to start my laundry load and meet Tina poolside. Tina took a balcony selfie before heading down.

Laundry started, I found us a spot at the pool. This view :joyfull:!

On the way to the pool, this happened.

I had just sat down when she called to tell me she was at the bar and wanted to know what I wanted to drink. It was a no brainer-Pina Colava of course!

Tina had a Cucumber & Mint Vojito: Ketel One Botanical Cucumber & Mint Vodka, Lime Juice and Pure Cane Sugar topped with Soda Water. Sadly I don't have a picture of her drink.

We enjoyed a lovely, relaxing time at the pool. We had a conversation with another guest and made several restaurant suggestions for her family. We were still tired from our long day the day before and we were planning to go back to MK for a special event and evening extra magic hours, so I retrieved my laundry and we headed up to the room for a nap.

Up next: Back to Magic Kingdom

LisaBelle

Original Poster

Refreshed from our nap we walked back to Magic Kingdom. One of Tina's birthday wishes was a first for her. She wanted to make a wish in the Cinderella wishing well. We walked over to the wishing well. There were some late teenage girls standing in front of the wishing well. We hung back and waited for them to make their wishes. We stood there for a good 5 minutes and they didn't seem to be doing anything, so we decided to ask if we could have a turn. They were from another country and indicated they were trying to make a wish. We apologized and they finally made their wish and we were (finally) able to make Tina's birthday wish.

Love Cinderella's mice friends around the base.

I couldn't resist a castle pic!

Then we headed over to Tomorrowland Terrace to check in for another first-the Happily Ever After Garden Dessert Party.

We checked in, were given wristbands that would give us access to the garden viewing area and were shown to our table. We had a reserved spot so we didn't need to worry about losing our table while we went to the buffet. Loved the floating Mickey watermelon in the water! The beverages were water, coffee?, tea, lemonade and sparkling juice or cider.

There were both sweet and savory options. Not sure I remember everything, but I will do my best.
Tina's plate. She had a HEA cupcake with a white chocolate castle, a mousse type dessert maybe lemon, HEA chocolate covered strawberry, bread with spinach artichoke (I think) dip, cheeseburger egg rolls with sauce, cheese cubes, pineapple and watermelon, and a cookies and cream push pop.

My plate. Our plates were pretty much twins except for my grapes. My favorites from this round were the push pop and the cheeseburger egg roll with sauce :hungry:. I saved the white chocolate castle for last and was super disappointed. The edible picture of the castle tasted really weird :(. I am very sad that I don't have a picture of my favorite item of the night. Thought of @Tuvalu because it was my first time ever trying the warm Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake with vanilla ice cream. :hungry: So delicious!

We ate a lot of food and Tina wasn't feeling well. We went to the restroom, got another drink of water and headed to the garden viewing area for HEA. We were some of the last people to arrive so we ended up with a partially obstructed view. Live and learn. Next time we'll eat a little less and arrive at the garden a little earlier. This was the only picture I took. I wanted to be able to enjoy the show. When we visited in 2018 we watched HEA from Main Street. I wanted to be surprised by the show so I hadn't watched any online videos before the trip. I am barely 5 feet tall and it was packed, so I could only see the very top of the castle. Tonight would be the first time I saw the projections in person. It was definitely worth the wait. HEA has grown on me and I listen to the music all the time.

Up next: Where did our Fastpasses go?!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom