Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchdown

The peak is arriving in mid to late April for most of the country. May will be a sliding return to normalcy provided we are able to ramp up testing. I expect by mid to late May we will be at a point where restrictions will begin to be lifted as the CDC will be able to do contact tracing. Once that happens I expect life to return to “normal” with the exception that international travel will be severely restricted if not banned. That won’t be lifted until we have treatment.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
This is not ending anytime soon. Life will not be normal in a month’s time.
It won’t be “normal” in a years time.

As for the immediate, the UK obviously started with this a little sooner. We’re fully expecting the partial lockdown to last to May/June. My workplace has a vested interest in opening ASAP. We’ve been told some of the precautions they’ll be exercising when that time comes. And they’re talking about June - July.

Obviously we hope it won’t be that long but it won’t come as a surprise.

DarkMetroid567

In Disney-related stuff, my very unfounded predictions are that I expect the park re-openings to go Shanghai - Hong Kong - Disneyland - DLP - WDW - TDR

California clearly has a better grasp on the virus than most of the country because of Gov. Newsom, so I'd be shocked if it Disneyland didn't reopen before WDW. DLP and Hong Kong are more wildcards because the former is going through the ringer in brute number of cases, and the latter might be seeing a second wave.

Tokyo will likely get bad though. It's the only Disney Park where local and national governments haven't enacted stay-at-home measures, and even now the majority of the country is pretending that nothing is happening.

5thGenTexan

Now Dr Acton is describing what the other side of the curve will look like... gradual openings, gradual loosening of social distancing restrictions, still at risk of hospitals being overwhelmed for many months to come. “It will be a slow process.”

This is not ending anytime soon. Life will not be normal in a month’s time.

No, this is not ending anytime soon. You have to stop putting any weight on the end dates, the govt has to tell people something and a month at a time is easier psychologically than you have to shelter in place till this is over, whenever that may be.

Personally, I am prepared to stay home away from people as long as need be. I am in a good position supply wise for the long haul.

As bad as it right now, it will get worse. More people will get sick, more people that are in those essential businesses. What happens when the grocery stores close and there is simply no one available to sell anything. What happens when your plumber is sick and cant come to unclog? What if Amazon ends up shutting all of its warehouses? My Chewy order for my cat that usually ship within 30 minutes of my order has been sitting for 4 days before I finally got a shipping notification.

This really is coming down to a potential being on your own for a few months type situation. Its scary to think about the number of people that don't have the skills, supplies, or attitude to go down that road.

21stamps

As for the immediate, the UK obviously started with this a little sooner. We’re fully expecting the partial lockdown to last to May/June. My workplace has a vested interest in opening ASAP. We’ve been told some of the precautions they’ll be exercising when that time comes. And they’re talking about June - July.

I realize that so many people, including Americans here, keep looking at the US on a national level... but we aren’t. In my state, our orders came before the U.K. though I think by only a day or 2. ***edit for correction** just googled it. Looks like quite a few states in the US were a full week earlier than the U.K. on several orders.

I don’t see how businesses can survive that long. I just don’t. At that point government money can’t save them, at the very least it will not save enough to retain all current employees.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Easter Sunday will be a day off for many store employees putting themselves at risk on the front lines during the coronavirus outbreak. Stores including Trader Joe's, Target and Aldi will be closed on Sunday April 12 to give employees working through unprecedented conditions a much-needed break."

Disneyfanman

My company is planning on the recovery taking until October and (honestly) that is wishful thinking. Cash flow projections, expense control, salary reductions, benefits reduced. And we are all happy to still be working. It's a restaurant company and we are all pitching in and doing our best. My industry is one of the most impacted without being completely destroyed, and my company is still operating. Every paycheck that I receive is a blessing. My wife and I are prepared for the worst. Disney reopening is the last thing on our minds.

DarkMetroid567

😲😲😲Japan!!! LOCKDOWN!Now!

I didnt know that.

Japan's response has honestly been surreal. China was in full lockdown and Korea went into intense preventative measures, and Japan basically just went "how about those olympics?"

Abe Shinzo was getting clowned on by Japanese twitter yesterday because the Japanese government announced that they would be providing two cloth facemasks to every household. Only form of support announced so far.

More and more people are starting to self-quarantine but many schools still intend to reopen next week as of right now (they were on spring break), and testing is scarce. Only about 160 tests were conducted yesterday in Tokyo, of which 66 were positive. Their curve is rising.

5thGenTexan

"Easter Sunday will be a day off for many store employees putting themselves at risk on the front lines during the coronavirus outbreak. Stores including Trader Joe's, Target and Aldi will be closed on Sunday April 12 to give employees working through unprecedented conditions a much-needed break."

Nothing should be open on Easter Sunday anyway. Heck, as a kid growing up NO stores were open on Sunday anyway. You still can't buy a car on Sunday in Texas. (Car dealership can be open on Sat or Sun, but not both)

DisneyCane

So, for those that say Mayors and city leaders should be making decisions?

"Hours after Gov. Ron DeSantis issued a statewide stay-at-home order Wednesday, he quietly signed a second order to override restrictions put in place by local governments to halt the spread of coronavirus.

The second order states that new state guidelines that take effect Friday morning “shall supersede any conflicting official action or order issued by local officials in response to COVID-19.” In other words, local governments cannot place any limitations that would be more strict than the statewide guidelines."

"DeSantis signed the second order at 6:36 p.m. — just five hours after he signed the statewide stay-at-home directive. But unlike that first action — which DeSantis unveiled at a well-attended press conference that aired on the state’s cable channel and was sent out in a press release — there was no announcement about the signing of the second order, no press release.

Instead, it was quietly added to the governor’s website."

What I am about to write is not for any political discussion or to express any political opinion. I'm just writing a fact:

The executive order explicitly doesn't supersede any prior executive order. Therefore, the prior executive order related to Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade and Monroe is still in effect. That prior order uses guidelines established for Miami-Dade for the definition of essential activities. Therefore, Palm Beach and south on the east coast are still under the more strict restrictions that were already in place.

trainplane3

Yeesh, that's intense.
So...you going to move to a weekly video release schedule then? It's not like there's anything else better to do 🤣

Just poking some harmless fun.

Kevin_W

Since today has been depressing, I will still cling to the good news that for most of the world, the curve-flattening effort is working:

1585856874317.png

The US obviously still sucks with linearly-increasing cases by day, but Europe has been pretty flat as a whole. My hope is that much of the US rise is a result of increased testing, but I can't find good data on # of tests administered per day (aside from a USA Today article saying it has ramped up rapidly and now >100,000 per day are being processed in the US).

It hasn't even been that bad for us compared to many - my wife and I are employed (I hope that can continue). We live in a school district with the resources for pretty efficient distance learning. But even with that, we're at the end of week 3 right now and it's really hard. The thought of another 4 weeks, at least, is pretty depressing.

21stamps

What I am about to write is not for any political discussion or to express any political opinion. I'm just writing a fact:

The executive order explicitly doesn't supersede any prior executive order. Therefore, the prior executive order related to Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade and Monroe is still in effect. That prior order uses guidelines established for Miami-Dade for the definition of essential activities. Therefore, Palm Beach and south on the east coast are still under the more strict restrictions that were already in place.

Too many people are focussing on DeSantis and not looking at what’s really happening in different areas in the state, particularly SoFla.

1850 vehicles have been turned around and prevented from entering the Keys.

Zoe Leven, 46, tried to drive her Toyota Prius into the Keys and was stopped two separate times by deputies. She was arrested at U.S. 1 and Morris Avenue in Key Largo at 2:10 p.m. March 31.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
You're mixing things together to server your own predisposed conclusion.

One is a PREDICTION of when things will be the worse... the other is a MEASUREMENT of reality.

We'll know the peak because the data - not the models - will show things declining.

Not mixing anything together.

DisneyDoctor

I don't think we can just say people who work while sick are being selfish. It's not like it's fun to work when you feel awful. If they were being selfish they'd stop working. Working while sick seems more like a behavior one does to help the company or customers. Or it's something you do if you don't have good benefits or fear for your job if you do call in sick. You said it yourself: "there was a lot of work to get done."
In the setting of a pandemic? Are you serious?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom