Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyGigi

I donā€™t get the church thing. Ours has been shut down for around 3 weeks, it is a large church, but they are doing online services. Why stay at home all week then go to church on Sunday morning with at least 1500 people? Makes no sense. There are other ways to still be able to worship, without sitting hip to hip in pews. This is a mistake imo. šŸ˜³

Stripes

not in florida! 75% of my husband's weekly pay is more than $875 because he has 2 jobs
In Florida, the maximum payment is about $3,762 per month ($875 multiplied by 4.3 weeks). Thatā€™s about $200 higher than the U.K.ā€™s maximum monthly payment of Ā£2,500, purchasing power parity adjusted.

JohnD

I donā€™t get the church thing. Ours has been shut down for around 3 weeks, it is a large church, but they are doing online services. Why stay at home all week then go to church on Sunday morning with at least 1500 people? Makes no sense. There are other ways to still be able to worship, without sitting hip to hip in pews. This is a mistake imo. šŸ˜³

I agree. We started streaming in January. Now our parishioners are hip to the tech and large number of the congregation is ā€œtuningā€ in. Do we want to meet again in person? Absolutely, but we have affirmatively communicated weā€™re streaming until further notice.

Piebald

I think my wedding in Italy has officially been canceled. Not postponed, but canceled. No refund and the vendors have pretty much thrown their hands up. The venue told us we could consider 2022. I was never too optimistic about rescheduling this successfully for fall, but this seems to have been the nail in the coffin.

I know a wedding in Italy has nothing to do with Disney per se, but with so many people thinking ahead of things going back to normal real fast, it seems like folks in the thick of it right now are not even considering the near future. I dont know if this bodes well for a lot of extracurricular stuff in life, Disney included. I really wish this would end but it's like the opposite is happening and it's only beginning.

Piebald

This is everyones worst nightmare. I mean yes there are supremely worse things in life that could happen (asteroid slamming into the earth, nuclear holocaust, a pandemic with an insanely higher mortality rate)

Could things be worse? Oh yes. Are things still pretty bad all things considered? Yes.

21stamps

Compared to other countries the USA has been very slow. You just have to look at flights still going on in USA. The last day at disney world was one big party and most countries had already started major lockdown. Just look at Australia the highest number of overseas cases brought into to Australia were from travellers that had been in USA (besides one cruise ship which is over 400 cases now)

By the time of that last day of WDW, many states already had school closures and other restrictions.. thatā€™s why Iā€™m so surprised.
Weā€™re almost on week 3 here, and nothing is letting up, thereā€™s still no end in sight. Our restrictions will be extended tomorrow, Iā€™m assuming they will be thru the end of April, with a reassessment at that time.

JohnD

I think my wedding in Italy has officially been canceled. Not postponed, but canceled. No refund and the vendors have pretty much thrown their hands up. The venue told us we could consider 2022. I was never too optimistic about rescheduling this successfully for fall, but this seems to have been the nail in the coffin.

I know a wedding in Italy has nothing to do with Disney per se, but with so many people thinking ahead of things going back to normal real fast, it seems like folks in the thick of it right now are not even considering the near future. I dont know if this bodes well for a lot of extracurricular stuff in life, Disney included. I really wish this would end but it's like the opposite is happening and it's only beginning.

I can understand cancelled but no refund??? Wow.

LittleBuford

By the time of that last day of WDW, many states already had school closures and other restrictions.. thatā€™s why Iā€™m so surprised.
Weā€™re almost on week 3 here, and nothing is letting up, thereā€™s still no end in sight. Our restrictions will be extended tomorrow, Iā€™m assuming they will be thru the end of April, with a reassessment at that time.

It seems you're less sceptical about the need for these measures. That's what I'm getting from your more recent posts anyway.

Polynesia

Hang in there. It will end. And youā€™ll reschedule and have the wedding of your dreams. Have faith. The reason weā€™re on this board is because we havenā€™t given up. We love Disney and thatā€™s what brought us together. Sure, things get heated a bit. We all have different opinions. In the end weā€™re all looking forward to turning this corner where there will be better days ahead Tempers and the stress will start to melt away. People will once again be planning for their future as you will with your wedding. I wish you the best.

Piebald

Same thing is happening in the US. My neighborā€™s daughter is getting married, was supposed to be in 2 weeks, everything is paid in full- band, venue, food, flowers, photographers.... her mom can not get a refund.. has to reschedule on the venues timetable, and hope all of the vendors have a availability on that same date.
Interestingly, the hotel is now more expensive for September, by $300 more per night, than it was for April, booked well before the outbreak.
Yes I think people are being a bit too optimistic and I was sharing an anecdote in case people are pushing things out to later this year or trying to hang on to hope on some stuff. Of course a Disney trip is much easier to refund vs a foreign country event but these are very unstable industries right now.

21stamps

Yes I think people are being a bit too optimistic and I was sharing an anecdote in case people are pushing things out to later this year or trying to hang on to hope on some stuff. Of course a Disney trip is much easier to refund vs a foreign country event but these are very unstable industries right now.
Completely understand.
I hope you can work out a reasonable solution when things calm down a bit. Iā€™m sorry this is happening to you.

LittleBuford

I was not overly skeptical of the original order. It had an end date, and while severely inconvenient, I understood it. I am growing more scared as I watch the restrictions be extended, and cases rising... I donā€™t think things will be back to normal soon. I fear for our economy so badly.. Honestly, Iā€™ve never felt this kind of fear and uncertainty. I always have a plan, no matter what, even if it has to be made suddenly, I can always envision the other side.. because of that, I always know that I or we (as in the country) will be ok.
In this situation, I canā€™t see the other side. Itā€™s terrifying.

I think most of us are feeling this way, and perhaps thatā€™s something that will bring you some comfortā€”that weā€™re all in this together. If nothing else, this crisis can help us to recognise and value our common humanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom