What's Still On and What's Now Off

EvilChameleon

What kind of lead time WDW would need to reopen? Say social distancing ended tomorrow, has everything been maintained enough to open everything up Friday? EPCOT seems to be the one that'll take the most time, due to World Showcase and all that, but I suppose they can just open Future World.

havoc315

If you think Disney will be “aggressive” to reopen and try to gamble on “percentages”...I think you got the wrong company.

This is a major issue for operations like Disney parks.

The problem is that’s the ENTIRE park. The potential to make money is MUCH greater in Epcot. Rides don’t make money...quite the opposite or we wouldn’t have fast pass.

The issue is the cost and whether a smaller cost at mgm makes it more advantageous?

I also disagree with the idea that EPCOT is the “least popular” by far. it’s more than gate clicks...which are FIRST gate clicks. Studios has funneled people late in the day to Epcot since the day it opened. That won’t ever go away.

Epcot does not have much revenue potential if all/most indoor venues are closed/limited. Take away the restaurants and the indoor rides.... you’re left with nothing but a lake to stroll around.
Animal Kingdom has safari and Everest and triceratop spin, all mostly outdoors. Most likely to be able to open with infection controls.
DHS has Slinky Dog and alien saucers.
MK has a bunch of spinners and outdoor coasters.
Epcot has nothing.
(See WDW pro’s post citing that parks may open with only a tiny percentage of operating attractions).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What kind of lead time WDW would need to reopen? Say social distancing ended tomorrow, has everything been maintained enough to open everything up Friday? EPCOT seems to be the one that'll take the most time, due to World Showcase and all that, but I suppose they can just open Future World.

Disney could immediately call up their overnight reserves for day duty...

havoc315

If you think Disney will be “aggressive” to reopen and try to gamble on “percentages”...I think you got the wrong company.

This is a major issue for operations like Disney parks.

The problem is that’s the ENTIRE park. The potential to make money is MUCH greater in Epcot. Rides don’t make money...quite the opposite or we wouldn’t have fast pass.

The issue is the cost and whether a smaller cost at mgm makes it more advantageous?

I also disagree with the idea that EPCOT is the “least popular” by far. it’s more than gate clicks...which are FIRST gate clicks. Studios has funneled people late in the day to Epcot since the day it opened. That won’t ever go away.

They gamble on percentages every day. Every day, people get hurt at the park.

and how are you going to make money at Epcot if all/most restaurants and shops are closed?

There are rumors Disney will run with just a handful of attractions open.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They gamble on percentages every day. Every day, people get hurt at the park.

and how are you going to make money at Epcot if all/most restaurants and shops are closed?

There are rumors Disney will run with just a handful of attractions open.
People fall out of their ecv at chef mickeys...you seem pretty informed, but are not spanning the “bridge” to how this type of threat is vastly different.

And that’s why I said “potential” at Epcot. Opening rides and running staff and unscreened customers through abramsland is not a license to print money. It’s not like people show up in the morning and buy one day tickets. That money is banked far in advance...which means Disney can “direct” them anywhere they want...including Epcot.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
How much $$$ would Mickey Mouse Co. lose if they simply wait it out > keep it closed to the public to enact major change (new attractions, repairs, etc) through the entirety of summer > reopen it to grand fanfare in time for the 50th?
That would be a very drastic move indeed...but closure would slash improvements...not accelerate them.

And I have to say this again: the “50th” was gonna see a modest rise in attendance...perhaps 5% on the year...even if this hadn’t happened.

People have been hyping this for 5 years as if 50,000,000 people were going to show up this year and somehow 80,000,000 will next. That’s not how it works...they would equal themselves out as has always happened.

The 50th has been snakeoil to wdw fans from the start. It was just gonna be more crowded...but slightly more. You can’t fit 12 people in a room at Dixie landings cause it’s “the 50th”

havoc315

People fall out of their ecv at chef mickeys...you seem pretty informed, but are not spanning the “bridge” to how this type of threat is vastly different.

And that’s why I said “potential” at Epcot. Opening rides and running staff and unscreened customers through abramsland is not a license to print money. It’s not like people show up in the morning and buy one day tickets. That money is banked far in advance...which means Disney can “direct” them anywhere they want...including Epcot.

again...1 possibility being rumored is keeping restaurants and indoor areas closed. So if all indoor venues are closed, what is there for guests to do at Epcot?

As to your theory that Disney would never take risks with coronavirus, then why were they so slow to close in the first place???

what you’re suggesting — which I admit is possible — is that Disney World will stay closed for approximately the next 16-24 months. Until risk of coronavirus is reduced to risk of measles.
While I wouldn’t deny that the possibility exists, my best guess is they re-open sometime in the next 6 months with remedial measures that reduce risk. (And no, we aren’t going to have herd immunity by then).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
again...1 possibility being rumored is keeping restaurants and indoor areas closed. So if all indoor venues are closed, what is there for guests to do at Epcot?

As to your theory that Disney would never take risks with coronavirus, then why were they so slow to close in the first place???

what you’re suggesting — which I admit is possible — is that Disney World will stay closed for approximately the next 16-24 months. Until risk of coronavirus is reduced to risk of measles.
While I wouldn’t deny that the possibility exists, my best guess is they re-open sometime in the next 6 months with remedial measures that reduce risk. (And no, we aren’t going to have herd immunity by then).
Keeping indoor spaces closed is not a viable plan. It’s florida...the parks were built to shelter away from the heat...all of them. Magic kingdom would have about 8 functioning attractions and no food service if that were the case. Not going to happen.

If that’s the plan...they might as well stay closed.

I don’t think they’ll be closed for a year or more...but I gotta be honest I think it may be 6 months. I hope not but I wouldn’t be surprised. Disney is very risk averse...always have been. Even if You’re greedy - as the bobs are - you can’t trade on a fictitious world of ageless “joy” if you are seen as wreckless by the public.

We’re gonna see just how much “risk” they’ll take. My opinion is it’s less than people think.

Last edited:

The Pho

That would be a very drastic move indeed...but closure would slash improvements...not accelerate them.

And I have to say this again: the “50th” was gonna see a modest rise in attendance...perhaps 5% on the year...even if this hadn’t happened.

People have been hyping this for 5 years as if 50,000,000 people were going to show up this year and somehow 80,000,000 will next. That’s not how it works...they would equal themselves out as has always happened.

The 50th has been snakeoil to wdw fans from the start. It was just gonna be more crowded...but slightly more. You can’t fit 12 people in a room at Dixie landings cause it’s “the 50th”
People seem to expect a boost like Disney World had for its 25th. Magic Kingdom had like a 30% attendance boost, which would just make the park miserably busy if it happened now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
People seem to expect a boost like Disney World had for its 25th. Magic Kingdom had like a 30% attendance boost, which would just make the park miserably busy if it happened now.
That was a different time when there was a lot coming on line in wdw...people forgot that blizzard, downtown Disney in its expanded form, and about 6 wdw hotels were coming on line or less than 5 years old.

The Eisner/Wells design was to overbuild so that the property could handle a huge Increase as they strived for longer, more frequent trips.

Iger never did that...instead retrofitting rack rooms to dvc and adding there for a more stable “money in the bank” approach as well.

And when DAK opened, that game was over anyway...as park cannibalization starts in earnest and the cost of adding more employees created diminishing returns.

There’s a reason why they do upsells now...it’s more money with the same people (with standard growth over time)

havoc315

Keeping indoor spaces closed is not a viable plan. It’s florida...the parks were built to shelter away from the heat...all of them. Magic kingdom would have about 8 functions attractions and no food service if that were the case. Not going to happen.

I don’t think they’ll be closed for a year or more...but I gotta he honest I think it may be 6 months. I hope not but I wouldn’t be surprised. Disney is very risk averse...always have been. Even if You’re greedy - as the bobs are - you can’t trade on a fictitious world of ageless “joy” if you are seen as wreckless by the public.

We’re gonna see just how much “risk” they’ll take. My opinion is it’s less than people think.

I'd say 6 months is certainly possible. But even at 6 months, it would have to be with significant remedial measures.

It's hard to say what plan is or is not viable. Just spit balling here: They could keep most of the in-park indoor areas closed. But have a handful of stuff open, at low/no cost for use for hotel guests. Thus, it would be a way to at least make money off the hotels.

But I have no idea what level of remedial measures we will see. I do expect all 4 parks would be open. But I expect attendance limits (possibly closing down the parks except for onsite + AP). I lean towards thinking there will be mandatory masking, at least for cast members. But potentially for all guests. I expect attractions that are especially hard to constantly sterilize will be closed. I expect major limits on character meet and greets, possibly disappearing totally.

All these remedial measures.. including limits on attendance, will open the question of, at what point is it fiscally better just to keep the parks closed?

If we see a 12+ month delay until park opening, it will be because the necessary remedial measures just make operating the parks unprofitable. If they really want to open "normally"... it probably would have to be 12-20 months. Possibility of 6-9 months, but highly unlikely.

SilentWindODoom

But what I meant was they are now going to regret their move toward project shows. I get it...it allows for overlays and upsells...it allows them to reduce the raw cost by lessening fireworks if they choose...but it creates a bottleneck/focal point that no longer works.

I wonder what the feasability is for expanding the projections around the castle. The fireworks wouldn't line up, but they didn't for Wishes at any other angle.

Either way, glad for the technology since it gave us Runaway Railway and may bring more advancements.

The reason I singled Epcot out is because it’s such a large park that requires a lot of CM’s to operate. MK and DAK seem like the easiest and cheapest to open and operate with restrictions and limited capacity.
Why are you making up stuff? Do you even bother to fact check these 'facts' you throw out?

Epcot has always had a perception due to its original goals that sticks in the minds of people. Some think it's the boring park. Some thinks it's a few rides and a mall. While people may hit all four parks they might rate Epcot as their least favorite.

Having read numerous threads in the wake of all this happening, I've seen the perception of Epcot closing be posed and then grow. If I recall correctly it was theorized and then one of the insiders said it was possible. Why was it theorized?

1. The amount of work being done and the idea many have that it can be done double time if no guests are present.

2. The fact that international cast members were sent home and international travel may be more difficult for longer than it takes for things to be lax enough to open the parks, meaning the World Showcase loses a lot of its soul.

3. Festivals being nigh impossible to run with great health risks. It's asking people to bunch up and eat (removing masks if they have them) together.

4. No theatre shows or Mission: Space (those cabins are tiny), cutting down the attraction count to 6.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Keeping indoor spaces closed is not a viable plan. It’s florida...the parks were built to shelter away from the heat...all of them. Magic kingdom would have about 8 functions attractions and no food service if that were the case. Not going to happen.

I don’t think they’ll be closed for a year or more...but I gotta be honest I think it may be 6 months. I hope not but I wouldn’t be surprised. Disney is very risk averse...always have been. Even if You’re greedy - as the bobs are - you can’t trade on a fictitious world of ageless “joy” if you are seen as wreckless by the public.

keeping indoor areas closed and people spread out and then have one of those Florida pop up severe storms and then what happens

EricsBiscuit

Sadly that shows a) how underdeveloped the park is b) the low capacity of most of the attractions and c) no correlation to how busy that - or any other park - was.
Or it shows that they’ve created a park with a slate of very popular attractions that are drawing many guests. I have been going to DHS my whole life and have never seen the park as busy as it has been the last year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom