Top 5 Scenes or Moments on an Attraction at DLR

Mac Tonight

1. Bayou thru First Drop - Pirates of the Caribbean
It's been stated by many others, but there's just nothing that matches this sequence in terms of pure world-building and story transition. Super fun to watch first-timers get their feet "wet" literally and metaphorically on this great attraction.

2. Stretching Room - Haunted Mansion
Much like the Pirates scenes, this takes the normal, unassuming situation and literally transforms it before your eyes. And yes, while their are some annoyances surrounding it's crowded nature, or when someone has their phones out during the whole thing, as a whole, its still a perfect set-up for what's to come.

3. Main Room - Indiana Jones
Basically the entire room on the ride when you first turn left past the Indy figure and that iconic theme kicks into high gear. Too many good moments to name individually. Some of the best non-coaster thrills at the park.

4. Grand Canyon/Primeval World Dioramas - DLRR
There's just something pure Disney about these scenes. It's like a mini-ride within the ride and something that instantly transports you back to Walt's years.

5. Lincoln Standing - Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
Trying to put yourself in the mind-frame of someone in 1964 seeing this for the first time is pretty daunting, but I can't help but still be awed by it. The show as a whole has that same indefinable quality to it that only comes from having Walt's fingerprints on it.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

5. Lincoln Standing - Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
Trying to put yourself in the mind-frame of someone in 1964 seeing this for the first time is pretty daunting, but I can't help but still be awed by it. The show as a whole has that same indefinable quality to it that only comes from having Walt's fingerprints on it.

Back in 2015 a coworker of mine got a Disneyland pass to go with friends regularly. After his first trip, I asked what he thought- and the one moment he brought up was Lincoln standing. "When that figure stood up I was absolutely blown away"

It's amazing that such a simple effect can still awe audiences after 50 years. I think its something combined with the deep rooted love for America and its ideals most feel, the combination of being at Disneyland and seeing a show with the legacy the Lincoln show has, and the emotional symbolism of having Abraham Lincoln rise in front of you... sure, you don't think about all of that in the moment but it's one of those rare times where everything clicks.

Mac Tonight

Back in 2015 a coworker of mine got a Disneyland pass to go with friends regularly. After his first trip, I asked what he thought- and the one moment he brought up was Lincoln standing. "When that figure stood up I was absolutely blown away"

It's amazing that such a simple effect can still awe audiences after 50 years. I think its something combined with the deep rooted love for America and its ideals most feel, the combination of being at Disneyland and seeing a show with the legacy the Lincoln show has, and the emotional symbolism of having Abraham Lincoln rise in front of you... sure, you don't think about all of that in the moment but it's one of those rare times where everything clicks.
I'm glad it's not just me then :)

Seriously though, I think it's the "come alive" moment that just sets it apart. Other park AA's do move, but for the most part, they're either always standing, or always sitting. To see one figure that can do both? Now that's special.

disneyC97

I grew up on the East Coast and went to Walt Disney World a ton from the ‘70s on and first went to Disneyland in college (1995) and have gone back many times since. I love WDW but Disneyland has a specialness that’s hard to pinpoint. Here are my top five:

1. Agree with many above...the bayou through the caverns to the second waterfall in Pirates is just amazing.
2. The Grand Canyon and Primeval World… One of those plusses at Disneyland that Florida often lacks. It feels like a ride through a Disney television show from the 50s or 60s which I love.
3. The Sleeping Beauty Castle walk-through...a Disneyland detail not duplicated anywhere else. Plus it’s just cool to walk through the castle. And SB is my favorite Disney animated film.
4. The Space Mountain lift hills. I get goosebumps when the music starts.
5. The Tiki Room Garden...I hope it never goes away.
Honorable Mention: the Mr. Lincoln lobby/Disneyland Story. The most relaxing, calm space in the park IMHO. Feels like vintage Disney in a great way.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I grew up on the East Coast and went to Walt Disney World a ton from the ‘70s on and first went to Disneyland in college (1995) and have gone back many times since. I love WDW but Disneyland has a specialness that’s hard to pinpoint. Here are my top five:

1. Agree with many above...the bayou through the caverns to the second waterfall in Pirates is just amazing.
2. The Grand Canyon and Primeval World… One of those plusses at Disneyland that Florida often lacks. It feels like a ride through a Disney television show from the 50s or 60s which I love.
3. The Sleeping Beauty Castle walk-through...a Disneyland detail not duplicated anywhere else. Plus it’s just cool to walk through the castle. And SB is my favorite Disney animated film.
4. The Space Mountain lift hills. I get goosebumps when the music starts.
5. The Tiki Room Garden...I hope it never goes away.
Honorable Mention: the Mr. Lincoln lobby/Disneyland Story. The most relaxing, calm space in the park IMHO. Feels like vintage Disney in a great way.

Love your explanation of #2. Spot on.

Unfortunately The Tiki Garden now has half the charm it used to but it’s still there.

disneyC97

Love your explanation of #2. Spot on.

Unfortunately The Tiki Garden now has half the charm it used to but it’s still there.
Thanks! Glad someone got what I meant.

Have not been since the ramp install but as long as the various gods and goddesses come to life I’m good. Also love the Florida Tiki pre-show...created back when things weren’t just duplicated!

mickEblu

Original Poster
Indy Ball Scene
Such an iconic movie moment. How to do an IP, find out where the fun is, what the audience loves about the world, and do that. Technically brilliantly executed too. You had no idea your seats were this far up, and lose track of what's actually moving.

Railroad Primeval World.
Just drive me slowly past real scale dinosaurs.

ST Hoth.
Best moment of the movie series and of ST.
Also the one screen based entry in this thread. Really, the emotional connection, the place making, the transportation to other worlds is done with live sets, not screens.

Submarines before Nemo
You have about 45 seconds of a really good ride before the stupid sets in. Can't beat the part of being in an actual submarine off to explore!

Tiki thunder scene
Never gets old.

Well I do have a couple of Soarin Over California scenes in my honorable mentions. But yes your screen entry is the only one in any Top 5.

Phroobar

Vintage ones:

1. Star Tours reveal of the Death Star below you.
2. Adventure thru Inner Space - the eyeball looking at you
3. People Mover - Flying above the World of Tron and racing with the Light Cycles.
4. Submarine Voyage - seeing the sea serpent head.
5. Tower of Terror - Seeing the people in the elevator drop right before you do

smooch

These are loosely ordered, but #1 is firm because it is my favorite ride and fills me with such wonder and awe.

1. The pirate ship scene in PoTC
2. The Stretching Room in HM
3. When you go around the perimeter of the Matterhorn and you overlook Disneyland
4. When you enter the cave in Indy and see the whole area for the first time
5. When you reach the top of the big lift hill in BTMRR and overlook the whole RoA / Frontierland area of the park

waltography

In no particular order:

1. The whole lift sequence in Space Mountain; the music gets to me.
2. The pivot into the cavern on Indy while another transport's crossing the bridge.
3. The grand reveal of the Star Destroyer in RotR.
4. The final lift hill in BTMRR with the mine explosions.
5. Smelling the orange groves in Soarin' Over California (and the sea breeze in Soarin' Around the World).

Honorable mention goes to the one time my friends and I rode BTMRR just as the fireworks began. It was our last ride of the night and the view of the show is spectacular. The realest Disney magic I've ever experienced.

disneyC97

In no particular order:

1. The whole lift sequence in Space Mountain; the music gets to me.
2. The pivot into the cavern on Indy while another transport's crossing the bridge.
3. The grand reveal of the Star Destroyer in RotR.
4. The final lift hill in BTMRR with the mine explosions.
5. Smelling the orange groves in Soarin' Over California (and the sea breeze in Soarin' Around the World).

Honorable mention goes to the one time my friends and I rode BTMRR just as the fireworks began. It was our last ride of the night and the view of the show is spectacular. The realest Disney magic I've ever experienced.
I once lucked out and was on the Fantasyland side of the Matterhorn during the fireworks. Truly amazing. Could not have purposely timed it like that if I tried!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom