Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"A man who had been exposed to the coronavirus and who was himself feeling sick hid his symptoms from staff at Strong Memorial Hospital so he could join his expectant wife in the maternity center. He confessed only when his wife began to show symptoms of COVID-19 shortly after giving birth."

ImperfectPixie

"A man who had been exposed to the coronavirus and who was himself feeling sick hid his symptoms from staff at Strong Memorial Hospital so he could join his expectant wife in the maternity center. He confessed only when his wife began to show symptoms of COVID-19 shortly after giving birth."

Holy hell...what was he thinking?!?

Animaniac93-98

There will likely be a spike in cases when everything opens up again, simply because of the increase in people moving and coming into contact with each other.

It will be interesting to see what the reaction would be then. Back to square one, where we are now? New restrictions? etc

DisneyDoctor

So your belief is that this event will change people to a point they won’t or will limit their ventures to densely populated destinations for the rest of their lives? I don’t have an opinion one way or another. Just want to make sure I understand you correctly.
Will question the necessity of visiting such densely populated areas.

rowrbazzle

3K people just going about their everyday lives just gone that terrible 9/11 morning. In the next 2 weeks 100K-240K Americans will lose their lives to this terrible coronavirus. Our way of life will forever change even with a vaccine.

In the next two weeks? I hadn't heard that timeline before.

I know they're not making them up, but those numbers still seem crazy to me. We have 187,000 cases right now. Even at 1.5% mortality we'd need 11.3 million cases to hit the midpoint of that projection for deaths. And that's with distancing...

DisneyDoctor

I would believe this if America was staying isolated by their own choice today - the vast majority are doing it because the government is forcing them to do it. If Disneyland were open today and locals were allowed to go there, I believe it would be overwhelmed from people trying to get out of their home prisons. Even in the height of the anxiety.
That's a fair point. Maybe I'm speaking from personal opinions and shouldn't generalize to everyone.

DisneyDoctor

That’s a good point. Disneyland however seems to be made up of more locals. When I lived in California the parks were jammed with them. It’s a totally different vibe in the California parks. I do try to stay optimistic. With so much negativity in the works, especially lately, it helps to stay positive. Things will be different. But the love of Disney will stay with many.
I'm with you on the importance of optimism. Especially when only deaths are reported rather than recoveries, etc.

Rimmit

No poll obviously, just seeing how busy the parks were right before they were closed (even though Disney had already announced they would be closing due to the virus), how crowded the beaches were before they were forced to shut down, etc. Southern California has a population of 24 million, only takes 100,000 to pack DLR.

On Mar 13th the day of the Announcement there were 48 total deaths. On Mar 15th the day they closed there were 69 total deaths in the US. We have over 3800 total deaths (800 more than 9/11) now and it isn’t exactly slowing.

A LOT has changed in 16 days.

Also, a small sample size of beach goers is not exactly enough to extrapolate to the ”vast majority.” Even for a basic majority to feel forced you would need 165,000,000 people and for a “vast majority” or about Seventy five percent you would need at least 247,500,000 people to feel forced to isolate.

I have not done any polling but I doubt 247,500,000 feel they are forced into isolation. Are they happy about it, no, definitely not, but many are very scared (as am I) and definitely aren’t doing it at Gun point.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I know they're not making them up, but those numbers still seem crazy to me. We have 187,000 cases right now. Even at 1.5% mortality we'd need 11.3 million cases to hit the midpoint of that projection for deaths. And that's with distancing...
Its not in the next 2 weeks, it’s over the whole outbreak. It’s just a model so could be off. The guy who built the model said it assumes social distancing in place through the end of May and that other urban areas will end up hot spots similar to NYC.

DisneyDoctor

For a year or so that may be true. I don’t see this virus as a permanent change to people’s mentality on travel or large gatherings.
I think you're probably right.

Idk why, but I foresee a possibility in which some people question WDW vs. some other destination in the world. Given all that's transpired lately with COVID and social distancing, maybe this pushes more people to see other non-Disney destinations. Could be wrong, though, been wrong before.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

the task force gave out these numbers today. Not sure about the timeframe but the next two weeks are supposed to be bad. And these numbers are based on doing mitigation. I believe this is the first time they provided estimates because they wanted to have some data before doing so. Without mitigation, they said it would have been 1 to 2 million.

the hope we have is that this is still just a model and is only as good as the data available. They alluded to that, but just slightly.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think you're probably right.

Idk why, but I foresee a possibility in which some people question WDW vs. some other destination in the world. Given all that's transpired lately with COVID and social distancing, maybe this pushes more people to see other non-Disney destinations. Could be wrong, though, been wrong before.
International travel will be the last thing that comes back. It May take a few years to ramp back up.

hopemax

It looks like there were two separate points made in today's briefing that got combined into one thing. Because, well, these things happen in following a White House briefing.

A. The next two weeks are going to be horrible. So everyone needs to do their part and stay home. Trumps comments were: "This could be a hell of a bad two weeks. This is going to be a very bad two or maybe even three weeks. This is going to be three weeks like we've never seen before."

B. They are expecting the virus to kill 100,000-240,000. But I think this is the same charts that we've seen before that run through the end of July. Dr. Birx said Dr. Fauci also say this is the number that still can be brought down with effective social distancing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom