News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

raymusiccity

One could argue that a walk-through experience would be lame, but imagine walking into the house with a live actress making all sorts of crazy practical effects happen... If we can't have a ride, there is a LOT of potential in something like this. I'm hoping this won't get cut, whatever it is. But I can't see Disney spending money on live entertainment nowadays. I loved the Jack the Lamplighter actor sketched into one of the concept art pieces. Imagine the energy the area could have...
Just repurpose the Gene Kelly animatronic. Stick a chimney broom in his hand instead of an umbrella!
:)

Sir_Cliff

The most recent insider takes is that Poppins was *not* in the end going to be a carousel, but an experience more akin to Enchanted Tales with Belle.

But now, likely to be pushed off for years if ever to come about.
I think I'd prefer that they gave the Beauty & the Beast sing-a-long the axe and added a Mary Poppins sing-a-long in the UK pavilion. At least more mature park goers can down a few pint in the Rose & Crown and wander over for a spirited sing-a-long. Come to think of it, a Spice Girls sing-a-long might also be good in that context. Perhaps that could be their after dark option?

An Enchanted Tales with Belle-style attraction may as well not exist for a large among of park-goers.

aladdin2007

I think I'd prefer that they gave the Beauty & the Beast sing-a-long the axe and added a Mary Poppins sing-a-long in the UK pavilion. At least more mature park goers can down a few pint in the Rose & Crown and wander over for a spirited sing-a-long. Come to think of it, a Spice Girls sing-a-long might also be good in that context. Perhaps that could be their after dark option?

An Enchanted Tales with Belle-style attraction may as well not exist for a large among of park-goers.

I wish!

Rob562

The most recent insider takes is that Poppins was *not* in the end going to be a carousel, but an experience more akin to Enchanted Tales with Belle.

But now, likely to be pushed off for years if ever to come about.

So perhaps something like the Cinderella M&G experience in the first version of the Fantasyland Expansion? Instead of seeing Cinderella transform in front of you from rags to ball gown you'll see Mary transform from nanny clothes to Jolly Holiday or Royal Doulton dress?

-Rob

Epcot82Guy

Actually, a sing along a la Frozen at Studios could be rather cool. Build a theater inspired by the Royal - Drury Lane or another famous UK theater. And you could keep it fresh with rotating shows between the original and sequel. With the Pearlies or Cherry Tree Lane Players or the like. Could be a nice way to celebrate Mary. (Just armchair Imagineering, of course.)

Rteetz

So perhaps something like the Cinderella M&G experience in the first version of the Fantasyland Expansion? Instead of seeing Cinderella transform in front of you from rags to ball gown you'll see Mary transform from nanny clothes to Jolly Holiday or Royal Doulton dress?

-Rob
I think much more along the lines of Enchanted Tales with Belle. Interactive, and show elements. The latest I had was certainly not a ride. Very much entertainment based.

Haymarket2008

Actually, a sing along a la Frozen at Studios could be rather cool. Build a theater inspired by the Royal - Drury Lane or another famous UK theater. And you could keep it fresh with rotating shows between the original and sequel. With the Pearlies or Cherry Tree Lane Players or the like. Could be a nice way to celebrate Mary. (Just armchair Imagineering, of course.)

That would be lovely. And a resurrection of the original idea to put a British Music Hall into the pavilion back in the mid 80's.

Magenta Panther

If TDO is going to do a half-baked reluctant Poppins M&G edition, I'd rather they did nothing at all, frankly.

But I suppose a British Music Hall, with performances of songs chiefly from the ORIGINAL film, wouldn't be too bad. But it'd still be a real letdown. It burns that today's "Disney" company will shell out big bucks for faded non-Disney-created/adapted franchises but only nickels and dimes for genuine Disney classics. Without an actual ride, I don't see the point of Cherry Tree Lane. Just let it die, TDO. Don't damn Walt's crowning jewel with such faint praise. Just give up on it already. You know you want to.

Last edited:

doctornick

Wow that's pretty lame. Why cant Disney build a small dark ride like Peter Pan?

Heck, there's room enough to build two. They could easily (say) put in a Mr. Toad and a copy of DL's Alice in that area, providing some nice complimentary additions to WS.

(Yeah Mr. Toad isn't the best fit, but just figured I'd bring up some easy clones that would be cheap to add)

HauntedMansionFLA

Heck, there's room enough to build two. They could easily (say) put in a Mr. Toad and a copy of DL's Alice in that area, providing some nice complimentary additions to WS.

(Yeah Mr. Toad isn't the best fit, but just figured I'd bring up some easy clones that would be cheap to add)
Is there enough room to build two? You have World Showplace right behind it with more backstage.

yensidtlaw1969

There isn't as much room back there as people think.
Not to mention that Pocket-sized Jewel-box Dark Rides like Toad and Alice at DL are harder to build with today's codes. As a new construction, everything would have to be widened to be more accessible for evacs.

Which is why I'm dubious any time anyone suggests ripping out DL's Toad in favor of a new ride - by the time you give the grandfathered space over to new design you'd be left with almost no space for actual ride path. You'll never get more out of that space than Toad already does, so you might as well leave it alone save for occasional updates that don't affect its grandfathered status.

All this to say that any new version of these rides built in World Showcase would have to take up more space than the DL equivalent. On top of the fact that there really is less room back there than people think.

Still, I'd weep tears of joy for days if we finally got a Mary Poppins E-Ticket. I know it's not coming, but if ever it did Disney would have my money day one. Meanwhile, I couldn't give a raccoon's a** about Guardians of the Galaxy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom