The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Californian Elitist

Roscoes is great but have you had Gus’s? I haven’t had Roscoes in about 10 years so Im not prepared to say Gus’s is definitively better but I think it is. I need to try Roscoes again soon. I’ve only had the Hollywood location.

It’s been a minute since I’ve had Gus’. I’m down to put my taste buds to the test and try it again, once Miss Corona goes away. Lol.

Darkbeer1

So, my hair has been getting too long.

I started with my mustache trimmer around my ears, and it was a bit better.

Saturday, headed to Harbor Freight with my 20% off coupon, and bought their Ship to Shore Hair Trimmer kit for $7.

This morning, I actually trusted my wife, and let her cut my hair with the #3 trimmer. And she actually did a pretty good job.

I have dealt with tons of ground and potting soil, have 20 tomato plants in pots, onions and other herbs also planted.

Our Boysenberry vines, Raspberry, Blackberries, and Blueberries are all very happy.

And my Plum Tree has hundreds of blooms. The Peach Tree has 100+ pieces of small fruit, the Avocado tree is starting to show buds, and still has a few pieces of fruit from last year.

Well, at least one good thing has happened due to Safer at Home.

Went to Home Depot this afternoon just to pick up some shims for a project, and there was a long line to get in. So trying again tomorrow afternoon.

Rich T

Saturday, headed to Harbor Freight with my 20% off coupon, and bought their Ship to Shore Hair Trimmer kit for $7.

This morning, I actually trusted my wife, and let her cut my hair with the #3 trimmer. And she actually did a pretty good job.

I have dealt with tons of ground and potting soil, have 20 tomato plants in pots, onions and other herbs also planted.

Our Boysenberry vines, Raspberry, Blackberries, and Blueberries are all very happy.

And my Plum Tree has hundreds of blooms. The Peach Tree has 100+ pieces of small fruit, the Avocado tree is starting to show buds, and still has a few pieces of fruit from last year.

Went to Home Depot this afternoon just to pick up some shims for a project, and there was a long line to get in. So trying again tomorrow afternoon.
I think 70’s long hair on guys is going to be making a comeback over the next couple of months. And...dang it...a reprieve for the dreaded man-bun.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member

Good thing my H has been shaving his head for about 2 years now, guess who the assistant barber is, though! 👨‍🦲😄

Loved reading about your home grown fruits and vegetables! I'm also tending on our small garden these days, unfortunately, no avocado tree for us.

Darkbeer1

Good thing my H has been shaving his head for about 2 years now, guess who the assistant barber is, though! 👨‍🦲😄

Loved reading about your home grown fruits and vegetables! I'm also tending on our small garden these days, unfortunately, no avocado tree for us.
I just bartered 3 Avocados for 2 dozen eggs, well, my wife did with someone she works with....

No chickens at home.

We have lots of birds coming to visit, including scrub jays and hummingbirds. Plus a few squirrels, which we love to watch. A couple of very young ones just have started to visit, they are still learning....

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I just bartered 3 Avocados for 2 dozen eggs, well, my wife did with someone she works with....
Not bad at all!

We have lots of birds coming to visit, including scrub jays and hummingbirds. Plus a few squirrels, which we love to watch. A couple of very young ones just have started to visit, they are still learning....
That sounds great! We get birds visits often too, three different types, but I don't know what species they are. I need to get a book about birds!, that is, when bookstores open again around this parts.

Darkbeer1

Practical Pig

I've been working with one arm since last Thanksgiving due to a badly broken left shoulder, delayed surgery, and now rehab. Among all the other issues, and now under quarantine, It's been difficult to one-handedly groom my usually manicured beard, and now my hair as well.

Today I decided I'd had enough, grabbed my clippers, and zipped it all down to stubble. I thought vanity could just wait.

But ... the result was that when my husband first saw it, he told me I looked ten years younger (I started going grey in my teens,) So I guess vanity was keeping up.

Darkbeer1

6 AM Conference Calls every day this week, what a wonderful way to start the morning. At least I don't have to speak much. Those are the later in the day ones....

Anyways, after about an hour, went outside to grab these shots.

Let's start with the Plum tree in the front yard.

20200330_064221-XL.jpg

Squirrel!!!

20200330_065218-XL.jpg

20200330_065516-XL.jpg

Boysenberries...

20200330_065530-XL.jpg

20200330_065552-XL.jpg

20200330_065607-XL.jpg

Tomatoes.

20200330_065812-XL.jpg

20200330_065642-XL.jpg

Avocado tree

20200330_065655-XL.jpg

20200330_065703-XL.jpg

And the Peach Tree

20200330_065725-XL.jpg

20200330_065730-XL.jpg

20200330_065750-XL.jpg

Back to doing laundry, unless the phone rings.

brb1006

In the event people haven't heard, Tokyo DisneySea has permanently ended its run of Fantasmic! The final scheduled performances unfortunately could not be held due to Coronavirus closures.

However, Tokyo Disney Resort has released a video of the show (as well as some other pieces of entertainment likewise scheduled to close) onto its official YouTube channel. TDR does a wonderful job shooting its entertainment, and they regularly produce fabulous DVDs and Blu-rays loaded with beautifully shot performances. It is said to be available on their channel until the end of April.

If you're unfamiliar with TDS' Fantasmic, it's a different spin on the concept than the shows in the states, partially due to location and when it was produced (more than a decade after WDW's version opened in 1998). I don't know if I'd say it's better, but it's compelling, different, and well-shot.

Side tangent, one of the things I've found fascinating as I've begun my own dive into TDR entertainment is that it's very clear that TDR BADLY wanted a Fantasmic of their own long before it arrived; moments from it are referenced in TDL's 10th Anniversary show (the show that also begat the "Magical' theme that would go on to anchor DL's fireworks show of the same name). On a grander scale, Tokyo replaced their MSEP in 1995 with Fantillusion, an ambitious attempt to do Fantasmic! on a parade route with three rounds of show stops during each performance; to people familiar with WDW of yore, it's very much the lovechild of Fantasmic and SpectroMagic. The parade ran until 2001, where about half of the units were shipped to Paris (that was all Paris could afford) and it ran in butchered form for another decade. Decent quality Fantillusion videos aren't hard to find on YouTube if you're curious, original Tokyo version only. I'm sure there are other examples too of TDR incorporating F! elements, but those are the ones that most readily come to mind.

Tokyo DisneySea's Fantasmic:

Here's the original version of Fantillusion for those that never seen it. It's more impressive compared to Paris where it's much shorter in length due to most of the floats getting removed.

brb1006

Entertainment at Tokyo Disney Resort is simply viewed as something that is supposed to be changed out and not stay the same for decades.
Which explains why Tokyo Disneyland's Holidays Parades (Christmas, Halloween, and Easter) are prone to getting newer seasonal parades and shows. They even had a Valentine's Day event between 2007 and 2008 that was centered on Minnie, Clarice, Marie, Daisy, and Miss Bianca complete with a parade and castle show. I forgot the name of the event though.

PiratesMansion

Just discovered that Tokyo Disneyland also once had-and removed (in 2002)-a Main Street (or would it be a World Bazaar?) Cinema. On the upside, Tokyo still maintains a magic shop, a working bank (!), and an extensive Penny Arcade on World Bazaar, all of which is more than I can say for Florida on their Main Street (do they even have ANY Penny Arcade machines around anymore?).

While it would be nice if DL's Cinema stayed around long-term (will it?), I've come to the conclusion that I'm not super bothered with subsequent parks' decision to remove it. Of course, my first visits to those parks were after their Cinemas were gone, so that factors in too, I suppose.

waltography

Something I've been thinking about with RotR is its rerideability since some of its (rightful!) critiques point out how a lot of the beats in the ride rely on the shock and awe of a first ridethrough. The more I watch the POV online, though (and I've had a whole lot more time to watch it now...), the more I enjoy the ride simply because it's a fun experience that mirrors the beats of a Star Wars movie.

(Some caveats to this, of course: it's only been a little over two months since this opened at DL, and I've only ridden it in person twice. Maybe I'll tire of it by the end of the year.)

smooch

I think 70’s long hair on guys is going to be making a comeback over the next couple of months. And...dang it...a reprieve for the dreaded man-bun.

I used to have hair down past my shoulders and cut it last February. As of around 4-5 months ago (I think? My perception of time is so distorted for these past few months) I started growing my hair back out. I am about to get to the really awkward mid length that I always hid in a hat but at least with quarantine I won't need to. It can't grow fast enough for me. However if I get accepted into the DCP then I'm gonna have to cut it for my program so this might be in vain and I'll have to cut it and then grow it and go through this stage yet again.

EDIT:

FC316CB3-CF5F-42C9-86FA-14EC72AE11A0.jpeg
8413B938-55CB-4061-9C96-A2A5C3D4568C.jpeg
557EBECA-850C-4CDC-BB0F-0B903A09B344.jpeg

The first picture is the day before I cut it when my girlfriend straightened my hair to see how long it actually was. In reality, I left it to get all wavy and curly and do what it wanted. When I went to work I would put it up in a ponytail and put product in so it stayed slicked down and didn’t get stray hairs flipping up. I’ve been having an internal struggle because I like how my long hair looks but most people say I look better with short hair, and short hair is easier, but I much prefer how I look with long hair and all that matters is if I’m happy with it, and if it doesn’t inhibit job opportunities, like it I got into the DCP I would need to cut it but if I don’t then my office job will allow me to grow my hair out they don’t discriminate against guys with long hair like some more traditional office jobs might.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom