Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Ford said the simplified ventilator design, which is licensed by GE Healthcare from Florida-based Airon Corp and has been cleared by the Food and Drug Administration, can meet the needs of most COVID-19 patients and relies on air pressure without the need for electricity."

DCBaker

Premium Member
This is for South Carolina.

McMaster called the order, which took effect immediately, necessary for preventing the spread of COVID-19, though “unfortunate for those who chose to responsibly follow the instructions of our public health officials.”

"The ban comes after state law enforcement officers observed irresponsible groups of people congregating on South Carolina’s beaches and waterways last weekend, his office said."

Tom P.

Serious question... which news sources are considered trustworthy in the US?
None of them and all of them.

None of them because I believe the idea of an unbiased news source that just presents you with the facts is a myth. There never have been news outlets like that and never will be. Anyone who thinks a particular news source is unbiased just isn't seeing their own bias.

All of them because all of the major news outlets in the United States do a decent job of providing the facts of a situation once you filter out the biases and commentary. I can go to CNN or to Fox News, for example, and ultimately walk away with the same facts about the current COVID-19 pandemic. It's just that each one will present those facts in a very different way that comes from a very different point of view. But the facts are there.

rowrbazzle

I'm sure but can you tell me how many? Is it going to be 100, 1000 or 10,000?? that's the nut. again like I said, there is only so long you can be chicken little. every week that you (as in the media) tell us that millions are going to die and then we get 25 deaths (and that is in no way diminishing those deaths) the harder you are going to get for folks to believe you.

My physical therapist office open back up today. Yes they have safe guards in place, the therapist wore ppe, they took my temperature upon entering and the only have 3 patients in at a time but they opened back up.

don't get me wrong, I sincerely rather they be off by 1000's in less deaths.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/ This doesn't cover cities, if you look at the state levels, Pennsylvania is not looking as bad as many others. They're projected to have sufficient beds and ICUs. It's like that in about a quarter of the states.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
https://covid19.healthdata.org/ This doesn't cover cities, if you look at the state levels, Pennsylvania is not looking as bad as many others. They're projected to have sufficient beds and ICUs. It's like that in about a quarter of the states.

I wonder how it looked in earlier models. A lot of that is because of the stay at home orders and shutdowns we’ve seen, I imagine. Which is what we were trying to solve for.

rowrbazzle

I wonder how it looked in earlier models. A lot of that is because of the stay at home orders and shutdowns we’ve seen, I imagine. Which is what we were trying to solve for.

Oh, I'm sure. I noted earlier that numbers in some of the states are going down. I'm not sure how often they update the data, but from one iteration to the next Texas went from needing (I think) 20,000+ beds to now about 11,000. The number of ICU beds needed dropped from just over the threshold to 600 below. And I think the number of projected deaths dropped by about one-third. That was encouraging to me.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Oh, I'm sure. I noted earlier that numbers in some of the states are going down. I'm not sure how often they update the data, but from one iteration to the next Texas went from needing (I think) 20,000+ beds to now about 11,000. The number of ICU beds needed dropped from just over the threshold to 600 below. And I think the number of projected deaths dropped by about one-third. That was encouraging to me.

That is massive. I hope people are reporting that when this is all said and done, of how social distancing and the stay at home orders worked and the impact of them.

Nemo14

I agree. I had home delivery of a daily local newspaper for all of my life - first when living at home, and then once I got my own home. I switched over to e-edition about 2 years ago, as the price for home delivery kept going up. I can get my local paper, NYT, and WSJ all for about the same price.

My children have never had print media since leaving home - they've had online subscriptions (or get around paywalls) When I first moved to my home (almost 40 years ago) neighbors up and down the street would get the daily paper. Now only the 80+ year old neighbor gets one.
Do you remember when there were 2 papers per day? (The Providence Journal and the Evening Bulletin)?

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
. Anyway, just wanted to say that I watch a little bit of both major US cable news channels.

Very interested and concerned about Italy, so I'm also keeping an eye on RAI. Of all the international cable news available down here, BBC is my trusted source. I'm also following local news on a regular basis, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Florida wasn't looking that bad last week with projections of having enough ICU beds.

Not any more. Projection for FL is a shortage now of ICU beds.

It's hard to pin down a projection at the beginning since there's few data points and small perturbations can throw off the extrapolation. PA is close to maxing out ICU beds (according to the projection). A little extra unforeseen cases can be... bad. Hopefully, it goes the other way.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Much of the criticism towards the church's contribution to the outbreak is that they refused to provide officials with information about the people that attended the church which prevented contact tracing efforts.

Would you like another church example with real cases?
"A patient in Arlington County was "associated with Christ Church in Georgetown," where Washington, D.C.'s, earliest cases were found, county officials said."
"A Loudoun County resident in their 40s tested positive after "attending Christ Church Georgetown," the county announced."
"A rector in his 50s at Christ Church Georgetown was the first person to test positive. He had "no history of international travel and no close contacts with a confirmed case," Bowser said. A 39-year-old organist at the same church later tested positive."

Or this one

or this one

could keep going on and on...

21stamps

Good decision.

BF5B88DE-9B87-4761-9015-81E8DA7EEC97.jpeg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

1585610460444.png

This is promising.

A thermometer company with access to online connectedness of their devices can 'see' where the fevers are. They are currently dropping in frequency almost everywhere.

The big take away is that pleas for hygiene and restrictions on crowds weren't as effective as a lockdown. Lockdowns have immediate results.

Keep in mind CV is still spreading and the number of critical cases and deaths are piling up. Just not as fast once lockdowns are in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom