Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomas998

The government is providing relief. $1,200 per person in a one time check plus if unemployed on average $1,000 a week from unemployment covers almost anyone’s basic needs. People will riot if they can’t buy food or are removed from their homes. That’s not happening. All of the stuff talked about is averages and typical situations. I understand that not everyone is made whole by the government assistance but it takes the masses to rise up not the exceptions. I know it’s hard for small business owners but again, not the typical demographic to take to the streets and riot. I agree people will be unhappy. I agree they will complain about it to anyone that listens. I don’t see those same people taking to the street to riot. Just my opinion, O could be wrong.
Correct me if I'm wrong. But it was my understanding that young people over 18 but under 24 wouldn't be able to get the check nor would their parents that are claiming them as dependents even get the 500 child payment. I know that probably doesn't impact many on this site, but when I heard that I was a bit confused on why they would have thrown in an exclusion on an age group which could easily be one of the hardest hit when it comes to job loss and lack of savings.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That's a good point. I just wonder if it's going to happen anyway. If the virus is expected to "come back" regardless, how long should everything stay closed? Even if it's on the downslope, we're probably still dealing with only a small percentage of the population that is immune. If shutting everything down is our only recourse, then isn't a double-dip inevitable?

I'm still in my house and generally in favor of these measures, but it doesn't seem like a long-term solution. It seems like we'll need something else before too long. I dunno; it's crazy.
It Could be inevitable. I think most people want to believe what we are doing is helping to flatten the curve, but we won’t know if anything worked or not until after the dust settles. The info won’t help us do anything then except place blame ;)

thomas998

That's a good point. I just wonder if it's going to happen anyway. If the virus is expected to "come back" regardless, how long should everything stay closed? Even if it's on the downslope, we're probably still dealing with only a small percentage of the population that is immune. If shutting everything down is our only recourse, then isn't a double-dip inevitable?

I'm still in my house and generally in favor of these measures, but it doesn't seem like a long-term solution. It seems like we'll need something else before too long. I dunno; it's crazy.

Well one possibility is that if they ever develop a quick antibody test it could be used to see who has already had the virus and is currently immune... if that were given to people and people that were shown to be immune could be issued special cards to do anything. Slowing opening things up like that could be a means of avoiding a second peak which would occur if you just opened things up and went business as usual.

21stamps

The government is providing relief. $1,200 per person in a one time check plus if unemployed on average $1,000 a week from unemployment covers almost anyone’s basic needs. People will riot if they can’t buy food or are removed from their homes. That’s not happening. All of the stuff talked about is averages and typical situations. I understand that not everyone is made whole by the government assistance but it takes the masses to rise up not the exceptions. I know it’s hard for small business owners but again, not the typical demographic to take to the streets and riot. I agree people will be unhappy. I agree they will complain about it to anyone that listens. I don’t see those same people taking to the street to riot. Just my opinion, O could be wrong.

All we really have is opinions at this point. None of us can know what will or will not happen, myself included.

Every day unemployment is talked about in my state’s daily update.. the systems are overwhelmed. There’s no way that money is going to get to those people in a quick turnaround. Trump even said it himself, the federal government could have sped it up, but the vote was to let the states handle it. Fine, but let’s be realistic about what that means for the people who are waiting for those checks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Correct me if I'm wrong. But it was my understanding that young people over 18 but under 24 wouldn't be able to get the check nor would their parents that are claiming them as dependents even get the 500 child payment. I know that probably doesn't impact many on this site, but when I heard that I was a bit confused on why they would have thrown in an exclusion on an age group which could easily be one of the hardest hit when it comes to job loss and lack of savings.
As far as I know the check goes to anyone unless they are phased out or their parents claim them as a dependent. There was a proposal to claw back checks to those who made less money but that didn’t pass.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
All we really have is opinions at this point. None of us can know what will or will not happen, myself included.

Every day unemployment is talked about in my state’s daily update.. the systems are overwhelmed. There’s no way that money is going to get to those people in a quick turnaround. Trump even said it himself, the federal government could have sped it up, but the vote was to let the states handle it. Fine, but let’s be realistic about what that means for the people who are waiting for those checks.
The $1200 checks will take a while. Unemployment should be relatively seamless. Once the states receive the guidance from the federal government it should be up and running a week or 2 later.

VaderTron

Well one possibility is that if they ever develop a quick antibody test it could be used to see who has already had the virus and is currently immune... if that were given to people and people that were shown to be immune could be issued special cards to do anything. Slowing opening things up like that could be a means of avoiding a second peak which would occur if you just opened things up and went business as usual.
While that would be nice, the unfortunate part of this whole thing is we have no idea the half-life of immunity to this virus. There is also no way to know if/when it will mutate like flu and cold viruses do. While speculative at best, a couple of reports of reinfection are floating around. If there's any truth in that the fact that people have had it may not matter, especially if they have underlying health conditions and/or a suppressed immune system.

The more I think about all of the unknowns the more depressing this gets...I just hope it doesn't mutate, immunity gained from infection is mostly permanent, and they find a treatment soon. If so, I'm all for your idea.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Putting on a story designed to create fear of possible food shortages by its nature is sensational and can lead to food shortages because of others hording food. Even if the story were true, somethings should never be done. It is like yelling fire in a theater.

You mean like telling people there's a viral epidemic coming?

It's the reality of the situation. Deal with it. If you don't, it will happen anyway, but in the worst way possible because you didn't deal with it.

Yelling fire in a crowded theater is about a lie. This isn't a lie. It's reality. Deal with it.

There are things out there which are real and scary. Use your fear to avoid it. Write your representative to encourage legislation which protects the people that pick your tomatoes. Deal with it and it won't be a problem.

thomas998

So you expect 75 million people to die?

And do you intend to stay inside until there is a vaccine?
If the world did nothing then even more than 75 million people around the world would die. The Spanish flu killed 50 million and that was when the worlds population was a fraction of what it is today. So there is precedent for a pandemic killing millions, that is simply a fact you continually ignore.

As for me staying inside... well at the moment I am because I've been suffering from this thing since about March 15... once I'm symptom free for a week I won't worry about it at all... but assuming my wife and kids stay free from it during this time they will not be going out it isn't worth the risk.

thomas998

While that would be nice, the unfortunate part of this whole thing is we have no idea the half-life of immunity to this virus. There is also no way to know if/when it will mutate like flu and cold viruses do. While speculative at best, a couple of reports of reinfection are floating around. If there's any truth in that the fact that people have had it may not matter, especially if they have underlying health conditions and/or a suppressed immune system.

The more I think about all of the unknowns the more depressing this gets...I just hope it doesn't mutate, immunity gained from infection is mostly permanent, and they find a treatment soon. If so, I'm all for your idea.
Yes the unknown length of the immunity is troubling. They would probably need to retest anyone on a monthly basis so that they would get an idea of when the antibodies had faded and left the person open for a reinfection.

lazyboy97o

And the ban on large gatherings is what will keep those resources from being overwhelmed... once they are overwhelmed we both know your odds of dying from it jump up a lot.
The bans on large gatherings are a temporary measure, not the only measure. You cannot pin everything on the hope that a vaccine is developed quickly and the disease is eradicated (again, only done once and over decades, not months).

21stamps

Just because there are delays doesn’t mean they couldn’t process them at all. It just takes a lot longer than normal.

Correct. Which is why they will see delays well beyond your “will receive in a week or two” timeframe. States are seeing more people apply than they’ve ever had to deal with, it’s not a quick turnaround.

JoeCamel

If the system can't process all in the USA due to issues, then the record 3.28 million Americans that applied for unemployment last week is not exactly accurate.
When employers lay off people they are required to report the layoffs to the state. The states report to the fed, the people do not have to have filed for unemployment compensation.

Disney Analyst

And yet, you ignore the advances in medicine that have been made in the past hundred years. That's why you can't equate the two to being the same thing. H1N1 was a pandemic and it did not kill in the millions.

Here are the mortality rates of three pandemics:

• 2009 H1N1 pandemic — 0.001 to 0.007% of the world’s population

• 1968 H3N2 pandemic — 0.03% of the world’s population

• 1918 H1N1 pandemic — 1 to 3% of the world’s population

Reason would suggest that medicine has jumped leaps and bounds since the Spanish Flu.

Hope you feel better. And that your family doesn't catch it.

I could be wrong, but... medicine hasn't jumped anywhere near enough to currently battle this virus properly. Mostly just putting out fires here.

And this virus is already many times more deadly then H1N1 in its first 3 months. The world hasn't seen a virus like this since the Spanish Flu.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
With regards to unemployment insurance, I've found that a pickpocket/purse snatcher such as myself isn't allowed any. Further, I can think of no other profession impacted by lack of crowds as much. This morning when I out for my jog I saw one other dude out running. Hard to surreptitiously run past him, change direction, then make a grab. No crowd to weave through and most people don't run with a wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom