What's Still On and What's Now Off

UNCgolf

I understand what you’re saying and agree that they won’t be the first to reopen. But they have two options that make sense: reopen soon (with two months), or mothball for a long time.

I think the hope is for a treatment (or multiple treatments) that alleviate the virus so that fewer people end up on ventilators in the ICU. If they can find existing drugs that work, that will be a much shorter time frame than a vaccine (and they've got a bunch of clinical trials happening for several different drugs). Especially if it's something other than remdesivir, which, while obviously better than nothing, wouldn't be as big of a help as something like hydroxychloroquine or favipiravir since it has to be taken intravenously at a hospital instead of a simple pill you can take at home.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If the parks are shutdown until September...then the majority of the world economy is likely crippled too.

Losing out on the northern hemisphere summer is a huge blow...and would probably mean the end of the year is shot as well.

Why are people slugging this out? Disney would be in huge trouble -
Bankruptcy or no - and so would everything and everyone else.

Disney already told us when their next bench march start up date is: June 1st. That’s why they are offering promotions for that date.

I knew they weren’t gonna take a risk with a mass virus either on the first or second wave...this lines up.

phillip9698

So many people act as this is the end of the world. It’s not. There is a major plague every 100 years. I can’t see the world continuing this way for more than another month and a half. At some point we have to get back to work. We just have to.

There is a monumental difference between getting back to work to ensure society continues and Disney World opening. Heck, i never stopped working, guess working in the food supply chain makes you essential. Movie theaters, amusement parks, sporting events, those are not essential businesses that need to exist in order for the world to continue. They wont open until the risk in doing so is negligible.

I dont see how its possible to visit Disney World in the summer and not touch your face. I wouldnt risk it for a year after they open.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
There's a 0% chance they are reopen at the beginning of May if infection numbers are still increasing or just at a very high level (and that's what most of the experts are projecting). Even if they wanted to (and they wouldn't, because as Martin said, even one person getting infected at WDW after it reopens is a big PR hit which could drive people away, and multiple infections gets close to a nightmare scenario), I don't think they'd be allowed to.

I don’t think this virus will ever 100% disappear until we have a vaccine so that risk is always going to be there I’m afraid. Not just WDW but everywhere. People get sick at WDW all the time and I know this is different but things won’t be closed until there is 0 risk

Kman101

So many people act as this is the end of the world. It’s not. There is a major plague every 100 years. I can’t see the world continuing this way for more than another month and a half. At some point we have to get back to work. We just have to.

And if we can't, we're in a lot more trouble than we realize. However, I do have faith we see normalcy return. I really do. We will get through this as horrific as it is. It will pass. And we will see strains pop up again. It's just a fact. We aren't going to be hiding until a vaccine is found. I wouldn't be shocked if the CDC suggested we all wear masks and gloves. Personally, the guests I see doing this in Tokyo Disney, Hong Kong, etc. are ahead of us, IMO. I don't want to see anyone think they're strange for wearing a mask or gloves in public, lol. It could end up being a very real reality for a while for us. But we will have normalcy again. I'm not saying rush open the country ... but we aren't staying in our homes forever. We just aren't.

Kman101

I don’t think this virus will ever 100% disappear until we have a vaccine so that risk is always going to be there I’m afraid. Not just WDW but everywhere. People get sick at WDW all the time and I know this is different but things won’t be closed until there is 0 risk

Exactly, this! People are rightfully very afraid right now, and I get that. We'd all be lying if we didn't have some fear of this. I mean, we're honestly lucky we don't have to go through this more often. We are packed into these places and we do NOT sanitize and clean like we should. This outbreak needs to prepare us for the future so we're ready and not left scrambling. We may never go through this again, but odds are, we will see strains and illness pop up. That's just how it goes. It's horrible, but some folks are honestly afraid to even go outside their house to get some fresh air. I get it, and I really feel for them, I do.

Kman101

They're in an unenviable situation where pretty much every division of their business is hit. The parks are closed. The cruise line can't sail. I'm an avid ESPN watcher and have seen them flounder firsthand. They closed their stores. Their films can't hit the theatres. Television is chugging along, but it's going to be a lean fall with shows shuttering production now. Disney+ offered deals and grabbed a large base quickly and I don't know if there's going to be a large enough jump to make up for the loss at the box office. At past hard times, they generally have other divisions to prop them up. The parks made bank when the films were faltering. Right now, just about everything is down.

Do... do we look at their decision to have construction workers not work through the crisis to be a bad thing? Construction is "essential" employment, but using that guideline to get things done for your theme park sounds like taking advantage of a loophole.

I want the parks to be back. I want the vloggers I watch to be back in them rather than scared at home or giving up. I want work to go double time without guests there. I want everything to get done and more.

But I also want the company to be more than any other corporation.

I get what you're saying and don't disagree. I thought at first it was construction halted everywhere, but that just isn't the case. However, folks want to work and construction work CAN be socially distant. Is it the most responsible of them to do? Probably not, but if they can actually do things, why not? It's not like any of these places are doubling down but they are continuing to work. Walt Disney World could have folks socially distant in a bucket painting. Now if it's the contractors and their companies ... I get it. It's a tough spot.

Completing theme park work should not be essential, but construction is. So I see your point. And maybe WDW just said "we don't want anyone in these parks so we don't have to hear about it" ... but no one seems outraged Universal is continuing to work on, at least, the Velocicoaster or whatever it's gonna be called.

Landscaping can be socially distant. But I do understand WDW wanting to probably be on complete lockdown, for a variety of reasons.

Kman101

Yeah. I hope people enjoy the new attractions that have been built and perhaps the few that are far enough alone that they'll be completed... because we all know that there's going to be a major pause on anything else new for while. I'm at least glad that this happened after a bunch of new/long overdue additions for WDW.

I'm hoping that GotG and Tron are far enough along that they happen and do so on the same basic schedules. I do fear for the former being value engineering for anything they feel they can cut.

I think a night parade for MK is gone now (if it ever were a possibility). The only hope would be getting something from DLR (hey, who wants to see MSEP again!) but even shipping something like that might be considered too costly.

Entertainment being added to Galaxy's Edge? Changing of any stale shows around the property? Poppins attraction? No one should be getting any hopes up about anything. Wouldn't count on the Avengers ride or even MMRR for Disneyland for a while either.

Couldn't they just drive most of the floats here? Would they even make it? LOL.

I agree with you on all of this. Sadly, LOL, but we all know it's going to happen this way. I'd love nothing more than for them to prove me wrong, double down, etc. But they panic.

I'm guessing some things are just too far along to stop completely. They kinda HAVE to finish TRON, Guardians, PLAY!, Woody's Budget Cut Barbecue Joint probably continues, it's a restaurant, at some point, right? but 🤷‍♂️ who really knows?

Thankfully Space 220 and Rat are "practically done" so I'm not worried about them. Stitch's replacement was allegedly, supposedly greenlit. It's weird. So we will have to see.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Well, if USO has to forestall their third gate and put their plans into the existing two... I have an idea for them:

1. In Studios, give up:​
a. New York theming​
b. San Fran theming​
c. MiB​
d. F&F​
2. Turn that whole side of Studios into London (UK)​
a. F&F becomes the new Dracula/Frankenstein ride​
b. Mummy stays as is​
c. the rest of the environs has Phantom of the Opera, Invisible Man, Creature, and the rest of the UCM repertoire as various attractions (shops, shows, food service)​
d. upshot: HHN and the UCM are in the same park!​
e. 2nd upshot: the embarrassment of F&F is gone!​
3. Fantastic Beasts (or any other Potter extension) replaces MiB​
a. You get a seamless London theme going from the UCM gift show all the way to where MiB used to be.​

Bruh... You really tellin them to shut down the all-time best shoot 'em up dark ride ever? Heck no. MiB is literally the best ride in the whole dang park at this moment.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That’s the least of their worries.
The thing about Disney is that PR has and will always be a heavy weight in all their business decisions. Which is why I expect no gambles when it comes time to reopen things.
The media did not make “everyone” close everything. An accelerating death toll did.
Eventually...Those that continue to promote this political nonsense about the media boogeyman will either be silent or admit they’ve been had.

...I hope.
The right thing to have done was to isolate those at risk. How are we going to pay for this? Maybe we look at medium family incomes of 60k, and increase taxes 10% on every cent of income over 120k, another 10% on everything over 250k so its 20%, and another 10% or 30% on income over a million. That will not even come close to paying the cost of this. We made a mistake and will see it sooner than anyone here realizes. The long term risks to themeparks like Disney and Universal is not Covid19 or any other disease, it's the taxes needed to pay for trying to make people whole because you can't. Remember, those tax increases are on top of what they already pay and it's not enough to pay the total cost.

You want to will out new tax policy?

I am thinking two things to be true:
1. The economy is shot for awhile. The die is cast. Let’s hope we can limited it to a severe recession at this point.
2. There’s a ton of money floating around the world. Keep people afloat as much as possible...figure out the pain later.

EricsBiscuit

There is a monumental difference between getting back to work to ensure society continues and Disney World opening. Heck, i never stopped working, guess working in the food supply chain makes you essential. Movie theaters, amusement parks, sporting events, those are not essential businesses that need to exist in order for the world to continue. They wont open until the risk in doing so is negligible.

I dont see how its possible to visit Disney World in the summer and not touch your face. I wouldnt risk it for a year after they open.
Except entertainment is a huge industry and if it is closed for too long than it will have a ripple effect into the greater economy. Plague is a risk. Anyone who goes anywhere in public runs the risk of getting sick. So, there is a point where the downside of closing outweighs the containment benefit. And it’s closer than most think.

TrainsOfDisney

Movie theaters, amusement parks, sporting events, those are not essential businesses that need to exist in order for the world to continue. They wont open until the risk in doing so is negligible.

Umm the people who need those businesses to continue in order to pay for rent and food would call them essential!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Except entertainment is a huge industry and if it is closed for too long than it will have a ripple effect into the greater economy. Plague is a risk. Anyone who goes anywhere in public runs the risk of getting sick. So, there is a point where the downside of closing outweighs the containment benefit. And it’s closer than most think.
We are in an unprecedented situation

Translation: can’t let money outweigh intelligent thinking.

I understand no one - most especially the US - is trained to grasp this.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It would give them the chance to do away with the fast pass to keep the lines moving

This is better suited for a FP+ thread, but when you average in the very little wait of those with FP+ with the long wait of those in Standby, it's the same rate of 'moving' as if there were no FP+.

All the people who once had FP+ and no longer do, will make those Standby lines longer. The Standby lines may move faster, but, by being longer, doesn't suddenly mean more people are getting on the rides faster. The rides' throughput doesn't change. Time spent in a faster moving line is increased because the line is now longer.

UNCgolf

Bruh... You really tellin them to shut down the all-time best shoot 'em up dark ride ever? Heck no. MiB is literally the best ride in the whole dang park at this moment.

Revenge of the Mummy if you're talking about USF specifically. If you're talking resort wide, it's Jurassic Park!

UNCgolf

This is better suited for a FP+ thread, but when you average in the very little wait of those with FP+ with the long wait of those in Standby, it's the same rate of 'moving' as if there were no FP+.

All the people who once had FP+ and no longer do, will make those Standby lines longer. The Standby lines may move faster, but, by being longer, doesn't suddenly mean more people are getting on the rides faster. The rides' throughput doesn't change. Time spent in a faster moving line is increased because the line is now longer.

I think he was arguing that faster moving standby lines (with everyone in the same line) would be better for limiting exposure, but I don't really follow that line of thought.

I suppose if the line is moving faster it'd be easier to keep people spread apart (because perhaps they wouldn't naturally clump together while standing still for minutes at a time), but with the lines being longer overall, there may not be queue space for that.

Last edited:

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Exactly, this! People are rightfully very afraid right now, and I get that. We'd all be lying if we didn't have some fear of this. I mean, we're honestly lucky we don't have to go through this more often. We are packed into these places and we do NOT sanitize and clean like we should. This outbreak needs to prepare us for the future so we're ready and not left scrambling. We may never go through this again, but odds are, we will see strains and illness pop up. That's just how it goes. It's horrible, but some folks are honestly afraid to even go outside their house to get some fresh air. I get it, and I really feel for them, I do.

exactly and I gotta say the tv news networks are loving the ratings right now with everyone stuck at home watching tv and listening to scary data that doesn’t and never will have all the numbers because of who has and hasn’t been tested and those who may have had it already and recovered

DarkMetroid567

Umm the people who need those businesses to continue in order to pay for rent and food would call them essential!

The American response to the vocabulary choice of "essential" has been hilarious. Americans are lucky: in Europe, restaurants (even for take-out), hardware stores, liquor stores, etc. are all CLOSED.

Essential doesn't mean "essential to the lasting ramifications of the economy." Essential means you literally need it to live.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom