Seaworld survived Blackfish but can it survive Covid19?

seascape

Original Poster
Cedar Fair is in better shape than Merlin as it stands, in fact last I heard, Cedar Fair was looking to acquire either Six Flags or SeaWorld parks. The funny part about that is Six Flags actually made an offer recently for Cedar Fair.

But the bottom line Disney or Universal most likely wouldn't be able to get it past the regulators to buy any of their competitors, as it would create a monopoly.
Under normal times I agree Universal or Disney buying Six Flags or Cedar Fair would not be allowed. Seaworld would be because it doesn't have that many parks. However, because of the economy today the Federal Government and States would approve anything that would save jobs.

seascape

Original Poster
And now Seaworld is furloughing 90% of its workforce....
Sad day for what was a great company. Will they come back? I hope Disney or someone else step up and save them. I dont see how Seaworld can survive months of being closed.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Sad day for what was a great company. Will they come back? I hope Disney or someone else step up and save them. I dont see how Seaworld can survive months of being closed.
Disney will not invest in Sea World. Maybe someone will, but not Disney.

joanna71985

No Name

Cedar Fair is in better shape than Merlin as it stands, in fact last I heard, Cedar Fair was looking to acquire either Six Flags or SeaWorld parks. The funny part about that is Six Flags actually made an offer recently for Cedar Fair.

But the bottom line Disney or Universal most likely wouldn't be able to get it past the regulators to buy any of their competitors, as it would create a monopoly.

I would much rather Cedar Fair buy SeaWorld than Six Flags. Not only because Six Flags would throw an Aquaman ride in there, but also because Cedar Fair has generally done better, in my opinion.

seascape

Original Poster
Cedar Fair has the theme park rights until at least 2025 and I would imagine that with how well they have been managing the use of them, that will easily be renewed far beyond that. This dates back to Knott's Berry Farm having the rights since 1983, so not likely to change, nor should it.
With California Governor Newsom saying no large public gatherings until after there is a vaccine, will any themepark in California be open before Spring 2021? If not, how can Seaworld, Cedar Fair and Six Flags survive? Plus with Cedar Fair already agreeing to extend all 2020 passes to the end of 2021 for free where will they get the money to pay 2021 expenses? Six Flags has financial problems, Seaworld has lots of expenses caring for the sealife and Cedar fair still has to pay for the Peanuts rights and Six Flags has to pay for their DC rights. If this issue continues much longer it is very likely that not only will Seaworld and Six Flags wind up in Bankruptcy but that Cedar Fair will too. It looks like Legoland knew what they were doing when they pushed back their opening of their new NY park a full year.

matt78

With California Governor Newsom saying no large public gatherings until after there is a vaccine, will any themepark in California be open before Spring 2021? If not, how can Seaworld, Cedar Fair and Six Flags survive? Plus with Cedar Fair already agreeing to extend all 2020 passes to the end of 2021 for free where will they get the money to pay 2021 expenses? Six Flags has financial problems, Seaworld has lots of expenses caring for the sealife and Cedar fair still has to pay for the Peanuts rights and Six Flags has to pay for their DC rights. If this issue continues much longer it is very likely that not only will Seaworld and Six Flags wind up in Bankruptcy but that Cedar Fair will too. It looks like Legoland knew what they were doing when they pushed back their opening of their new NY park a full year.

Don't seasonal park make most of their money from parking, food and merchandise. I know that a season pass to Hersheypark is roughly equal to 3 single day passes. That would suggest that they get most of their money from the other 3 things I listed.

I wonder if any of them will be able to get money from the government since they were impacted so hard by this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom