Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polynesia

Don't forget all the people who flew in from NY to FL when they saw the news showing Florida open for Spring Break, Trump saying the heat kills the virus, and the airlines still operating with $29 flights from NY to FL. Louisiana had Mardi Gras. FL had Spring Break. FL is next.
People from my, nj and ct have to be quarantined now if they come in to Florida which shouldn’t be too hard since everything is shut down. There are also checkpoints set up to monitor people coming from Louisiana. I think the point some are missing is yes, people came down here for spring break but they flew back home again. If it was spread it’s more between the other beach goers than the average Floridian.

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

People from my, nj and ct have to be quarantined now if they come in to Florida which shouldn’t be too hard since everything is shut down. There are also checkpoints set up to monitor people coming from Louisiana. I think the point some are missing is yes, people came down here for spring break but they flew back home again. If it was spread it’s more between the other beach goers than the average Floridian.

If people are in Florida, they had to eat, drink, sleep, etc, in a variety of different locations, which causes interaction with other, local people.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
The problem with doing that is that it is like crying wolf when there is no wolf. People lose faith in anything they are told when they are told it is the end of the world and then it isn't. A lot like Al Gores Inconvenient Truth, it was filled with all sorts of this place will be underwater this will happen that will happen... and when the times that those things were supposed to happen passed and nothing happened it provided a reason for people to say, "see no global warming because nothing they said was going to happen happened"... We already have some of that with this virus. How many times have we been told that the hospitals in the US were going to collapse in 10 days? I've seen some reddit thread where they go back to those articles that were doom and gloom in 10 days and then poke fun at the failure of it to come true. \

You want to know why some people are ignoring the lockdown/shutdown orders, well this is part of it. The powers that be have over hyped some things and when the sky didn't fall the people started discounting anything they were told.

I don't agree with you and furthermore, I have a question. Is it possible for you to discuss anything without resorting to politics and the portions of the media you disapprove of? I think we all get it. Now, let's get back to the situation at hand.

eliza61nyc

Disney through their actions has shown they aren't going to be a leader in terms of making operating decisions based on this health emergency. If you want to know when Disney will open up, look to see what USO is going to do. Disney will follow it.

This is new territory though. Listen I work for a major worldwide chemical company. we actually started having issues back in China because so much of our product is made in China. anyhoo. our research center has been shut down for hte last 2 weeks. everyone for now is being paid until Apri 1st. well that's next Wednesday.
We had a town hall meeting via skype today with the ceo and various division leaders. basically they are losing money hand over foot and have no idea what the next move will be. they did say NO action is off the table.
discussed layoffs, furloughs, cut work hours, delayed raises etc etc. but they told us nothing concrete. They did say we will be paid until next Friday when they have the next town hall meeting. After that, who knows??

now another problems is the state of Delaware is still in lock down, which means no school, no childcare.

It's very hard to make operating decisions based on this health emergency when every day it changes.

Polynesia

I think you guys are in hard denial about Florida not getting hit, it’s going to be one of the worst places.
I think you’re very wrong. Does anyone honestly believe that the virus hasn’t been in Florida already for quite awhile? So many people here have been very sick since January. Tests are negative for the regular flu. I had many of the corona virus symptoms the end of January but didn’t have the flu according to the test. I eventually ended up in the hospital. How can tens of thousands of cast members all be immune to this? Disney was open half of March. You’d think many would be sick. Yet you didn’t hear of mass illnesses. And the press here hates Disney and would love to report thousands of cast members becoming ill. I believe the virus ran through Disney earlier on.

thomas998

I don't agree with you and furthermore, I have a question. Is it possible for you to discuss anything without resorting to politics and the portions of the media you disapprove of? I think we all get it. Now, let's get back to the situation at hand.
Clearly you are going to see politics where you want to, because my post had nothing to do with politics nor even taking one side over another. I suppose that someone like you assumes there is political agenda whenever you don't agree with what someone says, not a very enlightened approach to life but I suppose it works for you.

seascape

It took Disney too long to announce they were paying their cast members for a couple more weeks. Disney should have taken the lead on caring about our wonderful cast members. Don't left Universal take the lead on anything especially treating their employees better than Disney.

thomas998

Based on my medical experience, trips in July should be ok. Granted this is not like anything we’ve ever seen before and I could very well be wrong. But I don’t think so.
why would you think July would be okay? Are you assuming the weather will someone kill the virus?

bpiper

TARP was separate from the auto bailouts.
The government lost money on the auto bailout. For instance, the government got GM stock, which they sold at a loss. They came up about 10 billion short there.

Conversely, in the TARP bailout we got back more than we gave out. Interestingly, think GMAC (now Ally, mentioned above) was one of the few - maybe only - that failed to pay back what they got.
Digging a little deeper, we are both correct.

The auto industry participated in both TARP (loans) $34.7B and Automotive Industry Financing Program (AIFP) (purchase of stock) $80.7B. TARP overall showed a profit of $15.3B and the auto industry loans component were totally paid back, while the AIFP showed a loss of $10.2B. If the government had held the stock they got as part of AIFP for a little longer before they sold, AIFP would have been profitable to.

I would say it was a good investment in the end.

RobWDW1971

Yep...assuming the numbers are from a reputable source and known to be raw data. Otherwise the old adage holds true: there are liars, damn liars, and statisticians.
We only have the data the WHO and CDC are generating - it may not be perfect, but it is all anybody else has.

orlandogal22

I got a news alert from local Central Florida News saying WDW will be closed "until further notice".

I got the same from WESH. But I can't attach a link bc get stuck in "moderator approval land" all the time.

So - here's a cut / paste -

ORLANDO, Fla. —
Walt Disney World and Disneyland will remain closed until further notice, the company announced Friday afternoon.

Disney said in a statement Friday that hourly employees will continue to be paid through April 18.

The parks were closed earlier this month through the end of the month due to the coronavirus outbreak.

"As a result of this unprecedented pandemic and in line with direction provided by health experts and government officials, Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort will remain closed until further notice," a spokesperson for the Walt Disney Company said.

The two Central Florida counties in which Disney World sits, Orange and Osceola, are under stay-at-home orders until April 9.

Disney said after announcing its initial closure due to the virus, that all annual pass holders would have their passes extended by the number of days that the park is closed.

EOD K9

Based on my medical experience, trips in July should be ok. Granted this is not like anything we’ve ever seen before and I could very well be wrong. But I don’t think so.
I have a cruise bookended by a stay on property in July. I don't know if I would feel comfortable even going.

Josh Hendy

Constantly beating the drum of "everything is doomed". I want to check out Bios latest pictures? Oh there they are, repeating the same thing over and over. It's annoying.
Over on the Universal sub-forum, it seems that their new construction and renovations are going ahead and are not shut down. Notably, Jurassic Park coaster track assembly and site prep for new Epic Universe park.

rk03221

If it were going to reach NYC levels, wouldn't it have happened already?

But yes, the numbers will be high. Florida is the 3rd most populated state, after all.

No it will happen over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom