Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rimmit

And this is in the 21st century. How the human race has failed itself.

Great moments are born from great opportunity. This is one of those opportunities. For the first time in a generation we the chance as a society to overcome something that is larger than each and everyone of us. We just have to go out there and grab It.

500 years from now how do you want our generation to be remembered? As the ones who stopped a worldwide pandemic, or the ones that were to selfish to save themselves.

“You only fail when you stop trying.”

Last edited:

zengoth

I've been trying to keep a balance between staying up to date with everything Coronavirus, and taking mental breaks from the subject. I'm keeping myself busy and somewhat structured. That being said, I just started asking myself how long will it take me, to feel safe again while visiting WDW, regardless of when the parks will reopen. Is anyone else having similar thoughts, or is it the isolation that's beginning to take it's toll on me?
Besides seeing a much cleaner park, I believe behavior of fellow guests will be in scrutiny - by Disney and by other guests. There's behavior that won't be tolerated and actively discouraged. Any place that amasses a crowd will need a better plan. Unfortunately, all I can think of is Disney will need to limit the amount of guests in a park at any time. Beyond the logistical nightmare, I have no idea how they can do this. Grocery stores can do it, perhaps, to keep themselves from being liable, but they will have no control over the crowd that is outside of their doors waiting to get in. I don't envy any (entertainment or hospitality) business right now.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I am in Bergen County too... hello neighbor! 😁 I've recently lost my job because of this craziness unfortunately so sheltering in place is the norm regardless, but today when I went out I was kind of shocked at how many people were out and about, walking around with no worry about the 6 ft distance. Honestly I think this is going to get worse here before it gets better and the restrictions are about to get worse, at least until May.
Hi neighbor. That sucks about the job, I hope it’s a short term thing for you. I own a small business and we are still open but getting absolutely destroyed. Bleeding to death slowly while our government sits on their hands. Good times!

I actually disagree. I don’t think the restrictions will get any worse. Every time our “leaders” have tried to take a harder line, it’s been pulled back almost immediately. It’s kind of a joke. And your point of people being out walking around, that’s what I meant by apathy taking hold. Just kinda grinding out the days.

I am hopeful that the peak will come in the first week or 2 of April and by May we will start getting people back to work. Am I delusional? Maybe, but it’s not like anyone else’s predictions have come even close. 🤷‍♂️

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Sorry to hear that. I have read to go to the grocery store in your county, the store is only letting 50 people in at a time?
It is statewide. My husband went to Trader Joe's the other day and had to wait in line to get in. He said when he got in, everybody maintained their distance and the store was well-stocked.

Its a store by store thing. Wegmans for example isn’t doing 50 at a time. Neither is Shop Rite. Trader Joe’s I guess is?

Another example of lax regulations.

Timmay

If there is anyone left out there who doesn’t understand the seriousness of the situation, this memo from a large hospital system in my area will most likely be released within the next couple of days and given to patients and their families. As a physician this is one of the most heartbreaking things I’ve ever seen because we are the people who try to help and heal not just say “I’m sorry there’s nothing I can do but try to make you comfortable while you die.”😪
View attachment 458952
I’m curious...what type of doctor are you?
I ask because having worked closely with physicians over the past 16 years, that’s not an uncommon conversation or practice.

DisneyDebRob

As I said many times before. If we are to believe the reports out of China, we now know how to get this thing under control. We are probably to late for that now here and would have to much push back anyway to even consider it. But, if the reports are correct, we understand how to stop it. At least most of us can try and do our part.

Rich Brownn

People die by the over hundred thousand every single day. Those who don't die need to live life, both now and after this "crisis" has passed.

3 of my wife's 4 siblings died young (all under 40) and unexpectedly over the course of 4 years. Of course we mourned but we also continued living and most certainly cared about our next trip to WDW and other vacations/recreation.

Assuming that the people that die from this virus wouldn't have died from another cause in roughly the same timeframe (which is certainly possible for the 80+ population), the deaths from this virus represent around a 2% increase from the normal number of daily deaths in the world.

Yes, all death is sad but I prefer to live every day to its fullest because any day could be my last and adding COVID-19 into the mix doesn't make the likelihood all that much higher that it will be.
Don't focus on deaths. Focus on how many are hospitalized and how many have permanent organ damage.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I’m curious...what type of doctor are you?
I ask because having worked closely with physicians over the past 16 years, that’s not an uncommon conversation or practice.
It’s also a conversation they must be PREPARED for. Doesn’t mean they are definitely going to be having these conversations. Though some probably will.

Would have been nice if our hospitals had been prepared from jump a little better. Instead they are run by profiteering :redacted:.....and nurses don’t have masks or gowns. We don’t have enough ventilators. Retired nurses are coming back to work because we don’t have enough nurses either. To bring it back to a WDW analogy, hospitals put profit and efficiency above safety and preparedness and now it’s blowing up in our faces.

Timmay

There are a few nurses in Italy who worked in the ER that have already committed suicide.
Can I ask your source please? There are only two confirmed cases I can find of this, one being a nurse in quarantine and fearing she may have given it to others, and another similar case but disagreement as to the exact reason.

Timmay

It’s also a conversation they must be PREPARED for. Doesn’t mean they are definitely going to be having these conversations. Though some probably will.

Would have been nice if our hospitals had been prepared from jump a little better. Instead they are run by profiteering :redacted:.....and nurses don’t have masks or gowns. We don’t have enough ventilators. Retired nurses are coming back to work because we don’t have enough nurses either. To bring it back to a WDW analogy, hospitals put profit and efficiency above safety and preparedness and now it’s blowing up in our faces.

Hospitals have put themselves in this position. They have been living on borrowed time, ignoring emergency planning and spending. Grant money has been left on the table for this type of incident simply due to conflicted priorities within healthcare facilities. Strict reimbursement rules and HCAHPS have not helped either. I could write a 10 page post on the topic of how unprepared most organizations are for even the smallest emergency.

Lilofan

Can I ask your source please? There are only two confirmed cases I can find of this, one being a nurse in quarantine and fearing she may have given it to others, and another similar case but disagreement as to the exact reason.
Yes that's true (2). The most recent was a 34 year old female nurse. www.foxnews.com

Rimmit

People die by the over hundred thousand every single day. Those who don't die need to live life, both now and after this "crisis" has passed.

3 of my wife's 4 siblings died young (all under 40) and unexpectedly over the course of 4 years. Of course we mourned but we also continued living and most certainly cared about our next trip to WDW and other vacations/recreation.

Assuming that the people that die from this virus wouldn't have died from another cause in roughly the same timeframe (which is certainly possible for the 80+ population), the deaths from this virus represent around a 2% increase from the normal number of daily deaths in the world.

Yes, all death is sad but I prefer to live every day to its fullest because any day could be my last and adding COVID-19 into the mix doesn't make the likelihood all that much higher that it will be.

One of your primary arguments throughout this whole thing has been “Death happens every day. What difference does it make if more people die?”

This is an incredibly flawed argument as we can extend this argument to practically any illness. If that’s the case why do we even bother with expensive treatments in people over 65. Cancer treatments or a Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (CABG) are incredibly expensive. These older people already paid their taxes, now they are a burden to society. If we took the money in Medicare that we used on them and threw it back into the economy via tax rebates, refunds, construction projects etc. It would be a win win.

I deal in a population where sometimes their medical stay can approach 500,000-1,000,000 healthcare dollars for one life. Should we be doing that? I guess not.

If we stopped devoting resources to sick people we would have more money for the healthy population. With all the money we could have saved in Medicare by not treating the elderly the Governement could probably give a Disney Vacation to every family in the US that way we can live life to the fullest.

So I ask you this, what diagnosis and therapies do you deem worthy of treating? Everyone is gonna die someday, so what does it matter. What percent uptick in deaths would make you concerned? If 2 percent isn’t enough, what is?

I live everyday to the fullest, and Anyone that knows me personally would say that without a doubt I do, but that doesn’t mean we should stop caring about the current crisis either. You can live a “full” life AND care about lives at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Besides seeing a much cleaner park, I believe behavior of fellow guests will be in scrutiny - by Disney and by other guests. There's behavior that won't be tolerated and actively discouraged. Any place that amasses a crowd will need a better plan. Unfortunately, all I can think of is Disney will need to limit the amount of guests in a park at any time. Beyond the logistical nightmare, I have no idea how they can do this. Grocery stores can do it, perhaps, to keep themselves from being liable, but they will have no control over the crowd that is outside of their doors waiting to get in. I don't envy any (entertainment or hospitality) business right now.
What Disney is known for is safety, cleanliness, friendliness , and to maximize efficiency to increase profitability. Efficiency is going to take a back seat to ensure our health and safety.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Hospitals have put themselves in this position. They have been living on borrowed time, ignoring emergency planning and spending. Grant money has been left on the table for this type of incident simply due to conflicted priorities within healthcare facilities. Strict reimbursement rules and HCAHPS have not helped either. I could write a 10 page post on the topic of how unprepared most organizations are for even the smallest emergency.
In Bergen County it took a week of relatively small numbers of Covid cases to deplete our hospitals down to nothing. It’s an outright disgrace. Both my sons were born at Valley Hospital in Ridgewood. Total cost: $120,000. It took them a week before they need donations of masks, gloves, gowns, food....

edit to add....

Normal births. Complication free. No surgery.

DisneyDebRob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom