What's Still On and What's Now Off

TJJohn12

They also want to sell more contracts...something not helped by making restrictions on those that have made them insanely rich buying and using it for 30 years.

Dvc will be the highest of priorities when they reload...Who are we kidding?

It's actually why I'm thinking more about going DVC when this is all over - I imagine the incentives they'll need to offer in a bear market, plus the glut of foreclosures will make for some OK deals for the folks that have cash flow. The focus is going to need to be on the long-term, locked-in customers for a while as TWDC get back on their feet. And they'll be begging to lock more folks in.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
At the moment, I think we're forecasting a ramp-up in demand that lasts a little more than two months. We also think that the parks won't open at anything close to full capacity, and that it'll take a while to ramp those things up too.
How can they reconcile a half capacity park with potentially a full compliment of guests? Seems like a recipe for disaster. I can tell you that assuming my Memorial Day trip is not canceled because the park isn't reopened, if it reflects the crowd forecast TP is telling me (paid subscriber) and they don't have the capacity (attractions, dining, shopping) it's going to be a major negative for them.

peter11435

How can they reconcile a half capacity park with potentially a full compliment of guests? Seems like a recipe for disaster. I can tell you that assuming my Memorial Day trip is not canceled because the park isn't reopened, if it reflects the crowd forecast TP is telling me (paid subscriber) and they don't have the capacity (attractions, dining, shopping) it's going to be a major negative for them.
Capacity can be limited.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's actually why I'm thinking more about going DVC when this is all over - I imagine the incentives they'll need to offer in a bear market, plus the glut of foreclosures will make for some OK deals for the folks that have cash flow. The focus is going to need to be on the long-term, locked-in customers for a while as TWDC get back on their feet. And they'll be begging to lock more folks in.
The third party resale site prices are already falling...down 20% already and they’ll continue to head south for awhile.

That’s a good thing...they were ripping people off heavily for nearly 10 years. It always “comes around”

lentesta

Premium Member

I don't think anyone is forecasting enough guests for a full park. We think it'll be a couple of months (at least) for crowds to ramp up.

TeriofTerror

I work as as a travel agent on the side, and I have one guest with a trip still planned for mid-April. And let me tell you, if Disney is open, she's going. I keep telling her it's not happening, but until Disney comes out and says they're closed, nothing is going to convince her to cancel. I have a feeling she's not alone. If Disney is open, plenty of people are going to go -- especially trips that are already booked/paid for.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If you keep many attractions, stores, restaurants, entertainment offerings, and hotels closed you can limit overhead.
They will...but that’s not a 1:1 scenario on employees. Just a rough guess is they’d need to get 2/3 back just to get the property back up...could be less...but not a fraction of the overall workforce.

The other issue is this: what are you charging for half the parks?

Is the concept the “zeal for Disney” is going to produce satisfaction for full price tickets and reduced value?

Says everyone who ever worked for Disney: “...Ha!”

peter11435

They will...but that’s not a 1:1 scenario on employees. Just a rough guess is they’d need to get 2/3 back just to get the property back up...could be less...but not a fraction of the overall workforce.

The other issue is this: what are you charging for half the parks?

Is the concept the “zeal for Disney” is going to produce satisfaction for full price tickets and reduced value?

Says everyone who ever worked for Disney: “...Ha!”
I think we both know they will charge full price for tickets with deals and special offers increasing.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I work as as a travel agent on the side, and I have one guest with a trip still planned for mid-April. And let me tell you, if Disney is open, she's going. I keep telling her it's not happening, but until Disney comes out and says they're closed, nothing is going to convince her to cancel. I have a feeling she's not alone. If Disney is open, plenty of people are going to go -- especially trips that are already booked/paid for.

The question is how many of these die-hards represent the normal daily capacity.

These die-hards stick out in people's minds, and so, it may seem they're representative of everyone, when they may in fact be only 10% of the usual crowd.

If unemployment is very high when this is all over, there will be a lot of financial insecurity within a recession. I wouldn't bet on record crowds when WDW opens.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Season pass holders, many of whom are local, while others who are used to scheduling and making last minute trips, will be rushing in to get their moneys worth, I’m guessing.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
just not sure I understand how opening the parks but limiting people would spread people out (enough) to keep from spreading something.

queues, busses, front gate, bathrooms, restaurants, etc. not everyone can/will be 6ft apart and lots of people will be touching things all over

it may be more of a PR move than a really stopping anyone from getting something move

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Season pass holders, many of whom are local, while others who are used to scheduling and making last minute trips, will be rushing in to get their moneys worth, I’m guessing.

Pass holders are getting their passes extended for the length of the shut down.

Josh Hendy

R
I know I am alone on this but I am glad SSE is not getting a refurb. That is my go to attraction in Epcot. I will admit I have not followed the tread on it mainly because I was worried about the changes.
I would rather SSE only get a thorough fixing and restoration to be closer to its glory days, than have its message or look-and-feel fundamentally altered. Especially if it was given a flashy, tasteless "light show" treatment or (shudder) cartoon IP.

dizneycrazy09

just not sure I understand how opening the parks but limiting people would spread people out (enough) to keep from spreading something.

queues, busses, front gate, bathrooms, restaurants, etc. not everyone can/will be 6ft apart and lots of people will be touching things all over

it may be more of a PR move than a really stopping anyone from getting something move

I imagine it'll be like the security theater they've been performing at the entrance of parks for the last 5 or so years. More of a show than an actual preventative measure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom