Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

This is so amazing, and extremely sad.

View attachment 458670

Here’s a larger view of China-

View attachment 458671

It should be noted that part of why it is cheaper to manufacture in China is their lack of the types of pollution control regulations we have in the US.

I'm not talking about CO2. I'm talking particulates and nitrous oxide, the type of pollution that makes air dirty and less healthy to breathe.

Lilofan

It should be noted that part of why it is cheaper to manufacture in China is their lack of the types of pollution control regulations we have in the US.

I'm not talking about CO2. I'm talking particulates an nitrous oxide, the type of pollution that makes air dirty and less healthy to breathe.
I know some people who visited the Disney park in China. The air is so polluted that when you wash your face with soap and water, one removes so much grime from one's face.

Last edited:

JohnD

Getting back to WDW for a moment, today was my 60 days out to make FP+ selections. At 7am, MMRR was already gone on my planned day of 5/26 (probably from other vacations that started before mine) and the other E Ticket attractions were going quickly. If my experience is any indication, people are certainly acting like WDW will be open by Memorial Day (5/25). Edit: I extended to 5/30. Got MMRR in the mid-afternoon.

Last edited:

Rimmit

Not including whatever capacity New York had before, they are being sent 4,000 ventilators. I picked New York because it is the only state with a truly significant outbreak. If 10% of the cases require ventilators, just those 4,000 are enough to support 400,000 cases. That doesn't include capacity that already existed.

Maybe my math is off, but isn’t 4,000 10% of 40,000?

esskay

Is shutting down half the country not doing anything? The increase in new cases is slowing down as some of the new case stats this week are from clearing the testing backlog. There is also a lag in the effect of the measures taken due to the incubation period.
I think thats the issue though, the lag is upto 14 days so what we're seeing at the moment is based on the actions from 2 weeks ago. It's only this week that the US has really started locking down (and honstly its still not enough - they need to do what most of Europe has done and go for nation wide lockdown with trips out for essential groceries and exercise only).

The US rates will still rise for at least another week. Even then though I don't think enough has been done. The very blase approach goes against what everyone else is doing. This whole 'back to work by easter' thing just isn't realistic at all, and is more likely going to cause a massive spike again in a months time.

DisneyCane

I think thats the issue though, the lag is upto 14 days so what we're seeing at the moment is based on the actions from 2 weeks ago. It's only this week that the US has really started locking down (and honstly its still not enough - they need to do what most of Europe has done and go for nation wide lockdown with trips out for essential groceries and exercise only).

The US rates will still rise for at least another week. Even then though I don't think enough has been done. The very blase approach goes against what everyone else is doing. This whole 'back to work by easter' thing just isn't realistic at all, and is more likely going to cause a massive spike again in a months time.
Whenever the lockdowns are ended there will be another outbreak unless there is seasonality to it. That's why I've felt from the beginning that these actions are pointless because you can't leave them in place until s vaccine is available.

I also strongly disagree with the concept that the US needs to do what Europe is doing (ignoring the fact that the only way to do a national lockdown would be to declare martial law). I don't know how much of the US you have visited or driven through but a very large percentage of the US is very sparsely populated. There is no need to lock down Montana for example where most counties have population densities below 5 people per square mile.

Or a state like Iowa with 3 "metropolitan" areas that are basically suburbs except for a small "downtown" in Des Moines with a few blocks of multi-story buildings.

From what I know of Europe, the population density is higher in general.

A place like Manhattan or the Las Vegas strip may need to be locked down because, on a normal day the sidewalks are packed with pedestrians. In most areas of the USA, including the congested Orlando vicinity, I don't see the need to do anything more than increase social distancing (things like 50% dining room capacity) and enhanced sanitizing along with people who are sick staying home.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Maybe my math is off, but isn’t 4,000 10% of 40,000?
Isn’t NY getting pretty close to 40,000 cases? I guess that’s why the governor is on TV every day begging for more ventilators. Does anyone know the capacity of those military hospital ships they are bringing in? Besides hospital beds and equipment I assume they also have military doctors and nurses to help out. It’s not just the equipment but the staff. You can’t work people round the clock for weeks on end and expect them to hold up. Doctors and nurses are accustomed to working long hours, but everyone has their breaking point.

Mayor of Teaneck NJ on TV just now, says they have 2 unused ventilators in their local hospital. The numbers used and available are always averages or statewide but on a facility by facility basis it’s not always evenly spread.

prberk

I miss talking about how IP attractions being built is ruining WDW...

Yes, it does give us a little perspective, doesn't it? Our world (and our wonderful World) has been affected.

It is strange to think that just a month ago, we were looking at new attractions and still discussing, as usual, the future of the Carousel of Progress. Now progress has either paused or taken a left turn. And now we have a good time to look at what things mean to us.

You know, one difference between this and 9/11/01 is that there is not one exact moment to point to when, as Alan Jackson's song says, "the world stopped turning," but I can say that it has some similarities. We can point to an event or thing that caused us all to stop, whether we wanted to or not, and take inventory of life and the things we take for granted.

Lilofan

Isn’t NY getting pretty close to 40,000 cases? I guess that’s why the governor is on TV every day begging for more ventilators. Does anyone know the capacity of those military hospital ships they are bringing in? Besides hospital beds and equipment I assume they also have military doctors and nurses to help out. It’s not just the equipment but the staff. You can’t work people round the clock for weeks on end and expect them to hold up. Doctors and nurses are accustomed to working long hours, but everyone has their breaking point.

Mayor of Teaneck NJ on TV just now, says they have 2 unused ventilators in their local hospital. The numbers used and available are always averages or statewide but on a facility by facility basis it’s not always evenly spread.
CNN is reporting today NYC has contracted with refrigeration truck companies to store overflowing NYC coronavirus deceased that when hospitals run out of space and autopsy tents are being staged outside hospitals ( Bellevue) when morgues are running at full.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Korea never locked down. The Korean people locked down. Because unlike the states, Korea dealt with SARS and MERS which had huge ramifications.
I believe S Korea did lock down for a couple of weeks, but then instituted mass testing and isolation procedures. Our biggest failing was not having enough testing available earlier. Goal now is to get back to a more manageable level so we can then test and isolate.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yowser, unemployment claims hit 3.28 million last week. That blows a decades old record from the 80s out of the water...
This graph says it all. It’s stunning to see.

C39D0690-F42A-4111-B9B9-615208E8656A.png

mikejs78

Premium Member
Whenever the lockdowns are ended there will be another outbreak unless there is seasonality to it. That's why I've felt from the beginning that these actions are pointless because you can't leave them in place until s vaccine is available.

I also strongly disagree with the concept that the US needs to do what Europe is doing (ignoring the fact that the only way to do a national lockdown would be to declare martial law). I don't know how much of the US you have visited or driven through but a very large percentage of the US is very sparsely populated. There is no need to lock down Montana for example where most counties have population densities below 5 people per square mile.

Or a state like Iowa with 3 "metropolitan" areas that are basically suburbs except for a small "downtown" in Des Moines with a few blocks of multi-story buildings.

From what I know of Europe, the population density is higher in general.

A place like Manhattan or the Las Vegas strip may need to be locked down because, on a normal day the sidewalks are packed with pedestrians. In most areas of the USA, including the congested Orlando vicinity, I don't see the need to do anything more than increase social distancing (things like 50% dining room capacity) and enhanced sanitizing along with people who are sick staying home.
The point of what we are doing now is to get the cases to a more manageable level, and then we can start to follow the S Korea model of testing, testing, testing and isolating those areas affected only. It's too out of control right now to do that because of our early failures. It remains to be seen if what we have done is enough or if we need to do more like Europe. Hopefully, with a rigourous test/isolate process, we can avoid another one of these lockdowns for the next 12-18 months until a vaccine can be developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom