Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel Ariel

I wanted to make sure to (re)post factual findings rather than people to start to over worry about children, based on a link of how many have asthma or other high risk conditions. I’m sure Italy and China have high risk children too, as does the US, and yet we’re not seeing a large amount of children being hospitalized, or even showing serious symptoms.
That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be careful, you should.

I absolutely appreciate that.

I also find it important to remind people that there are kids that are at risk, because there have been vast numbers of people around where I live acting like nothing is happening - to the point of needing to close the national mall and tidal basin entirely even though they are outdoors because people refused to follow the social distancing recommendations. So many people are seeing the discussion of how mildly it impacts *most* people and using it as a reason to not take any of the precautions that have been recommended, and just go about how they always would. That still matters to families like mine, because while we do our level best to limit exposure, there are still times we need to go out.

Angel Ariel

Excuse me for hijacking your excellent point, but you brought up a point of frustration from living in The Netherlands in the time of Coronavirus!

I also get asthma and for the first time in about a year last week started wheezing but found I only had an almost empty out-of-date Ventolin puffer on hand. So I made an appointment with the doctor who rang me as they're not taking appointments, and told me she'd send the prescription to the pharmacy who would send me a message to come and collect it. That was on Friday, when it got to Monday and I hadn't heard anything I got in touch with the clinic who told me to call the pharmacy, as pharmacies are also now closed due to coronavirus. The guy on the phone snapped that prescriptions take 3 to 4 business days and don't call again. So, it's 5 days later and still no asthma medication.
Ugh, I'm so sorry :( DD doesn't have asthma, but we do have an inhaler as any time she gets even a cold, if it settles in her chest it takes weeks to leave and she needs the inhaler to help get rid of it. making sure it was up to date with enough doses left was definitely a priority. I'm sorry the situation is making it so difficult for you to get your meds :(

21stamps

This is so amazing, and extremely sad.

20CF8119-848A-48D9-B2D4-A0BCA18B01F0.jpeg

Here’s a larger view of China-

B95FF4AD-B580-43A0-B276-17460FAF9A42.jpeg

Aries1975

I don’t want to search for the link right now.. but did you see the NASA image of Wuhan during their quarantine? The lack of pollution, side by side image, was nearly unbelievable.
Actually, I’ll find it and post. Too incredible not to.
I saw a very specific chart someone posted earlier with reference to vehicle emissions. And I saw a similar one for the NYC metro. Although, not as clear as one would hope. Unfortunately, even though we use mostly nuclear power, the jet stream moves west to east. So, even if every vehicle is off, we still have whatever the wind carries our way.

We are not perfect by any stretch. But many of us are putting solar panels on our home, driving hybrids or EV cars, and taking the train whenever possible.

So, funny. My father would yell at us about turning off the lights, standing in front of the open fridge, etc. We thought he was cheap (and he was). Today, he would be an environmentalist.

21stamps

@Rimmit This part of your article is interesting, 13 children were critical, 112 severe. I don’t see any notations on if the pediatric patients had underlying conditions, do you know if that information exists? It does say that infants are more susceptible based on this study.

16215F0E-EDE5-439D-8C78-48FDDF2CECF3.jpeg

Last edited:

Rimmit

@Rimmit This part of the article is interesting, less than 73 children experienced severe symptoms in China (unless some of the serious cases were suspected and not confirmed). I don’t see any notations on if the pediatric patients had underlying conditions, do you know if that information exists?

View attachment 458672

Given the speed at which this article was published (and this actually has not been published in Pediatrics yet) which is literally warp factor 10 in academia,I suspect the best they could do was do a quick chart review at best regarding the 2143 patients. They simply stated in their methods that the info was extracted from the Chinese CDC. Since this is not the true medical record I suspect the information in the database is rather limited. As someone who has had to do chart reviews for research in the past, the time it takes to review 2143 charts would be quite considerable, and in this case they shortcutted by using a third party database rather than the root source.
So to answer your question, I have not seen any data in my daily emails from the AAP and my internet reading regarding Children, comorbidites and Coronavirus.

21stamps

Given the speed at which this article was published (and this actually has not been published in Pediatrics yet) which is literally warp factor 10 in academia,I suspect the best they could do was do a quick chart review at best regarding the 2143 patients. They simply stated in their methods that the info was extracted from the Chinese CDC. Since this is not the true medical record I suspect the information in the database is rather limited. As someone who has had to do chart reviews for research in the past, the time it takes to review 2143 charts would be quite considerable, and in this case they shortcutted by using a third party database rather than the root source.
So to answer your question, I have not seen any data in my daily emails from the AAP and my internet reading regarding Children, comorbidites and Coronavirus.

It really is mind boggling how children are largely spared, though thankfully so. Outside of the newborns reactions, which obviously makes sense, I’d like to know more info about the severe or critical.
I hope we see the detailed reports some day.

solidyne

I am not saying this to be a smartass but as a physician. At this point paying attention to the number of infected is not the most important part, it's paying attention to how many have died. That will be the indicator of how well your health systems are working to fight this.
Yes, particularly deaths-per-capita when comparing the systems with those in other countries. (Other factors involved, too, of course.)
dook fan. 🤮
also aw-bern fan. 🤢🤮

Rimmit

It really is mind boggling how children are largely spared, though thankfully so. Outside of the newborns reactions, which obviously makes sense, I’d like to know more info about the severe or critical.
I hope we see the detailed reports some day.

It is quite odd. I have been following this since early Jan as we had an Asian Disney trip planned for Mar 26... which was today (sob), and have been following the pediatric aspect very closely as that is my field of practice. The best I can surmise is that because kids get anywhere from 4-7 colds a year they have some cross immunity to corona from all the respiratory viruses they are continually getting infected with. I am sure when people can devote more research time to this disease it is something that will be investigated very heavily.

Something people don’t entirely realize is that kids are incredibly resilient. It takes a lot for a child to die, and imo for a child or infant to die they have to almost just give up. The medical conditions which I have seen children and infants rebound From are nothing short of miraculous sometimes.

esskay

Nothing today announcement wise? I guess they are waiting until after the markets close Friday.
Yeah would've thought Friday at close of play. Initially I'd assume they'll replicate Universals announcement of closing until mid April but realistically we're looking at June - later if the US Govt. doesn't pull its finger out and do whats necessery to slow things down.

Lilofan

Someone mentioned they’re waiting to see what they get from the stimulus package 🤷🏻‍♀️ I dunno
In Disneyland blogs on this site a member did mention something about Disney possibly using stimulus money to continue park projects. Parks and Resorts closure and Disney is losing at least $15 million a day.

Lilofan

To me, just an opinion, it should have nothing to do with leaving employees to wonder where their next paycheck is coming from. It’s 5 days away.
It's not an easy decision for Disney to make. You probably know that. If a company paid me to stay home until X time, then I would expect to get notification right before X time expires.

Jwink

It's not an easy decision for Disney to make. You probably know that. If a company paid me to stay home until X time, then I would expect to get notification right before X time expires.
I guess I’m just going off what universal did.

my fear... and it’s founded on nothing so far- just a fear- is that they are planning to furlough everyone so that they collect unemployment with this new stimulus.

DisneyCane

I mean what the heck are they expecting people to do? Get laid off/furloughed and then try to compete with the 15,000 others in the same position in your city for the 52 publix jobs available 🤦🏼‍♀️

I didn’t share this yet but my husband was furloughed from his second job yesterday 😖. Disney is his main income but the 2nd one brings in around $950 extra a month which is huge. Poor guy works so hard. So he’s already applied at Publix, Trader Joe’s, and a forklift job. In one day! He’s a keeper 😍. I work from home and my job isn’t affected (as of yet)

but honestly with the new reports of kiddos and young adults being affected badly by covid-19 and we have an 8 year old and an infant... I don’t know if I want him working in a grocery store 😬😬

I don't know if they made changes before passing the bill. What those senators were concerned about is not the present but when companies are allowed to operate again. They don't want people incentivized to stay on unemployment rather than return to work because the enhanced unemployment insurance pays more than they earn.

As for these reports of kids and young adults having serious illnesses, you need to keep the perspective that the media is reporting on every single one of those cases that they can find. Nobody ever said that no young healthy person can have a serious illness. They have said that they are highly unlikely to and that (at least as of the latest I saw) there haven't been any fatalities in the world for a child under 9.

In a way I can agree with the media hype for these cases to get young people to pay attention to the precautions. However, on the other hand they are scaring people like you by focusing on a handful of cases out of hundreds of thousands (or millions depending on the number of asymptomatic or mild cases that were never tested).

DisneyCane

There WILL be images of people choking to death in hallways. And people get much more scared of something when someone they know dies of that thing.
Can we please stop with the ridiculous hyperbole? This post is like the one reporter that keeps asking questions by referring to "people suffocating" somewhere in the question.

Not including whatever capacity New York had before, they are being sent 4,000 ventilators. I picked New York because it is the only state with a truly significant outbreak. If 10% of the cases require ventilators, just those 4,000 are enough to support 400,000 cases. That doesn't include capacity that already existed.

To date there have been a little over 400,000 cases outside of China in THE ENTIRE WORLD. If NY gets anywhere near that number with all these measures in place then there can be no argument that they are all pointless.

One caveat is that, if testing is expanded to cover people that wouldn't get tested under current guidance then the number of confirmed cases would be higher but the percentage of ventilator cases would be lower because everyone that needs a ventilator is being tested so that number isn't dependent on test coverage.

The number of ventilators is being focused on because the testing has increased to levels beyond the rest of the world. Therefore, media members can't attack the testing anymore (outside of stupid things like not being able to test the entire population) so they attack the number of ventilators.

DisneyCane

Yeah would've thought Friday at close of play. Initially I'd assume they'll replicate Universals announcement of closing until mid April but realistically we're looking at June - later if the US Govt. doesn't pull its finger out and do whats necessery to slow things down.
Is shutting down half the country not doing anything? The increase in new cases is slowing down as some of the new case stats this week are from clearing the testing backlog. There is also a lag in the effect of the measures taken due to the incubation period.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom