What's Still On and What's Now Off

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
1.jpg

WDW Pro

Original Poster
I did. This is the first I’ve heard of that proposal from a reputable source.

Again, that's the plan if they can somehow get the parks open before June. People are underestimating just how difficult it is to restart everything; none of this was ever designed to be shut down for a significant period of time.

What’re the chances of something else going in place of the SW quadrant? Like a rebuild of what was, a redesigned Festival Center, or something entirely different?

Zilch. The money is dry. The losses from closing all theme parks is in the billions, ESPN is essentially down, and the only revenue streams currently are ABC and Disney+... even merch is non-existent at this point.

Is disnerd2003 actually Brayden?

I can tell you I'm not Brayden. And if he uses this thread for his next video, I expect citation.

I’m sorry but that’s nonsense.

Their last 10-Q showed them with something like $80 billion dollars in equity they could borrow against before they went chapter 11. Parks and Resorts have ANNUAL expenses of $17 billion (source: 10-K). And that’s when they’re running. Studio $8 billion/year, again, when it’s running.

They could sit quietly for a LONG time before we’re taking bankruptcy.

Lets not get sensationalist.

I'm not sure your math is adding up... too simplistic. Additionally, there are huge costs associated with restarting the parks after long downtime. If Disney has every single theme park down through September (I said through summer), plus sports don't start up (ESPN down), plus China doesn't start mass-producing Mickey plushes (merch bring in no money), and unemployment rates in the US climb up to the 20% range... it's going to be bad. I'm not sure some of you are realizing just how bad this can get if we don't find a pharmaceutical intervention soon.

And yes, I see that one of you has had COVID-19. Unfortunately, your rather mild symptoms don't reflect 20% of the population's reaction to the disease (for reasons we don't yet understand). When 15-20% of the population requires significant medical intervention to get through a disease, and when contagion levels are this high, you can easily see how your healthcare system becomes overwhelmed as we see in Italy, Spain, Iran, etc. We're not ordering stay-at-home measures for the first time in the history of the United States because this is like the flu.

Thanks for your bravery jumping in here with this lol. It’s appreciated. Being that this gets extremely close with what I had heard quite a few days ago (which freaks me out even more), I’m curious if you are also hearing that the intention is for cast to start reporting on the 18th with a planned phased opening on the 20th? I’m honestly still not sure I believe it with how messed up things just got here in Orange County but I guess anything is possible.

This thing changes every 24 hours, but I do not believe that is the intent as of a few hours ago. Disney will continue to plan for the soonest possible restart to provide flexibility, but the 20th does not currently seem doable. The whole world is waiting to see if there's a pharmaceutical intervention that can save of us from a global depression.

UNCgolf

It may be more of the bankruptcy side of the post.

Oh, yeah, that's pretty unlikely. I said earlier that Chapter 11 isn't out of the realm of possibility depending on how bad things get, and I don't think it is. I'd still be shocked if it actually gets to that point, though.

I do think a lot of people hear bankruptcy and think that means the company is shutting down permanently when that's not usually the case for businesses.

Last edited:

jt04

Oh, yeah, that's pretty unlikely. I said earlier that Chapter 11 isn't out of the realm of possibility depending on how bad things get, and I don't think it is. I'd still be shocked if it actually gets to that point, though.

I do think a lot of people hear bankruptcy and think that means the company is shutting down permanently, though, when that's not usually the case for businesses.

WWII didn't stop Disney or many other American companies. Just saying.

jmp85

Heh. I don’t have the highest opinion of the guy but that’s my personal bias. This is sensationalism from a guy who sensationalizes Covid-19. As someone who has actually had Covid-19, I believe it is more widespread than reported and will resolve itself faster than the worst-case scenario and kill fewer people than the worst-case scenario. On the other hand, as a resident of the New York Metropolitan Area, it hurts my heart to think of how things are going to look around here over the next 8 weeks. We are in for heartbreaking news in April.

Off topic, but glad to see you're doing better mate.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm not at all suggesting that buybacks are always positive. I'm not suggesting that at all.

I think it's odd that pundits and political figures get pushed out of shape regarding buybacks but don't utter a peep when it comes to dividends, which serve exactly the same purpose. Could it be that buybacks don't result in as much tax revenue as dividends, given that investors have the option of selling, often without much of a gain, while they don't have the option of refusing a dividend?

I do think some companies have gone overboard. I don't think Disney is one of them.

I don't understand how basic economics is "artificial" but okay.
3-3%20Equilbrium_08.jpg
You can’t be that’s naive.

A company buying its own stock to create scarcity artificially and boost price...which gives false payouts to the shareholders via price and dividends...which is then used as a justification of executive compensation, bonuses and parachutes....

Is not “supply and demand”

Did you study at the university of Chicago without ever sleeping??

jt04

You can’t be that’s naive.

A company buying its own stock to create scarcity artificially and boost price...which gives false payouts to the shareholders via price and dividends...which is then used as a justification of executive compensation, bonuses and parachutes....

Is not “supply and demand”

Did you study at the university of Chicago without ever sleeping??

You can't even manage your bitterness during an existential crisis?

UNCgolf

WWII didn't stop Disney or many other American companies. Just saying.

Disney was actually pretty close to failing as a company in 1940 -- WW2 probably helped Disney more than anything (since they were used to produce propaganda thus giving them work), which is actually true of a lot of American companies. WW2 isn't a good comparison for this at all.

Regardless, I still don't think Disney is going to have to file Chapter 11.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom