What's Still On and What's Now Off

flynnibus

Premium Member
I mean Epcot needs all the cast members from the other countries. I assume they wouldn't be able to come over for a long while so makes sense.

What do you mean 'need'? Those roles can be filled by anyone... they just won't be cultural reps. Most guests wouldn't bat a eye.

I think the problem is more their idea of closing indoor theatres. If you do that, EPCOT shrinks a hell of a lot more than even it's previously reduced self. If you take away everything but Frozen and Mexico in WS... and Future World is already on it's knees... you can see why they might be inclined to...

shutitdown.gif

Even with reduced load... replacing all that dining capacity is a tough one though.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Really? That seems like an obvious project to abandon to me.

For one thing, its viability seems to depend on people spending insane money to stay there. If one thing is certain, the economy will be in ruins at least for the short term once this crisis passes.

The other point is that suddenly the idea of a hotel simulating a cruise ship experience doesn't seem quite so appealing!

If you’re that concerned about getting the virus at a hotel then you probably shouldn’t travel until the vaccine is out.

Dranth

Coincidentally I just got a Touring Plans update for my May and August Trips. May is for Memorial Day weekend. May was slightly down mostly 1-2 points per day per park. August was way up 4 went to 10 etc.

Got one from them today for my October trip and it was the same. Days that were 2-4 are now 7-9 for the entire trip.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Out of all those, the SW Hotel seems the most surprising. It's almost built and has been hyped for ages.

I could see delaying the opening for a while, but boarding it up I wouldn't have imagined.

We don't know how much interior work has been done. The outside shell was probably relatively cheep to build, so they may still be looking at a large part of the budget to finish it.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
We don't know how much interior work has been done. The outside shell was probably relatively cheep to build, so they may still be looking at a large part of the budget to finish it.
I just don't see how they can leave it to suffer the fate of the Pop Century/AoA. Same thing with the DVC. I think it's a misunderstanding of the word abandonment.

doctornick

I did. This is the first I’ve heard of that proposal from a reputable source.
Brayden? Reputable?

Yeah, um, this. Have there ever been a reason to assume the OP is a reliable insider? I know he claims to be but I don't really recall any instance where s/he has been shown to have revealed information before anyone else.

Most of the claims on this thread are stuff others have suggested, are fairly obvious guesses (Mary Poppins being cancelled? Would be such a shock...) or are vague enough that would fit with the standard "that was the plan and they Disney went another direction" disclaimer.

If someone more reliable would comment on the accuracy then I'd start worrying.

DVCakaCarlF

Regarding AOA/POP, there were probably other issues no known to the public. I was on a hotel project that didn’t have have the correct fire protection for deaf/blind, and it delayed the opening six months before it opened. I wouldnt be surprised if the economy at the time, and contractor issues, rendered the building unable to acquire a certificate of occupancy.

Construction, even at disney, is a collection of a bunch of humans attempting to make everything work as designed...that never happens.

TTA94

To early to say if the 50th plans have been cut?
Knowing WDW they will try and be slick and not return Festival of Fantasy and HEA until the 50th, summer or fall 2021, making a announcement that these entertainment offerings will be back in time for MKs 50th Anniversary.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Waiting for an official statement from Disney. Not only (possible) re-opening date, but also under which new circumstances WDW parks, resorts, etc. would operate. People with already planned trips, need to know these things asap in order to make decisions and organize.

We haven't canceled our early May trip just yet, but we might, if for one, EPCOT remains closed by then. I'm sure many are in a similar situation.

I'm well aware that given the difficult times the whole world is facing, this subject isn't as important. My comments here, pertain to this specific subject/thread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom