Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This doesn't change your narrative, because it's still true, but you will see a large spike in numbers all over the US in the coming days as tests are more readily available. The numbers will start to catch up to reality as more folks get tested.

The exponential spikes in those affected in Washington and New York all happened with very few test kits. The exponential spike in numbers affected was because the number of people seriously ill enough to get one of the few tests exponentially grew.

Also, the death rates everywhere also exponentially grew.

I'm saying this just so no one thinks that an exponential spike in those affected is simply because test kits become more plentiful. With or without test kits, the critically ill and death rates exponentially spiked.

Florida, right now, has deaths from CV doubling every 4 days. As the spread spikes, you'll see that death rate start to double every 2 days unless a lock down in enacted right now.

hopemax

I needed a reminder, and in case anyone else needs one as well. Here are WDW's attendance numbers for 2000-2003

MK - 15.4, Epcot - 10.6, DHS - 8.9, AK - 8.3

MK - 14.7, Epcot - 9.0, DHS - 8.3, AK - 7.7

MK - 14.0, Epcot - 8.3, DHS - 8.0, AK -7.3

MK - 14.0, Epcot - 8.6, DHS - 7.8, AK - 7.3

Comparing 2000 to 2002: MK: -9.1%, Epcot -21.6%, DHS: -10.1%, AK: -12%

Some people will still show up, probably even enough to sell out RotR BG's as fast as ever, but overall gate is what will matter. A 10% decline, was devastating. That's probably a "best case scenario" for this, with the way International travel will continue to be affected. Do we want to start at a prediction of 25% decline and work from there?

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
The exponential spikes in those affected in Washington and New York all happened with very few test kits. The exponential spike in numbers affected was because the number of people seriously ill enough to get one of the few tests exponentially grew.

I'm saying this just so no one thinks that an exponential spike in those affected is simply because test kits become more plentiful. With or without test kits, the critically ill and death rates exponentially spiked.

Florida, right now, has deaths from CV doubling every 4 days. As the spread spikes, you'll see that death rate start to double every 2 days unless a lock down in enacted right now.
Makes sense, but also consider the death rate (actual %) will go down statistically when you increase your base. So in other words, the more tests taken, the more infected (with Mild to no symptoms), as a % the death rate will go down. Hopefully that is clear as mud ;)

DisneyDebRob

Exactly right. Our county just went up by 14. The most in a day. Some will say, that’s low that’s great. But they always tell you these are tests done 10 days ago.They are still only testing very small amounts everyday .

Stripes

If Disney is smart, they’ll green light new stuff to draw people back to the parks. I suspect this will be like 9/11 and everyone will be scared of everything for a while. It’ll take a year and a half to get back to “normal.”
The other aspect is that competition is obviously very strong in the Orlando theme park market. If Comcast continues to proceed with Epic Universe, Disney isn't going to cut their projects.

Ponderer

Were people scared away from WDW after the pending closure was announced? Crowds may be down if the economy is down but not from fear. If WDW announced it was opening back up tomorrow, it would be just as difficult to to get boarding groups for RotR and FoP would have a 150 minute standby line.

Right now, this is true. But later, it depends how many images of dead bodies stacked up in hospitals start showing up, how many people don't have an income, how many people start losing family members. Fewer people want to vacation after grief and trauma.

Some people will come back, but what we want - and how we function - as a people on the back end of this, no one can honestly say. It just depends how deeply your nation and community were affected. It sure took a good while for WDW to fully recover after 9/11, and this outbreak threatens to have a much higher human and economic cost than that.

Stripes

With or without test kits the growth of cases is going to be exponential, but the lack of test kits early on makes the growth curve sharper than it really is.

As more tests are administered we will see the death rate and critically ill rate decrease, as a percentage of all coronavirus cases. Total number of deaths and critically ill patients will obviously increase.

gmajew

Premium Member
I will be cancelling my trip this year.... Not because I don't want to go but because it will look bad to my staff if I were to take a vacation when we finally get to start working again. I had to lay off nearly 400 employees this past week in my restaurants and have a skeleton crew of less then 100 now in them now. This is just depressing..... as I don't know how we get our feet back under us after such a long time off.

DisneyDebRob

I will be cancelling my trip this year.... Not because I don't want to go but because it will look bad to my staff if I were to take a vacation when we finally get to start working again. I had to lay off nearly 400 employees this past week in my restaurants and have a skeleton crew of less then 100 now in them now. This is just depressing..... as I don't know how we get our feet back under us after such a long time off.
Sorry about that. Must be so hard to do that. Head up, it will work out.

JohnD

Looks like Disney removed this for some reason :/

Someone probably got offended. Someone always gets offended. I can think of several questions:
1. Why are you caring for animals? What about us?
2. Shouldn't you be at home in self-quarantine?

Etc, etc, etc. Of course the animals have to be cared for but I'm sure they heard from someone who got their nose out of joint.

EDIT: OTOH, the video probably got moved. Here's the whole blog piece with video

GoofGoof

Premium Member
POTUS wants country open by Easter. Could be first step towards WDW opening sometime in mid-April. I personally think they will end up delaying again, but that’s the talk right now.

hopemax

POTUS wants country open by Easter. Could be first step towards WDW opening sometime in mid-April. I personally think they will end up delaying again, but that’s the talk right now.

He can wish it all he wants. When Florida's numbers spike like NY's, ain't nobody gonna want to be anywhere near Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom