Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

wdwgreek

Florida is in the top ten of states with cases of Covid-19 as of this morning. If Florida thinks merely quarantining out of state travel will solve their problem they are mistaken. Covid-19 is in Florida in huge numbers with small hotspots all around the state and growing each day. On friday there were 500 ish cases in Florida it doubled in less then 4 days.

New York-20,875 Cases and 157 deaths
NewJersey-2,844 Cases and 27 deaths
California-2,240 Cases and 39 deaths
Washington-2,101 Cases and 109 deaths
Michigan-1,324 Cases and 16 deaths
Illinois-1,285 Cases and 12 deaths
Florida-1,222 Cases and 16 deaths
Louisiana-1,172 Cases and 34 deaths
Georgia-800 Cases and 25 deaths
Massachusetts-777 Cases and 5 deaths

celluloid

So do we think Flower and Garden will be extended? I don't know that the flowers could last in the heat but I would think the food both could remain. I saw that California Adventure had extended their festival.

No. It is likely done. The food prep vendors, beautificaiton of the grass/foliage and all the concerts were thrown off.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Florida is in the top ten of states with cases of Covid-19 as of this morning. If Florida thinks merely quarantining out of state travel will solve their problem they are mistaken. Covid-19 is in Florida in huge numbers with small hotspots all around the state and growing each day. On friday there were 500 ish cases in Florida it doubled in less then 4 days.

This doesn't change your narrative, because it's still true, but you will see a large spike in numbers all over the US in the coming days as tests are more readily available. The numbers will start to catch up to reality as more folks get tested.

ELG13

Florida has become a punchline in covid-19 jokes. Seriously. I follow a few comedians on IG and they all are making comments about how Florida doesn't seem to notice a virus, or that we aren't doing anything to stop it. I know our governor is trying to keep the peace but I think the majority of us now are just hoping he will issue a stay at home order because people can obviously not be expected to behave appropriately.

Incomudro

When a hurricane comes along, people panic buy, prepare for it's arrival. Post hurricane, your home might be gone, structures destroyed, and no electricity.

Now with COVID-19, everything is still sort of intact but the feeling is worse than experiencing a hurricane cause it's not an isolated case.

But unlike a hurricane covid's impact is not immediately viewable.
With a hurricane, we watch it arrive - and we see the very real physical damage afterwards.
So, when we do what we do in preparation for one - we know why because we can see why.
Visuals are very important.
With this covid response it's different.
There's nothing to see.
Spring is arriving, and the outdoors are looking more lovely but we are radically altering our entire lifestyle hiding from the unseen, and the unknown.
I completely grasp the objective of reducing the peak of the wave so as to not over burden our hospital equipment and staff, which would lead to more deaths.
I'm doing my part and have my concerns.
Yet there has been a nagging part at my core since day one which says this is nuts.

DisneyCane

Even if there are 10 times the confirmed cases in Florida, these are not "huge numbers." Florida has a population over 21 million. Even if there are 24,000 cases, that's still only 0.11% of the population. The deaths are infinitesimal in relation to the population.

This focus on "big numbers" is what has caused the panic and extreme reactions. We are having a bad flu season in the USA and 23,000 have died so far and there have been almost 400,000 hospitalizations for the flu and nobody bats an eye.

All of a sudden there are 50,000 confirmed CASES of COVID-19 and the world must stop and save every life possible. Even if there are really 500,000 cases including the mild or asymptomatic, 75% of that number has been hospitalized by the flu.

This is an overreaction driven by the worldwide media supported by health officials going on a power trip.

If this $2 trillion stimulus gets passed and you assume that 70% of the US population would have been infected without these extreme measures and the real mortality rate (taking into account the mild and asymptomatic cases that haven't been being confirmed) is 2.5 times the flu, it works out to approximately $3.5 million per life saved, a majority of which are elderly with limited remaining life span as it is. That's not taking into account the cost of the economic damage. How's that for a big number?

An honest question for people in the UK. Would your health system spend that much to save an 80 year old with another disease like cancer?

dizneycrazy09

Are you talking about how quickly they've been isolating, or about how many cases and deaths they've had. The coasts have had far more infections than flyover country.

I was referencing the seriousness with which the virus is being treated. There is a certain level of flippancy I've seen in flyover country.

Last edited:

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
There's not much Disney can really do to prepare.
Many more people get the flu each year and go into the parks infected whether they know it or not and in turn infect others and the flu is pretty deadly.
Also the key population of who has passed away from the virus is older men who already had pre existing conditions particularly respiratory conditions usually from smoking.
Did you avoid Disney during SARS or H1N1 or Zika or Ebola....? If so then avoid Disney now. If not then don't avoid Disney.
Use common sense and wash your hands etc.

Just to also share advice that was widely liked and approved -- early in the thread.

Shouldigo12

...Yet there has been a nagging part at my core since day one which says this is nuts.
I think that's a normal reaction. As has been mentioned, today's world isn't used to these long term changes to life. We're used to the hurricanes, tornadoes, and floodsthat we can usually see coming and usually have a clear end date. The aftermath may take awhile to deal with, but we know when the event itself is over. So it feels so... uncomfortable to have something going on where we're taking all these drastic measures, changing our way of living in a big way, and not even knowing when it's going to be over. I'm 100% for all of these measures, and I have moments where I can't quite believe this is happening either.

DisneyCane

Not trying to start an argument, but aren't they just sharing the misinformation provided by the Chinese Government, which was all they had to go on at that point?
That is true. However, by putting that out they sent a message that they believed the Chinese Government and endorsed it to the point of making a statement.

By putting that out there, it delayed any response by other Governments. If they suspected human to human transmission in the middle of January, perhaps worldwide governments would have put in travel restrictions, or at the minimum screening of passengers from China.

That misinformation that was endorsed by the WHO did far more to increase the spread than the WHO has done to fight the spread.

DisneyCane

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom