Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

orlandogal22

An interesting note on the loss of sense of smell/taste.

@MansionButler84 @durangojim - have you noticed that at all?

I had a bad - what I thought was a cold - back in early Jan. Mostly dry coughing...sometimes w/ slight wheezing. It lingered for weeks. I also had no aches and pains (as I always have w/ a cold, which I thought was odd) and no major fatigue. I work from home already, so I was able to continue working throughout. I also had some minor congestion.

Some time after I thought I beat it, I had off / on chills for no reason for about 2 weeks that I couldn't explain (this was now early Feb)

I completely loss my sense of smell during that time. I attributed it to what I thought was a cold.

Who knows what I had then? I bet this thing was around in the U.S. longer than just a few weeks ago.

The Mom

Premium Member
Question...what, exactly, does shelter in place mean? I know what it means for school kids during normal circumstances, but that's about the extent.

Stay home unless you absolutely must leave your home. In this case, it is done to limit passing infection from one person to another - the more you interact with others, the more chance that you will become infected, or pass your infection to another.

DisneyDebRob

Question...what, exactly, does shelter in place mean? I know what it means for school kids during normal circumstances, but that's about the extent.
I believe it’s exactly what they have been saying. Nonessential people are to stay at home. As @TheMom said earlier, there’s a lot of wiggle room in it though. If you need groceries or something they consider “essential’ it allows for that.

The Mom

Premium Member
I had a bad - what I thought was a cold - back in early Jan. Mostly dry coughing...sometimes w/ slight wheezing. It lingered for weeks. I also had no aches and pains (as I always have w/ a cold, which I thought was odd) and no major fatigue. I work from home already, so I was able to continue working throughout. I also had some minor congestion.

Some time after I thought I beat it, I had off / on chills for no reason for about 2 weeks that I couldn't explain (this was now early Feb)

I completely loss my sense of smell during that time. I attributed it to what I thought was a cold.

Who knows what I had then? I bet this thing was around in the U.S. longer than just a few weeks ago.

I think you may be right.

Kamikaze

the first ones to go are always entertainment and jobs like painters and such. Roles like F&B and Merchandise along with Resort roles are likely safe, hours will be cut though. I think Disney was just expecting a 2-3 week quarantine and not something that’ll last months. So who knows

Disney knows how long Shanghai and TDL have been closed. (HKDL is different because of the rest of everything going on there.) They were most certainly not only expecting 2-3 weeks.

Brooklin Disney Dad

For starters, I'm a hypochondriac who lives and works in NYC. Already, we're off to a good start (and I fit the stereotype). Even with every precaution, even with assurances in print that there are no confirmed cases in the city, I'm getting a little worse for wear with each passing day. This is also crimping my desire to travel. Especially to metropolitan areas (which strike me as obviously a little more prone to spreading the virus). And if I had a trip coming up for Disney, I wonder if I'd think twice. In NYC alone, Chinatown is suffering, taxis aren't picking up asian passengers/passengers aren't stepping into taxis with asian drivers, restaurants are beginning to struggle, tourism is suffering due to the lack of international visitors.

Life is a roll of the dice. Anything can happen. Violence, accidents, transportation mishaps. But I'm wondering when (not if) the coronavirus is going to hit to the point that it affects travel and, more specifically, WDW. Does Disney have plans in place beyond limiting hours and laying off performers?
This is everywhere! Giving an excuse like golf courses being open doesn’t help stop the spread. Everyone is affected by this. I am sure every business including Disney has a plan in place for when this world becomes safe again. Patience and discipline is needed by all. Stay isolated from others. The happiest place on earth will always be there.

21stamps

According to my governor, he is just asking people to just Do you things like go for hikes, go to parks, do your grocery shopping when need be, el But don’t go to gatherings. He’s really trying to remain as sensible and cautious as possible. He is not asking everyone to lock them selves inside their homes....Just spend a lot more time there than usual. ;)

skiir97

I've been chatting with some people in my running community and we are all starting to agree that the entire running season is likely going to get thrown out.

We don't see how big events like the Boston Marathon will run in September. Even if the US gets the pandemic under control, how do you justify letting millions of people gather together so soon after without a vaccine? That's just asking for a second wave....especially if international travel is allowed by then.

Kinda makes you think how Disney might be closed for a long time in order to prevent a second wave.

ImperfectPixie

Stay home unless you absolutely must leave your home. In this case, it is done to limit passing infection from one person to another - the more you interact with others, the more chance that you will become infected, or pass your infection to another.
I believe it’s exactly what they have been saying. Nonessential people are to stay at home. As @TheMom said earlier, there’s a lot of wiggle room in it though. If you need groceries or something they consider “essential’ it allows for that.
More or less, stay in your home unless you need to go out for an essential service (such as grocery shopping).

Also, going outside to exercise is allowed (such as a run/jog).
Thank you. The getting groceries part is what I was trying to find out. With the stores being emptied as quickly as they're restocked, I can't stock up even if I wanted to. (We've got a week's worth of extra dried/canned good we bought two/three weeks ago, but that won't last long.) The good news is that we've basically already been doing that for a week.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member

It's funny you say that. I watched an interview with a Dr a few days back. I think on CNBC (not sure). Basically he shared a story of a lot of people going in with Flu like symptoms back in Nov/Dec. Fever, coughing, etc. He said that even though they had all the symptoms, they didn't test positive for the flu. He said he was at somewhat of a loss for an explanation. Prescribed some antibiotics and sent them on their way. I have a feeling this has been around a bit more than we think it has.

The Mom

Premium Member
According to my governor, he is just asking people to just Do you things like go for hikes, go to parks, do your grocery shopping when need be, el But don’t go to gatherings. He’s really trying to remain as sensible and cautious as possible. He is not asking everyone to lock them selves inside their homes....Just spend a lot more time there than usual. ;)

They had to close malls and shopping centers because too many people were gathering there when schools closed. Buying new clothes, furniture, etc isn't essential.

21stamps

Exactly. Every business by reading that could make a rationalization "Hey, we're essential"

There are people in Ohio who are flooding social media to the governor, criticizing him for not closing fast food places and carry out restaurants. Saying things like people should order food online and then cook at home.

I strongly disagree with them. We have doctors and nurses and so many other people who are still working a lot of hours, they don’t have time to go home and cook a full meal every night. I think everyone is looking at this from different angles, so much of it depending on what their current situation is.

skiir97

DisneyDebRob

This is everywhere! Giving an excuse like golf courses being open doesn’t help stop the spread. Everyone is affected by this. I am sure every business including Disney has a plan in place for when this world becomes safe again. Patience and discipline is needed by all. Stay isolated from others. The happiest place on earth will always be there.
Didn’t realize golfing was essential. And I’m a golfer. My dad called and said he was thinking of going out to golf. I think he knew it was a bad idea and was just trying to get my opinion. He got it and said he’s not going. He’s a smart guy and is staying home and being careful but even the smart people when presented with something they really enjoy, wonder about how harmful that certain thing will be.

Incomudro

This is normal behavior for me anyway.
I do go out for bike rides on a bike trail though, or go fishing (weather permitting) - which I'll continue to do as log as those areas remain devoid of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom