What kind of discounts will we expect starting Mid July?

disney4life2008

I saw a Las Vegas commercial saying for people to come back when they are ready. Maybe they will cut their prices at the hotels.

I suspect Disney will initially have deep discounts. But the reality, once they start taking reservations again, people will return.

TrainsOfDisney

I suspect Disney will initially have deep discounts. But the reality, once they start taking reservations again, people will return.

Unless all of the worlds governments invest a crazy amount of money into the economy when this is all over.... you won’t see the parks truly crowded for a while. Some people will come, and Disney knows how to get them to stay on property with discounts etc.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I see repeated references to “if they open it...people will come”

Some will...I would when the time is appropriate...we all will need it. But even that is gonna be weird. If this thing doesn’t turn around and fast...you will see people breaking down and weeping infront of Cindy’s or Spaceship Earth...because “loss” could be huge for a larger swath of the population that probably since WW2.

But as to people just showing up...there’s a key element being glossed over by disneyphiles here:

“It’s the economy, stupid!”

The idea that the shop reopens and everyone goes back to work in 2 or more months is beyond naive.

TrainsOfDisney

The idea that the shop reopens and everyone goes back to work in 2 or more months is beyond naive.

Exactly. So many people are in denial.

When MK reopens everything will be reduced. Whole restaurants won’t reopen and those that do will have limited staffing.

Shows like tiki room will have limited hours.

They can cut fireworks and parades if they want in the name of “crowds” but it would actually be a budget decision most likely.

It won’t be the same for a while. But on the plus side, the crowds will be lighter, and the room discounts will be nice.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Exactly. So many people are in denial.

When MK reopens everything will be reduced. Whole restaurants won’t reopen and those that do will have limited staffing.

Shows like tiki room will have limited hours.

They can cut fireworks and parades if they want in the name of “crowds” but it would actually be a budget decision most likely.

It won’t be the same for a while. But on the plus side, the crowds will be lighter, and the room discounts will be nice.
I agree...

But I meant shops across the world that would have been shuttered and crushing income, savings, debt and credit for a longer period than any in modern history.

Disney will discount but there’s no “bankruptcy promo” that will allow the full Disney market to return.

The economic difference here is pretty stark: there are Wars...and disasters...and famines...
But never was help rejected in production, distribution or sales due to the potential for those people to be infected and potentially be killed by a silent killer.

Maybe 1918-19 is a close example? But how different is it now? Or many bubonic before that? 700-800 years ago?

Jeez...we have no clue when or if “normal” returns. Two problems here with a huge consequence...not one.

skiir97

A lot of people are saying things along the lines of "I don't know if the economy or our lifestyles will ever return to normal".

These are the same things that were said after 9/11, and the '08 crash. We will return to "normal", just no one knows how soon. The economy has it's ups and downs....that's just how it is....we can never "only go up".

I think the internet and media have played a large role in all this pessimistic outlook. The internet in 2001 and 2008 wasn't as influential as it is today. It's easier than ever for strangers from all over the world to talk to each other and influence each others opinions....let alone how easy it is to find information (fake or not...) on the internet compared to 2001 and 2008.

JIMINYCR

If this continues on for an extended time, with huge numbers of people out of work, limited income coming in if any, spending their savings accounts dry, looking to get back on their feet when its over.... I'm expecting even with the best discounts people will opt to stay home until they regain confidence that they can risk more expenditures and determine if even a Disney trip is worth it. If our trip is cancelled we are reconsidering if that return of money would be better off staying with us, bite the bullet and say, lets put of a Disney trip for another couple of years.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
If this continues on for an extended time, with huge numbers of people out of work, limited income coming in if any, spending their savings accounts dry, looking to get back on their feet when its over.... I'm expecting even with the best discounts people will opt to stay home until they regain confidence that they can risk more expenditures and determine if even a Disney trip is worth it. If our trip is cancelled we are reconsidering if that return of money would be better off staying with us, bite the bullet and say, lets put of a Disney trip for another couple of years.

That's why I find the predictions of months of shutdown unrealistic. After two weeks of lock down I think you'll begin to see the breakdown of social stability within many, not being able to go out, shop, earn income, pay bills, etc. Even the most generous of proposed government assistance plans aren't enough for the majority of people affected.

I know this is happening because you can already see it in pundit class beginning to talk about if we are doing more damage to society by locking everyone down than if we just let the virus play its course. I don't know what to expect and I don't want to sound cruel, but I can tell you that the longer this goes on, it will do more damage to people and families than to those who may get or be affected by this virus.

juniorthomas

They've already extended the Sun & Fun room discount into the Summer. Making up lost money is a driving factor, the goal is to eliminate the optics of mostly empty resorts. I imagine those discounts, as well as dining plans, will accelerate as we approach and get into the Summer.

wdwfan22

Those were predetermined and coded into the system weeks if not months ago...

“Response” actions are still TBD

Will see. I personally don’t see anything greater than 25 to 30% off. People can’t stay home now. Once the all clear is given it will be Business as usual

DisneyJoe

They've already extended the Sun & Fun room discount into the Summer. Making up lost money is a driving factor, the goal is to eliminate the optics of mostly empty resorts. I imagine those discounts, as well as dining plans, will accelerate as we approach and get into the Summer.
Yes, thru Sun and Fun extended thru Aug 31.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Will see. I personally don’t see anything greater than 25 to 30% off. People can’t stay home now. Once the all clear is given it will be Business as usual
The percentage discount will not go greater than the percentages advertised, but expect more room inventory available with the discounted rates.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
No way to know right now for sure...

...just like I’m not certain you’re delusional...but pretty sure.
They will get the parks open as soon as possible if not sooner, but that doesn't mean the experience will be the same as it was before the shutdown. If you though you weren't getting your money's worth before, you will probably get less when it opens, even though you will be paying less for it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They will get the parks open as soon as possible if not sooner, but that doesn't mean the experience will be the same as it was before the shutdown. If you though you weren't getting your money's worth before, you will probably get less when it opens, even though you will be paying less for it.

It’s hard to predict what will happen. I think it’s highly unlikely they won’t have to kiss Supreme butt to fill the place at best. But there are too many variables outside of Disney right now to even make a prediction really.

I don’t think “half open” or low staff is something they can even begin to fathom at this point.

Club Cooloholic

A lot of people are saying things along the lines of "I don't know if the economy or our lifestyles will ever return to normal".

These are the same things that were said after 9/11, and the '08 crash. We will return to "normal", just no one knows how soon. The economy has it's ups and downs....that's just how it is....we can never "only go up".

I think the internet and media have played a large role in all this pessimistic outlook. The internet in 2001 and 2008 wasn't as influential as it is today. It's easier than ever for strangers from all over the world to talk to each other and influence each others opinions....let alone how easy it is to find information (fake or not...) on the internet compared to 2001 and 2008.
Why do you think it was hard to interact on the internet in 2008?
I agree I think the economy will rebound( and quickly) but the fact that we still don't know how long this will last IS the problem, not the media. That uncertainty creates volatility in the market, every time the President holds a Press Briefing(can he stop) effects the markets. Two Fridays ago while he was talking the markets improved something like 4%. A good time to sell was then because by Monday they took a historic drop and his tone on the situation had taken a 180.
People who don't know when their next paycheck is coming are is creating volatility...those people, investors and work force will probably think twice about booking a $80 dessert party.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom