Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

Mike S

For sure - I just sort of wonder why. It clearly doesn't seem to have worked out for them the way they'd hoped, but even from when it was announced it seemed like GE was an odd fit for Disneyland.

They must have thought demand was going to be so high that one land on one coast couldn't possibly be enough . . . ?
We all definitely thought so. I even thought the demand would be so big both lands would have to open on the same day so no one park would be swamped with demand. I was expecting Hogsmeade level turn out for this. The staggered opening of Rise didn’t help things and other factors likely played in as well.

UNCgolf

I was expecting Hogsmeade level turn out for this.

I think it would have had to be OT timeline and possibly even set on Tatooine (Mos Eisley cantina, Jabba's Palace) for it to have turned out that way.

That doesn't mean Disney made a mistake setting it in the ST timeline on a newly created planet; that could be the better long-term decision. I just think OT timeline would have attracted more of the absolute diehard fans for the opening days, for better or worse.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
I think it would have had to be OT timeline and possibly even set on Tatooine (Mos Eisley cantina, Jabba's Palace) for it to have turned out that way.

Doubt it. The parks attendance was down overall. Wouldn’t have made a difference what time and setting they chose for the land. Except for the handful of nerds that came during opening anyway.

UNCgolf

Doubt it. The parks attendance was down overall. Wouldn’t have made a difference what time and setting they chose for the land. Except for the handful of nerds that came during opening anyway.

I think the absolutely die-hard crazy fans that spend tons of time trashing the ST are exactly the same people who would have done everything they could to show up opening day to visit Tatooine or some other OT location. Instead of a handful of nerds, it would have been thousands of them. I'm honestly surprised anyone thinks differently.

It's irrelevant overall, though, because crowds (or lack thereof) at opening don't matter in the long run.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
I think the absolutely die-hard crazy fans that spend tons of time trashing the ST are exactly the same people who would have done everything they could to show up opening day to visit Tatooine or some other OT location. Instead of a handful of nerds, it would have been thousands of them. I'm honestly surprised anyone thinks differently

This sounds an awful like the ramp guy. Never go full ramp guy.

rowrbazzle

I think the absolutely die-hard crazy fans that spend tons of time trashing the ST are exactly the same people who would have done everything they could to show up opening day to visit Tatooine or some other OT location. Instead of a handful of nerds, it would have been thousands of them. I'm honestly surprised anyone thinks differently.

It's irrelevant overall, though, because crowds (or lack thereof) at opening don't matter in the long run.

I think if it became a glorified fan convention or just a place to enjoy the nostalgia of the original movies, it would have been short-lived. I'm Star Wars neutral (some I like; some I don't) and had no interest in that. What they promised sounded awesome, though. I think the bigger problem is that they failed to deliver on that promise.

dreamfinder

Obviously the ride is closed, but do any insiders know if they are continuing to run, test, and debug the ride?

Can it be done while observing social distancing, no more than 10 people in a gathering, etc? If Disney is still paying you, especially any salaried employees like Imagineering, I suspect they would still try to get work out of them. OPs CMs, or external consultants are a horse of a different color.

djkidkaz

From my understanding the idea is to have the fewest amount of people in the park as possible. Nothing about this situation is being used as "free time" to work on rides or other park issues. The whole deal is get everyone out and to their homes besides the handful of people that are needed even with an empty park ( i.e. Security ).

UNCgolf

I think if it became a glorified fan convention or just a place to enjoy the nostalgia of the original movies, it would have been short-lived. I'm Star Wars neutral (some I like; some I don't) and had no interest in that. What they promised sounded awesome, though. I think the bigger problem is that they failed to deliver on that promise.

Yeah, that's what I said in my original post. Setting it on a new planet in the ST timeline could easily be the better long-term strategy (although I think it would have been better to just make it a Star Wars land in general and not bother with specific timelines).

My point about the OT was only a specific response to the lower than expected opening crowds. Not having Rise of the Resistance was obviously a major part of it too, but I'm pretty sure it would have been packed if those super hardcore SW fans would have had the chance to go inside the Mos Eisley cantina or some other similar location.

Purduevian

From my understanding the idea is to have the fewest amount of people in the park as possible. Nothing about this situation is being used as "free time" to work on rides or other park issues. The whole deal is get everyone out and to their homes besides the handful of people that are needed even with an empty park ( i.e. Security ).

It's pretty clear from recent photos that construction crews are still there working.

TrainsOfDisney

although I think it would have been better to just make it a Star Wars land in general and not bother with specific timelines

I agree. Theme parks have always taken lots of liberties with timelines. Nobody cares at what point in the story Jurassic Park is in... it’s fun. Details matter, yes. You shouldn’t create things that clash. Having 1 attraction with both Darth Vader and Kylo wouldn’t work, but you could have both of them featured in a Star Wars land.

TrainsOfDisney

How exactly is believing the opening would have been busier with an iconic location an obsession? That's just simple logic.

You are using complete sentences and he replies with memes. Just ignore.

I don’t personally understand how people can defend Galaxies Edge as it is now. I would love to know why the imagineers designed things the way they did and what was originally planned to fill in the gaps. The marketplace and falcon area are well done and impressive. Then it feels like they ran out of budget and / or ideas.

The area around the x-Wing doesn’t feel particularly special.... what’s that area supposed to be. The stormtroopers landed here and redecorated?

The resistance area is even worse.... “let’s just plant lots of trees and put up a few plastic airplanes.... that’ll work”

RobWDW1971

You are using complete sentences and he replies with memes. Just ignore.

I don’t personally understand how people can defend Galaxies Edge as it is now. I would love to know why the imagineers designed things the way they did and what was originally planned to fill in the gaps. The marketplace and falcon area are well done and impressive. Then it feels like they ran out of budget and / or ideas.

The area around the x-Wing doesn’t feel particularly special.... what’s that area supposed to be. The stormtroopers landed here and redecorated?

The resistance area is even worse.... “let’s just plant lots of trees and put up a few plastic airplanes.... that’ll work”
I would have just liked to have experienced the pure joy and wonder of when I walked into the Star Tours queue for the first time back in 1986. I find myself really pushing myself to be interested in anything in Batuu. ROTR once on the ride is great, the cantina is OK, and getting that first picture in front of the Falcon set piece is cool, but after that it is a looooooooot of beige rock and static buildings, closed doors to nowhere, and somebody named Vi walking around.

UNCgolf

So you didn't actually read anything I wrote? That's the only way your responses makes any sense; you've either created a fake argument in your head or you think you're arguing with some completely different person who said things I didn't say.

Just to spell it out for you once last time, even though I very specifically mentioned this multiple times -- I am only talking about opening. It was a specific response to a specific comment. An OT setting with a location like the Mos Eisley cantina would have almost certainly had a bigger opening, because those are exactly the crazy fans that would have moved mountains to be there. I'm not sure why the mere suggestion of that seems to upset you so much or how it's remotely controversial.

It has nothing to do with Galaxy's Edge as a whole. Setting it on a newly created planet in the ST could easily be the best long-term strategy for the parks, which is the only thing that matters. The crowd size at opening is totally irrelevant now.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom