Is it greedy to hope there will be major discounts coming out due to the current situation?

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Going August 24-29 and opted to not book when the room rate discount was available in hopes a better deal would come along.
Now with the current situation I'm feeling like there will be discounts and maybe even better ones than they planned on because they are currently losing a lot of revenue and may need to entice people to not be scared of going.
Am I just awful for hoping this?

Club Cooloholic

Going August 24-29 and opted to not book when the room rate discount was available in hopes a better deal would come along.
Now with the current situation I'm feeling like there will be discounts and maybe even better ones than they planned on because they are currently losing a lot of revenue and may need to entice people to not be scared of going.
Am I just awful for hoping this?
You can always book a room at the best discount rate and rebook later if something in ng better comes along just don't book a package.
I will say this, a lot of people hot burned for their spring break trips, I am assuming they will have special offers for them. Deals will happen if people become afraid to travel. I think in a month things will normalize, but that's just me.

Upvote 0

G00fyDad

It is not greedy. No more than Disney raising prices twice a year to the point that many do not get a chance to go. So no. Hope all you want. But Disney being Disney, I doubt it will happen.

Upvote 0

CLEtoWDW

Boy all of you seem to forget post 9/11 Disney. Disney had to practically beg people to get on airplanes and come back to WDW. Rates were 40-70% lower than that were in 2000 and attendance very slowly creeped back up.
Now that was an unprecedented event that led up to that pricing so I suppose it depends how bad this virus outbreak gets. If it’s not as bad as what the “experts” are predicting then probably no deep discounts are coming.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

Boy all of you seem to forget post 9/11 Disney. Disney had to practically beg people to get on airplanes and come back to WDW. Rates were 40-70% lower than that were in 2000 and attendance very slowly creeped back up.
Now that was an unprecedented event that led up to that pricing so I suppose it depends how bad this virus outbreak gets. If it’s not as bad as what the “experts” are predicting then probably no deep discounts are coming.
Yes, and they did that by using deep discounts, many of them and they were deep, I agree, but rack room rates were not lowered, just many discounts were offered. I even double checked a few websites in the internet archive before posting this. I know it is a minor point, but it's an important one. Room rates will not go down, but discounts will be offered and will be deep.

Upvote 0

CLEtoWDW

Yes, and they did that by using deep discounts, many of them and they were deep, I agree, but rack room rates were not lowered, just many discounts were offered. I even double checked a few websites in the internet archive before posting this. I know it is a minor point, but it's an important one. Room rates will not go down, but discounts will be offered and will be deep.
Ahhh I see. I misread the original post. Yes, rack rates remain the same but discounts are the huge variable. My bad.

Upvote 0

Shouldigo12

I think it just depends on how concerned you are about it, if that makes sense. I'm pretty sure we've all thought about what effect this will have on prices, but there's a difference between thinking of the silver lining of a cheaper vacation and being happy this happened and excited to see lower rates.

In essence, as long as you're not clapping your hands in Glee at this potentially lowering prices I don't think anyone can describe you as guilty.

Upvote 0

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I already have my money saved and was about to book. The recession will have no bearing on whether I go or not but the shut down is. The rebooking also may be a factor.

That is you, but that won't be the case for everyone. Even if people have the money saved, they may decide to not use it on a trip depending on how bad their financial situation becomes.

Upvote 0

COrunner

Here are some factors which I can see leading to potential discounts:

1. Length of time the parks are closed.
2. Markets and economy response.
3. What, if any, our 'new normal' becomes.

Looking at the first one, the longer the parks are closed, the more revenue Disney will attempt to make up AND the more pent up fans and trip goers alike will be to go to the parks (I don't necessarily see discounts in that scenario) but maybe it is too textbook supply/demand thinking.

Second one, if the markets don't rebound, stimulus is out but there is a global recession/slow down then anyone as others have stated above may decided to hold whatever money they have and not take a trip. In this situation the discounts are there to entice people to go to the parks.

Finally, what if our new normal is social distancing? Does Disney have to limit capacity, queues, whatever? If that is the case then again I don't see it being a huge discount issue as they will be trying to make the money up somewhere else.

Upvote 0

WWWD

We took advantage of the situation last week when we were there. A couple of times we have bought annual passes when 2 years of the kids‘ school’s spring break lined up to be less than 365 days apart (thus two trips under the AP). This year spring break was the second week of March and next year it is scheduled for the third week, so an AP wouldn’t have worked. So we bought a 7 day park hopper. Well the last few days of our trip they announced the parks closure and that they would extend the APs. As most know you can upgrade your tickets anytime while your current tickets are still valid and just pay the difference. We upgraded to AP’s with them valid through March of next year or until the parks reopen. So we’ll save substantial on next year’s trip as we now have APs.

On a side note, we were at MK when it shut down. The Park was packed with many CP students crying and saying goodbye to each other. Also, several characters were on the train station waving goodby. There was quite the crowd at the exit as no one wanted to leave.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom