Magic Kingdom 50th Anniversary Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTA94

I do hope I’m wrong but gut feeling tells me the corona virus will kill the 50th. I would imagine the closure of the parks will have significant impacts for quite some time. IF the parks reopen as planned in April then maaaybe not to much damage will occur that will trail into 2021, but if a extended closure happens, we are in trouble.

jrhwdw

I do hope I’m wrong but gut feeling tells me the corona virus will kill the 50th. I would imagine the closure of the parks will have significant impacts for quite some time. IF the parks reopen as planned in April then maaaybe not to much damage will occur that will trail into 2021, but if a extended closure happens, we are in trouble.
For our insiders, is the 50th budget already approved? if it is it might be fine. Plus this might be a good thing?? I'm guessing that marketing will go into overdrive to get guests back to WDW/Orlando after all this . So maybe TDO will add more to the 50th and Market it more than they were planning????

Another thing to watch for is MSEP was DL's answser in 2017 and after SWGE. and PTN was in rumors for summer before this week.. Should be intresting to see if those 2 parades are still sitting backstage or if more is cut after all this.

seascape

I don't want to see the 50th anniversary party cut back either. However, I believe it is more important to take care of the Cast Members, their families and the entire community of greater Orlando. If the parks have to stay closed for more than this 2 weeks something has to give. Movie theaters and Studios are losing billions in revenue and so are the parks. We all care but no one should put ourvfun and Entertainment over the health and wellbeing of the Cast Members who provide us with such satisfaction.

jrhwdw

Disney should just start the 50th this year whenever the parks reopen. Give the people something to make them happy for a while.
We don't even know what's planned for the 50th so I think it would be tough to get something up and running shortly after reopening.

jrhwdw

I don't want to see the 50th anniversary party cut back either. However, I believe it is more important to take care of the Cast Members, their families and the entire community of greater Orlando. If the parks have to stay closed for more than this 2 weeks something has to give. Movie theaters and Studios are losing billions in revenue and so are the parks. We all care but no one should put ourvfun and Entertainment over the health and wellbeing of the Cast Members who provide us with such satisfaction.
I agree and I don't think TDO would open too early to save the 50th. However the 50th will still be on our minds after this is all over.

Disney Lover Addie

I was mostly talking about the castle overlay, decorations, cupcakes, etc. The big stuff like rides, parade, fireworks could come at a later date.

But there could be some people that go and expect everything to be done for the anniversary. Even though Disney loves their phases, i don’t think they’ll do phases for an anniversary, especially if it’s not the year yet.

jrhwdw

Lol! You joke but I could see them rolling just the dragon down Main Street and back mi si style!!! All bets are off at this point.
After the 2011 earthquake in Japan, TDL took about a month to get all their entertainment up and running.(Fireworks were canceld but it was just old school FITS Syle. IDK if that was a selling point for TDR guests) F! opened on time or a week late. As for Parades: Easter opened first. Then Jub. about a half a week later. Dreamlights waited about 1.5 to 2 weeks?? Then went to a planned refresh and Nightfall Glow opened and played the whole Dreamlights referb. Some Shows did have some days off but nothing too alarming. I would like to think at least FOF and HEA wouldn't have a delay. I rather have MISI in trouble than MRFF! Even though this is the best MISI version IMO.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

After the 2011 earthquake in Japan, TDL took about a month to get all their entertaninment up and running. Some Shows did have some days off but nothing too alarming. I would like to think at least FOF and HEA wouldn't have a delay. I rather have MISI in trouble than MRFF! Even though this is the best MISI version IMO.

I would hope FOF would still run even with a refuced cast... like just the floats and main characters. Same with HEA but with reduced pyro.

But there is simply no way to guess at this point. There is nothing to compare this to. Earthquake in Japan would be the closest comparison, but that only affected the economy of Japan. This is global.

MadTeacup

We can thank the corona virus for destroying any hope of a brand new nighttime parade for MK.
Not sure if it was coming either way, but yeah. My guess is that Covid-19 has pretty much destroyed any budget for the 50th anniversary celebration at this point. I'm still keeping my naive little fingers crossed in case of a miracle, though.
After the 2011 earthquake in Japan, TDL took about a month to get all their entertainment up and running.(Fireworks were canceld but it was just old school FITS Syle. IDK if that was a selling point for TDR guests) F! opened on time or a week late. As for Parades: Easter opened first. Then Jub. about a half a week later. Dreamlights waited about 1.5 to 2 weeks?? Then went to a planned refresh and Nightfall Glow opened and played the whole Dreamlights referb. Some Shows did have some days off but nothing too alarming. I would like to think at least FOF and HEA wouldn't have a delay. I rather have MISI in trouble than MRFF! Even though this is the best MISI version IMO.
I expect all Magic Kingdom shows to be fully staffed from day one. There will likely be no elements cut besides the pyro for some MRFF shows which I believe is at least partially discontinued for the castle repainting. Keep in mind that most performers in parades and shows are full-time, hourly workers and they need to be scheduled a minimum amount of hours. There would be no advantage to cutting roles since entertainment is already struggling to find shifts with enough hours for their CMs. If anything is phased, it will likely be the opening of parks and resorts with Magic Kingdom Park and the Monorail line Resorts opening first, followed shortly by (or coinciding with) Studios. Training enough CMs to fully staff the parks (especially the international staff at EPCOT) is going to take some time and will likely not allow every park to open at once - then again, stranger things have happened.

TTA94

If parades and fireworks do get axed for awhile, Knowing WDW they will try and be slick and not return Festival of Fantasy and HEA until the 50th, summer or fall 2021, making a announcement that these entertainment offerings will be back in time for MKs 50th Anniversary.

jrhwdw

If parades and fireworks do get axed for awhile, Knowing WDW they will try and be slick and not return Festival of Fantasy and HEA until the 50th, summer or fall 2021, making a announcement that these entertainment offerings will be back in time for MKs 50th Anniversary.
IDK, I'm starting to think that maybe MK shouldn't be given a pass! Maybe we should expect a 50th! They have the money, or did all the 50th money go other parts of the company that are not Parks?!?!?!

I would support FOF/HEA being delayed a week or a month after reopen(if there's no other way) but not till OCT 2021! Doesn't WSL need a Nighttime Spectacular for dinner? That's the reason we got EF after ROE correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom