College Program Help

Dukeblue1227

Original Poster
Not sure if this is already being discussed elsewhere or other things already in place, but I’m seeing so much on social media of college students in help and desperate right now. The hashtag #CPHelp has a lot of students scared right now. (I searched this site and didn’t see any results for that).

I feel like we should try to find a way to help support them, I don’t know if there’s a way or means to setup some kind of gofundme or other avenue. Also getting verification of those actually in the College Program could be hard and having to navigate possible people trying to scam. But I just feel like there needs to be something done to help. A possible single place where people could donate and then funds could be divided up or something.

Please chime in if something else similar is already in place or if anyone has other ideas. Let’s not turn this into “Disney should be doing more” or anything negative please - if something else already in place let’s delete this and promote that. Just trying to find the best way possible to help. I wouldn’t have the first idea how to start something so hoping someone else can do it and we can all do our part to try and spread the message.

Kobe!!

As tragic as this is and as a former CP myself, if you were fired for underage drinking you would need to pick up and leave regardless. I'm not sure how / why we need to help them. With all due respect, obviously...

I get it, the international situation is a little different and sucks but I feel some people could and would take total advantage of this right now.

Shouldigo12

As tragic as this is and as a former CP myself, if you were fired for underage drinking you would need to pick up and leave regardless. I'm not sure how / why we need to help them. With all due respect, obviously...

I get it, the international situation is a little different and sucks but I feel some people could and would take total advantage of this right now.
I'm confused, where did you see anything about underage drinking?

1) We went to the Facebook Cast Member page (where CPs and ICPs also hang out) and offered a room.
2) Up to three people for a few days, until they can arrange travel home.
3) FREE room & board, internet, WiFi, spare computer solely for their use.
4) Due to a shared room, all CPs or ICPs have to be same sex.

NOTE: We have no idea why WDW would summarily kick CPs and ICPs out of the housing. The buildings are there and not costing Disney that much to keep them open and offer good public relations.

Does any one know what Disney is doing or not doing for these displaced international college students that must return home

1) They told CPs and ICPs to GET OUT of housing by 11:00am Wednesday.
2) That is it (in my opinion, pretty rude)!
3) For ICPs, they said they would work with them on an individual basis "as needed".
4) Om the Cast Member Facebook site, we are offering up to three CP/ICP FREE housing at our house.
. . . a few days while available why they try to arrange transport home
. . . room & board
. . . use of our spare computer use 24/7
. . . WiFi
. . . community pool use
. . . USA-Mexico-Canada phone service

Last edited:

Kobe!!

I'm confused, where did you see anything about underage drinking?
I didn't see anything, I am giving a example. Also, just to clarify, I am not picking a side in this manor. Just saying that kicking them out should not be a big of a deal as some are making it out to be. One last thing to note is the CP buildings / apartments themselves do not go over 250 people so Disney should not kick them out per say... but since most of the other CM's are in the union they can not do anything with those roles getting fired, ferlo, etc so yes, it does need to start at the bottom with the CP's.
1) We went to the Facebook Cast Member page (where CPs and ICPs also hang out) and offered a room.
2) Up to three people for a few days, until they can arrange travel home.
3) FREE room & board, internet, WiFi, spare computer solely for their use.
4) Due to a shared room, all CPs or ICPs have to be same sex.

NOTE: We have no idea why WDW would summarily kick CPs and ICPs out of the housing. The buildings are there and not costing Disney that much to keep them open and offer good public relations.
I kinda answered this (IMO) above. Disney is making budget cuts and it's going to start with the CP's and part time people first. If you are in a union you are at least protected, somewhat.

IDisney is making budget cuts and it's going to start with the CP's and part time people first. If you are in a union you are at least protected, somewhat.

1) Not that well protected.
2) The unions at WDW are terribly weak and have no real power or influence.
. . . the only power a union has is a strike
. . . a strike at WDW is impossible, as too many need the money and ill cross the picket line
. . . plus, there are too many people they can deploy (move around) to cover
. . . bus drivers were set to strike several years ago, and Disney found out
. . . WDW called MEARS and had over three-hundred drivers waiting at Contemporary to fill-in
. . . union and drivers calld off the attemp
3) Disney was going to pay people who were "SCHEDULED" to work
4) Yesterday they cancelled all schedules and said to watch Tuesay for new schedules (they usually come out Sunday)

nickys

Premium Member
Does any one know what Disney is doing or not doing for these displaced international college students that must return home

There are two different groups of International students at Disney.

The Cultural Representative Programme students are being allowed to stay for now. They are the ones that are there for a year.

I think the International Exchange students (from other DIsney parks) are included in the programmes being terminated.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney did cancel some of the advanced internships in the days/weeks after 9/11. I worked with a great dude from Spain in Resorts at the time who was an advanced and they basically told him to leave one afternoon. Done. Luckily he was well off and got a flight home the next day.

Take that for what it’s worth. If I recall others had their extension requested denied and the CP inbound was reduced.

But I don’t believe there is a “safety net” for the CP or IPs. It’s a strict, no strings attached labor agreement with cancellation clause in the small print.

Last edited:

hanwill

They are all being told to leave based on my daughter who was a member of the CP- for 24 hours! They are all devastated. Some kids cannot go home due to flight restrictions in their countries, or someone at home is ill.... It was all a scramble yesterday to figure out what was all going on. They are still working through it. Luckily, I am seeing where some full timers were letting kids go so they could ride rides yesterday and today. They were even let into Hollywood Studios and allowed to ride ROTR with no boarding group. It was all very sudden. We think it is because the state told them that they had to get out of housing.... so they were forced to shut it down. I have no idea of numbers- but I saw about 9700 kids.

On a personal note- it was a very tough week for my daughter. She checked in on Monday, orientation on Friday, training Saturday AM, then told to leave Saturday afternoon. They have until Wednesday to get out of housing. It has been a terrible week to have something so exciting yanked out from under her. Yes, we understand the necessity, but its tough to watch your kid struggle, finally have something go right for her, only to see that dissolve sash starts it. I hope everyone stays safe and healthy!

NelleBelle

I would think other foreign exchange students in some places are also having to return home, unfortunately. I'm sure that disney is only following whatever guidelines are being set forth by the government with issue to housing and is at least giving more than 24-48hrs notice. I'm assuming that part of the mandate to return home for the ICP might have something visas??--if not they're not "working".

@hanwill, that is so sad for your daughter. Hopefully when things return to "normal", she'll be able to return (and all the CP/ICP kids).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I do feel bad for the kids (relatively speaking...they’re certainly old enough to do what they want) who are caught in this and being told to leave...

But here’s a hard to phrase question: is it right to have people come in over the last week from every corner of the country, congregate, and send them back??

Isn’t that contrary to all the emerging public health guidelines?
Doesn’t seem too safe.

Lora Baines Bradley

Thank you for this thread. I’m a CP and this news devastated me. I heard there’s a clause in our contract that says if we don’t work for 2 weeks we’re let go. Why they couldn’t deploy us somewhere to prevent that, i’m not sure, but either way, I don’t think Disney is opening anytime soon. The parks are BUSY for this time of year and there’s no way they’d cut so much of their labor like that if they were only closed for 2 weeks.

TP2000

Thank you for this thread. I’m a CP and this news devastated me. I heard there’s a clause in our contract that says if we don’t work for 2 weeks we’re let go. Why they couldn’t deploy us somewhere to prevent that, i’m not sure, but either way, I don’t think Disney is opening anytime soon. The parks are BUSY for this time of year and there’s no way they’d cut so much of their labor like that if they were only closed for 2 weeks.

It's a shame, but this news about the College Program being dissolved immediately is proof that WDW will not be reopening two weeks from now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom