Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I think there are two different types of mentalities right now regarding this virus.

1. Panicking over the logistical nightmare that has been dumped on so many. While at the same time not overly worried about the virus itself, and taking the recommended precautions.

2. Those who are in just full-blown panic mode over the virus. End of the world is here.

Both are panicking, but on different levels, and for different reasons.

3rd. People who no matter how much they want to. Can't impact anything. So we sit back and cope. Some with humor - others with a lack of it. But we cope. Each in our own way. But we don't panic.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
I wasn't that worried about my July 4 trip until reading through this thread more. I'm now now considering rebooking in January 2021 before DVC points expire but even that will be at/near peak flu season. I guess I'll see where we are in June.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I wasn't that worried about my July 4 trip until reading through this thread more. I'm now now considering rebooking in January 2021

I strongly suggest that everyone not even remotely consider going to Disney until at least 2021. There are way too many risks. This shouldn't even be a discussion. Everyone needs to avoid the parks for at least a year.

I don't want to see any of you when I check-in at Coronado in May.

21stamps

It has the potential (thats the important part) to be worse. 9/11 predominantly affected the US. This isn't a US issue, its a global one.

If we get through the next few weeks and realize that this virus is not as deadly as we think, Then for the most part we should be OK. People aren’t going to be scared to go out and spend money. Sure you will have the people who will isolate themselves for who knows how long, but it’s not gonna be enough to really have an impact.
If we all completely stop taking vacations or retail stores or doing a landscaping project that we were planning on doing this spring, then we will see more and more job loss, and this will indeed be terrible.

flynnibus

Premium Member
9/11 is ripple compared to the wake this thing will cause economically.

9/11 bolstered a ton of fed and defense industries while hurting alot of travel and entertainment industries. And 9/11 didn't cause most industry to goto 0%...

This is going to hurt EVERY industry and the number that will have their activity driven to 0 for a significant amount of time is unheard of since WWII. And in WWII, while things were shutdown, they were largely replaced with virtually unlimited contracting work for the government. Nothing is replacing the shutdown now... simply put economic activity is being turned off for huge swaths of the economy.

No matter how they chose to try to cover the gap... it will mean a huge hole somewhere. The government will likely turn to simply giving away money and just accept that the debt or devaluation is just the lesser of evils.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
9/11 is ripple compared to the wake this thing will cause economically.

9/11 bolstered a ton of fed and defense industries while hurting alot of travel and entertainment industries. And 9/11 didn't cause most industry to goto 0%...

This is going to hurt EVERY industry and the number that will have their activity driven to 0 for a significant amount of time is unheard of since WWII. And in WWII, while things were shutdown, they were largely replaced with virtually unlimited contracting work for the government. Nothing is replacing the shutdown now... simply put economic activity is being turned off for huge swaths of the economy.

No matter how they chose to try to cover the gap... it will mean a huge hole somewhere. The government will likely turn to simply giving away money and just accept that the debt or devaluation is just the lesser of evils.

I'm in the cruise industry....on the tech side......let me tell ya'

JoeCamel

I know people like to paint Disney as this heartless mega corporation, but I can't seem them going as far as kicking college students "out in into the cold" when it's completely in their power to do something about it.
Not like they are in the travel business or anything right??

Shouldigo12

None of us know what's going to happen. We don't know how long this is going to last, we don't know if we'll have to ramp up quarantine efforts, and we don't know how exactly this is going to effect the economy (in terms of a large or a small impact). In a way that might make some people even more nervous, but right now talking about how awful the economy will be and how screwed we're all are isn't going to accomplish anything but adding more panic into the fire.

flynnibus

Premium Member
In a way that might make some people even more nervous, but right now talking about how awful the economy will be and how screwed we're all are isn't going to accomplish anything but adding more panic into the fire.

Well, you can put blinders on if you want... but please spare us the suprise and zOMG moments when people start getting laid off.

The reason it's part of the discussion is because others were talking about how quickly crowds will return once the lockdown is over. Yeah uh... that belongs in fantasyland.

We had the market drop on FEAR of impact. What do you think the market is going to do when the actual COSTS of those impacts is revealed?

LittleBuford

If we get through the next few weeks and realize that this virus is not as deadly as we think, Then for the most part we should be OK.

The measures we’re seeing are to prevent the kind of disaster that's befallen Italy, where the healthcare system has been pushed to its limits by the sheer number of infections. The virus doesn't have to be especially deadly (and, thankfully, it isn't) to justify such a response

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Well, you can put blinders on if you want... but please spare us the suprise and zOMG moments when people start getting laid off.

The reason it's part of the discussion is because others were talking about how quickly crowds will return once the lockdown is over. Yeah uh... that belongs in fantasyland.

We had the market drop on FEAR of impact. What do you think the market is going to do when the actual COSTS of those impacts is revealed?

Shouldigo12

I didn't say it definitely won't happen. I said we shouldn't be saying it definitely will.

21stamps

The measures we’re seeing are to prevent the kind of disaster that's befallen Italy, where the healthcare system has been pushed to its limits by the sheer number of infections. The virus doesn't have to be especially deadly (and, thankfully, it isn't) to justify such a response

Let me reiterate, if we get through these next few weeks and see that this isn’t catastrophic, then we should return to normal sooner rather than later. Kids can go back to school, sports can resume, Vacations can move forward. I’ve seen more people washing their hands and using sanitizer lately than I have ever seen in my life. If that keeps up then it should limit the spread much more than what we’ve seen in the other countries.

thomas998

It works for the Army...
Yep.. I could see a problem in taking a maintenance guy and having him moved to a kitchen... but there are so many maintenance jobs that you don't need special training beyond a quick 5 minute talk to accomplish it isn't even funny... But I would guess the biggest reason they wouldn't do it is probably union contracts, or the potential lawsuit they might get hit with if one of the cooks fell off a ladder or something.

disneygeek90

I went to Walmart today and the canned good section were cleaned out. 6 aisles of good were completely empty as well as the toliet paper aisle. Sure it's alot of panicky people but you got to go with them or you yourself will have no food to eat.
I stopped at Target today for the necessities (Frozen 2 on blu ray and beer) and shelf after shelf were cleared out. Publix didn’t look anything like that on Thursday. I don’t know what shape they were in today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom