Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surferboy567

It's probably been said many times already but I hope this downtime gives Disney some extended time to fix whatever bugs that still linger in the ROTR attraction and it runs smoothly once everything gets back to normal.

Not sure how true this is...but Mickey Views has said that is the case.

Of course it’s a rumor. He’s far from a creditable source but has gotten things right.

JoeCamel

On what are you basing the bolded statement? There have been tons of people at the parks all week when the panic seems to be at its height. Stores are decimated. Ours don't even have any water (bottles, jugs....anything). My guess is there will be a crush of guests when they reopen. Only reason I could see that changing is if the infection numbers and/or financial repercussions become exponentially worse between now and then
I think after we see what happens in the next month we as a society will think twice before putting ourselves and families in large crowds for a long while. It will take time to ramp up. They have to reload the hotels and it takes time to rebook all those rooms.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
On what are you basing the bolded statement? There have been tons of people at the parks all week when the panic seems to be at its height. Stores are decimated. Ours don't even have any water (bottles, jugs....anything). My guess is there will be a crush of guests when they reopen.
Those people already had trips planned and many were already in town. March through the week after Easter is also traditionally much more busy than May (around when I assume they would re-open). Now that the parks are closed most people who aren’t local will need some time to plan a return trip. They won’t book flights until the park actually opens.

edit: also with kids most places missing substantial time from school parents are less likely to pull them out in May or June to go to WDW.

DCBaker

Premium Member

rnese

I'm right there with you. This is no time for pettiness or bickering over silly stuff like that, and this is the type of thing Trump was referencing when he referred to "politicizing the virus" being a hoax.
giphy.gif

TrainsOfDisney

That seems extreme...possible but I’m not sure.

2 weeks ago Disney world closing at all was “extreme” - I think June is best case scenario.

And let’s be honest, they don’t have to reopen all 4 parks. The parks have never been closed like this. Maybe they leave Epcot closed for a bit for example. (Saying that based on sending all the international cast home and so much of the park is under construction anyway.)

gmajew

Premium Member
Let's just get on with it already. Psychology in play here. By closing (Disney, Uni, Cruise Lines, International Travel etc) - it no longer makes the news.

Then when they open, the thought process changes: "Hey look there are people at Disney now, people at Uni, people boarding a cruise."

Let it all shut down.....so we can get over this already.....and then come back. This is a process that needs to happen.
Everything shutting down is the only way we get through this fast. Restaurants hotel etc cannot deal with months of bad sales. But two weeks of nothing they can survive with the right economic packages.

wdwfan22

2 weeks ago Disney world closing at all was “extreme” - I think June is best case scenario.

And let’s be honest, they don’t have to reopen all 4 parks. The parks have never been closed like this. Maybe they leave Epcot closed for a bit for example. (Saying that based on sending all the international cast home and so much of the park is under construction anyway.)
Full Time Cast Members with the Culture Representative Program do not have to leave. They can choose to continue their programs if they wish. They are not forcing them to continue though. If they choose to leave they will be marked as completed.

TrainsOfDisney

Full Time Cast Members with the Culture Representative Program do not have to leave. They can choose to continue their programs if they wish. They are not forcing them to continue though. If they choose to leave they will be marked as completed.

Yeah I phrased that wrong. “All international cast” in my post should be “international cast in guest relations and the various programs that have been ended”

disney4life2008

It's not that simple for international college program cast to just fly back to Italy or China...

My friend works as a manager for college program. They all live off international drive off the lake Buena Vista exit. So home home just means their apartments. Now I'm sure some will go home but they have Disney housing albeit ridiculously expensive.

TrainsOfDisney

Yeah I phrased that wrong. “All international cast” in my post should be “international cast in guest relations and the various programs that have been ended”

DisneyCane

What you're missing is that MOST people even with symptoms AREN'T able to get tested yet
I understand that completely. People that have bad enough cases to need hospitalization are definitely getting tested. Data of the percent positive that are hospitalized will overestimate the percentage requiring hospitalization.

It is likely that tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of people in the US already have or have had an infection but it was a mild or asymptomatic case. For the projections of how the hospital system can handle the case load to be accurate, we must get a better idea of the denominator.

According to worldometers.info, under 1% of the cases in South Korea are serious or critical. If that is a similar ratio to what is realistic in the US and we assume 50% of the country will be infected, then 1.6 million will need hospitalization. However, that will be over the whole course of the outbreak. That doesn't mean they need intensive care, just hospitalization.

For all we know, millions of people in the US have it already and are not serious enough to be hospitalized. I honestly don't know if in South Korea they are testing people regardless of any symptoms or if they only test people with some type of indication that they might have COVID-19.

I do know that there is no way we will be able to test over 300 million people. Even if it was logistically possible, you can't force people to have a medical test.

wdwfan22

My friend works as a manager for college program. They all live off international drive off the lake Buena Vista exit. So home home just means their apartments. Now I'm sure some will go home but they have Disney housing albeit ridiculously expensive.
If they live in Disney housing they have to be out. There will be a few exceptions but it looks like the majority will have to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom