Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rimmit

Shanghai and Hong Kong look Like they are getting ready to re-open soon. They were closed the end of January so 2 months. That would put the US parks around mid-May to June 1. Any further delays in testing and containment and July could be wishful thinking. If we were taking bets I’d guess around May 15th but that is just purely a guess. Nobody knows how this will play out.

China was also more aggressive in testing, quarantining people, and eventually locking down parts of the country. We have done none of those things.

Surferboy567

I'm praying so. I feel sick to my stomach right now.

Yes, that is true. It just stinks to have no control of your future.

Another thing, this is my last time I can ever do the program due to me being a grad...

If it wasn’t meant to be then it wasn’t. It sucks but we move on.

I find it unlikely though they will revoke our offers.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Fact or assumption?

I have to ask because this thread is full of people making some pretty broad assumptions about things. Disney isn't about to knock at their door telling them to get out and that they arent their problem anymore.

Quote from Disney:

1584214337797.png

I would be shocked if Disney wasn't making accommodations for CP's who can't leave by then. It said "many" buildings, so there may be places they can move the ones that can't leave, or they could put them up in one of the hotels.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
China was also more aggressive in testing, quarantining people, and eventually locking down parts of the country. We have done none of those things.

China was also more aggressive in testing covering this up since November, quarantining killing people who are infected (including the doctor originally reporting this), and eventually locking down parts of the country declaring Marhsall Law. We have done none of those things.

Yep. That's about right.

danitaytay

Another thing, this is my last time I can ever do the program due to me being a grad...

If it wasn’t meant to be then it wasn’t. It sucks but we move on.

I find it unlikely though they will revoke our offers.

Mine as well...I just don't know what to think anymore.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’m just going off the CP cancellation. They cancelled people ending in July/August who just started! Either this was really poorly thought out on their part, or they know more than we do.
Makes sense, but there could be other factors at play. If the parks opened in May there would likely be a trickle of guests at first. They probably won’t need full staff levels. They may figure it’s better to offer available hours to people who really need the money. Not that you don’t need money in college too but less dire for most people. The other factor may also be the dorms. Having a bunch of CP kids living in dorms for a few months is bad for social distancing. They may want to send them home similar to college students on campuses around the country.

Surferboy567

Makes sense, but there could be other factors at play. If the parks opened in May there would likely be a trickle of guests at first. They probably won’t need full staff levels. They may figure it’s better to offer available hours to people who really need the money. Not that you don’t need money in college too but less dire for most people. The other factor may also be the dorms. Having a bunch of CP kids living in dorms for a few months is bad for social distancing. They may want to send them home similar to college students on campuses around the country.

Yea but then they reopen (whenever they do) they need their cheap labor back right?

Brer Oswald

Idk. I just think the trigger finger move of sending EVERYONE home was either really foolish, or they know something we don’t. Why not send the ones finishing sooner home now, and reevaluate the others in April?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yea but then they reopen (whenever they do) they need their cheap labor back right?
Yes and no. Maybe they open with limited park hours and/or certain less popular restaurants don‘t re-open. If room occupancy is low (like 50%) they need less staff at resorts. Eventually they will need the full CP staff for “cheap labor”. In other words even if the parks open they won’t likely be back to business as usual for a while after. 9/11 may be the best example we have in history but even that isn’t the same thing since more local people who didn’t need to fly still flocked to the parks. This goes beyond fear of flying for the general public.

RoadiJeff

It's probably been said many times already but I hope this downtime gives Disney some extended time to fix whatever bugs that still linger in the ROTR attraction and it runs smoothly once everything gets back to normal.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I think terminating the College Program is very significant. I completely understand the reasons why, but this seems to be supporting the possibility of a lengthier closure.

FWIW - I'm envisioning Memorial Day Weekend as the "Grand Re-Opening". Lines Up right. That'd be a little over 60 days.

VaderTron

On what are you basing the bolded statement? There have been tons of people at the parks all week when the panic seems to be at its height. Stores are decimated. Ours don't even have any water (bottles, jugs....anything). My guess is there will be a crush of guests when they reopen. Only reason I could see that changing is if the infection numbers and/or financial repercussions become exponentially worse between now and then

MissViv

Yes, that is kicking in from Monday. It does at least make out position a little clearer.

Travel to and from UK has not been suspended. Contact your travel agent and you should get a return of your money and book when things are better.

VaderTron

Idk. I just think the trigger finger move of sending EVERYONE home was either really foolish, or they know something we don’t. Why not send the ones finishing sooner home now, and reevaluate the others in April?
Cost-cutting measures. They still have to "pay" them with room and board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom