Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronnie Sanford

What are the chances Disney Parks and Resorts implement temperature screening procedures for all guests entering theme parks?

Whenever they reopen.

Lilofan

It’s going to be a rough one. Any streak of quarterly growth in just about every industry is done. Retail, travel and food services will be hit the hardest.
Pretty much discretionary income market also, to include home improvement, car and home sales, medical/ dental visits if not corona related are some examples. When people see their 401K dropping like a rock, the going out to enjoy and spend takes a big back seat. Retail, travel, food just described Central Florida.

Lilofan

Fast food business would be doing well. In stressful times, people I know tend to forget eating healthy and go with the quick comfort food.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not true. I can buy a iPad or air pods on QVC for 12 easy payments of 99.99 lol
True. Amazon and Walmart often discount iPads and even iPhones. Apple itself usually only has one sale a year on Black Friday.
Pretty much discretionary income market also, to include home improvement, car and home sales, medical/ dental visits if not corona related are some examples. When people see their 401K dropping like a rock, the going out to enjoy and spend takes a big back seat. Retail, travel, food just described Central Florida.
The only slight upside is rate cuts have resulted in extreme low interest rates so some may dip into home equity for home improvements or even a car. Not that I normally condone borrowing for a vacation but that’s always an option too. Many people will hesitate on big spending. We are going to need a true stimulus once the dust settles.

21stamps

Just wondering if you have much of a free for all happening in your area since your governors appearance on tv last night.

Here’s what we have -

All of the SAHM’s posting daily schedules on FB and telling everyone that family time is the best time and we should all enjoy this

People going crazy at grocery stores (I have yet to be to one since all of it started, and no plans to go now)

Other than those minor & avoidable annoyances, it’s relatively normal. People are still out.. businesses are still open.

Nubs70

Here’s what we have -

All of the SAHM’s posting daily schedules on FB and telling everyone that family time is the best time and we should all enjoy this

People going crazy at grocery stores (I have yet to be to one since all of it started, and no plans to go now)

Other than those minor & avoidable annoyances, it’s relatively normal. People are still out.. businesses are still open.
DeWine and his medical experts were on tv last night claiming that, based on statistical analysis, there could be 100,000 infected in Ohio. When both were asked to explain the conclusion, they simply could not give an intelligent response.

thomas998

We are due to arrive from the UK on 1st April. It seems like the worst possible date. We too think it will go into April but until this is confirmed we can do nothing and we don't expect it to be confirmed until late March. Although Disney will let you reschedule for any bookings through June 30th, our travel agent won't currently and so no point rescheduling the hotel and park tickets if we can do nothing with our flights.

Despite our disappointment I am in the camp that it was the right decision. It is obviously frustrating though. Our 'Plan B' is currently to move to October (school holidays) but I fear many others will do the same, options will be minimal and prices will rise. We may end up with a refund and having to start over. With prices being so high for 2021 (50th anniversary) it could be two years before we return. :(
From what I heard this morning, you may not be able to come to the US from the UK in April they are now considering adding the UK to the banned country list in the US due to the rising number of cases in the UK. The percent of the UK population with the virus is quickly approaching other continental countries that are already on the banned list. Frankly a lot of people are wondering why the UK and Ireland were left off the list, especially Ireland which seems to have an even high percentage of the population with the virus than many of the countries on the list. You might want to start looking to see what the refund policy is on the airline tickets will be if the UK flights are banned.

21stamps

DeWine and his medical experts were on tv last night claiming that, based on statistical analysis, there could be 100,000 infected in Ohio. When both were asked to explain the conclusion, they simply could not give an intelligent response.

I know. We all watched it.

Here’s the thing, there’s no way for them to know that, because- WE DON’T HAVE ENOUGH TESTS.

not yelling at you, just simply expressing my own frustration. It’s nearly impossible to get tested, so we have no idea. Yet they come on tv and freak everyone out by just rattling off such a number.

Lilofan

From what I heard this morning, you may not be able to come to the US from the UK in April they are now considering adding the UK to the banned country list in the US due to the rising number of cases in the UK. The percent of the UK population with the virus is quickly approaching other continental countries that are already on the banned list. Frankly a lot of people are wondering why the UK and Ireland were left off the list, especially Ireland which seems to have an even high percentage of the population with the virus than many of the countries on the list. You might want to start looking to see what the refund policy is on the airline tickets will be if the UK flights are banned.
If you are an American citizen in Spain trying to get to the UK to get back to USA, PM Sanchez of Spain is expected to announce nationwide lockdown of Spain, similar to Italy.

ELG13

Can we just lock the whole country down now and get it done and over with?
I've heard from someone they are trying to work with mortgage companies and utilities to come to some sort of a solution with payments being held, hoping a vaccine will appear in the meantime.

Last edited by a moderator:

thomas998

For those who think that things are being blow out of proportion, according to the CDC, without preventive measures:

"Between 160 million and 214 million people in the United States could be infected over the course of the epidemic, according to one projection. That could last months or even over a year, with infections concentrated in shorter periods, staggered across time in different communities, experts said. As many as 200,000 to 1.7 million people could die.

"And, the calculations based on the C.D.C.’s scenarios suggested, 2.4 million to 21 million people in the United States could require hospitalization, potentially crushing the nation’s medical system, which has only about 925,000 staffed hospital beds. Fewer than a tenth of those are for people who are critically ill. "

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/13/us/coronavirus-deaths-estimate.html
Your ignoring a critical part of everything the CDC said... they are using the word COULD before every one of those doom and gloom figures. Those are worst case scenarios. But since you want to latch onto those worst case scenarios, I have a question, do you run in horror when you see someone around you light a cigarette? Smoking kills 480,000 people either from actual smoking or the secondhand smoke every year. So assuming your at least 20 years old; during your lifetime more than 9 million people have died from cigarettes... that's more than 5 times as many as in your CDC worst case scenario.... Now look at the numbers that could be in a hospital... They range from 2.4 million to 21 million that is a huge variance and shows you just how uncertain they are about their worst case scenario. What you are also missing is what is the best case scenario because none of news outlets are even mentioning it. But I assure you there is a best case scenario out there and the most likely place we will end up is not the worst or the best but somewhere in between.

Remember that a significant number of the deaths we have in the US was due to the virus running rampant in a nursing home where people are generally sent to life out their final days. If you were to infect people in a nursing home with a flu virus you would see a much higher mortality rate than you would ever see in the general population.

And lastly remember this is the CDC saying something that is also intended to push the government to provide them with more funding. Anytime something bad happens the government agency in charge tends to use that tragedy to push for more money by playing chicken little. Am I concerned with the virus? Sure, but not so much for it killing half the planet because it wont... More concerned with my investments which are being hammered right now and will probably take a couple of years to recover.

disneyREINA

does anyone know if they plan on staying closed after the end of the month??? I don’t know what to do! My trip is booked at 3/30-4/5. They say they’ll be open on 4/1. I don’t know if I should wait it out or if I should cancel???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom