Possible Frontierland expansion

yensidtlaw1969

The survey logic is that guests want shorter rides so they can visit more rides.
Anyone who thinks guests would rather ride 2 dozen flimsy attractions rather than 5 substantial ones has clearly not visited Disney’s Hollywood Studios recently.

That said, the only WDW park that strikes any reasonable balance is the Magic Kingdom, which happens to still be the most popular park by miles . . . weird . . .

(I think 2 solid D-Tickets and 3 solid C-Tickets would effectively turn DHS into a full day park in guest perception and would cause the park to give Magic Kingdom a run for its money . . . Artistically I think the park needs a little more than that to feel “whole”, but functionally I think that would be enough to turn the tide in a big way)

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Anyone who thinks guests would rather ride 2 dozen flimsy attractions rather than 5 substantial ones has clearly not visited Disney’s Hollywood Studios recently.

That said, the only WDW park that strikes any reasonable balance is the Magic Kingdom, which happens to still be the most popular park by miles . . . weird . . .

(I think 2 solid D-Tickets and 3 solid C-Tickets would effectively turn DHS into a full day park in guest perception and would cause the park to give Magic Kingdom a run for its money . . . Artistically I think the park needs a little more than that to feel “whole”, but functionally I think that would be enough to turn the tide in a big way)

Oh I agree it's ridiculous.

PuertoRekinSam

The survey logic is that guests want shorter rides so they can visit more rides.
There is also the logic of length of attraction vs. pre arrival engagement.

GMR was a long ride; and to the uninitiated Guest; they expect a 30 min wait and a 5 minute ride; but were “stuck” for an hour which impacts their dining reservation. The survey says they want a shorter ride. The context says they wanted to make a more informed decision.

ImperfectPixie

There is also the logic of length of attraction vs. pre arrival engagement.

GMR was a long ride; and to the uninitiated Guest; they expect a 30 min wait and a 5 minute ride; but were “stuck” for an hour which impacts their dining reservation. The survey says they want a shorter ride. The context says they wanted to make a more informed decision.
That's an easy fix - add ride lengths to the app and make them show up when you are looking at the map or when making fastpass selections.

PuertoRekinSam

That's an easy fix - add ride lengths to the app and make them show up when you are looking at the map or when making fastpass selections.

Absolutely, that would add context

Of course I am sure legal would have concerns because stops, slowdowns, and b-shows would the times listed would be inaccurate. Therefore the only solution is no change.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Shorter rides do not necessarily put more people 'in the streets.'

We need to distinguish between the capacity of the ride to hold a certain number of people both in the queue and on the ride v. the people per hour capacity of simply getting on the ride.

A very popular ride with a small hourly capacity could possibly remove more guests 'from the streets' if they're standing in a 4 hour long queue compared to a ride with a high hourly capacity with no one in the queue.

A ride with a very large hourly capacity could be removing very few guests 'from the streets' if it's not popular and just a walk on. The only people removed 'front the street' are those current in a ride vehicle.

For a ride by itself, not counting the queue, to remove a significant number of guests from streets would have to have combination of being very long, with a lot of high capacity vehicles, a quick rate of dispatch, and popular enough that all spaces get filled.

Ellen's, e.g., didn't dispatch that quickly, nor, at the end of its life, get that filled. You can't remove people from the streets if they don't actually leave the streets to get on the ride.

ghidorah97

Realizing that all the discussion about expansion at MK is pie-in-the-sky hopes and wishes, I still find the topic fascinating. The one thing I can't picture, however, is where they would be able to expand the park. I guess that they could repurpose existing space (i.e. finally put something in the Stitch space, or perhaps replace the Speedway) but let's say that they decide to finally build Fire Mountain or Villain/Bald Mountain (yes, I know, neither are going to happen). Where could they go? In this image from Google Maps, I really only see four places that have open space for building. The red area abuts the monorail line and is on the other side of Caribbean Way, so that's probably out. The blue area is parade storage/staging, so that's out (unless all of that can be moved - perhaps to the green area?). The purple area is behind New Fantasyland, so that seems out and the green area abuts the new Tron coaster, so maybe something could happen there?

Maybe the area on the other side of RoA can be developed? Would be interested to hear from those far more knowledgeable than me what options even exist.
DW - MK.PNG

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

Realizing that all the discussion about expansion at MK is pie-in-the-sky hopes and wishes, I still find the topic fascinating. The one thing I can't picture, however, is where they would be able to expand the park. I guess that they could repurpose existing space (i.e. finally put something in the Stitch space, or perhaps replace the Speedway) but let's say that they decide to finally build Fire Mountain or Villain/Bald Mountain (yes, I know, neither are going to happen). Where could they go? In this image from Google Maps, I really only see four places that have open space for building. The red area abuts the monorail line and is on the other side of Caribbean Way, so that's probably out. The blue area is parade storage/staging, so that's out (unless all of that can be moved - perhaps to the green area?). The purple area is behind New Fantasyland, so that seems out and the green area abuts the new Tron coaster, so maybe something could happen there?

Maybe the area on the other side of RoA can be developed? Would be interested to hear from those far more knowledgeable than me what options even exist. View attachment 455360

I believe, though unlikely, removing the Jungle Cruise space HAS been looked at...

JoeCamel

Maybe the area on the other side of RoA can be developed? Would be interested to hear from those far more knowledgeable than me what options even exist. View attachment 455360

Yellow is Fire Mountain from what I remember seeing @marni post

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Do you happen to know whether or not there are still Imagineers who want to create longer attractions or is this just the new Disney mandate now? Obviously they still have it in them given RotR has a fairly lengthy ride time from what I'm reading on here. But is there potential to get more attractions like this or are they going to be very few and far between?

Anything that replaces, no matter how short, Ellen's naptime adventure is a plus.

Tavernacle12

I think I recall Marni, or another insider, saying the Red and Green areas are intended expansion pads. Purple would be difficult to reach if they wanted to do it. There was talk of doing something north of Tom Sawyer Island, but it seemed to involve basically destroying the island, so I'm not sure if it's an actual expansion pad or not (whatever they were planning did not make Marni happy).

I'm sure there's space for more theaters and smaller dark rides around inside the actual perimeter of the park too. Tortuga Tavern and Tomorrowland Terrace are decent sized spaces that are rarely utilized and could be re- purposed, like you said we still have the Stitch space, and Fairytale Hall/Silly Circus could both be redone as rides if Meets became less popular. There's also the parking lot behind Carousel.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom