Odds of a Space Mountain Refurbishment in 2021

Cmdr_Crimson

If this were to happen fo a decent refurb we have to stop this guy as well...Mike Brassell..

He not only composed the music for Space Mountain but, also got the sweet deal of being the narrator of The Peoplemover & Living with The Land..I for one still want Something a bit unique to the mountain..

iMax

With Chapek as CEO now....probably not happening.

I just tell MK guests that if they've been to Disneyland and rode Matterhorn, our Space Mountain is pretty much that but in the dark.

tissandtully

It's not about capitalism, it's about safety.

Remember that there are multiple posts around here stating that the track was spray painted where it was going to be cut for removal around 2008, and you can still spot some of the spray paint today if you're lucky enough to catch a glimpse of SM with the lights on (and know where to look). But yet here we are, 11+ years since that was supposed to happen, riding the same track that was going to be removed and replaced because of safety concerns at that time. Someone said the track is "weld upon weld upon weld" in some places. Trim brakes were installed to lessen the stress on the aging track.

Say one of those welds ultimately breaks at 3pm on some Sunday, causing multiple injuries (and NO, I do NOT want that to happen in any way, shape, or form). How does that look to the general public that "doesn't plan trips around refurbished coaster track"? Sounds like a PR nightmare to me.
Yeah, that was my point about capitalism. Profit over safety.

Eamethyst

Has anyone heard if Space Mountain will get a major DL-Style refurb once Tron opens? I have heard it is picking up steam.
Every ride shuts down for a few months and gets a refurbishment. Space Mountain over the years has changed. It's not been drastic changes but there was still change. The tracks changed a bit. Drops are different then what they from day one. The rockets are different colors and seat differently. In the beginning Space Mountain sat 5 people. 2 people sat in the last seat. There weren't any safety bars. There were seat belts. Space mountain in general will never change. It will get a new paint job, keep it up to date, etc. Disney will never get rid of Space mountain. It's one of the oldest rides.

TrainsOfDisney

Disney will never get rid of Space mountain. It's one of the oldest rides.

That remains to be seen.... I could see them keeping the structure and using it for something like the play pavilion. You can’t convince me that the management that decided to close a classic disney dark ride for a princess meet and greet thinks they need 2 coasters sitting next to each other.

Seabasealpha1

Unfortunately a track can apparently go on for decades being an uncomfortable back-breaker and still pass safety ... old Gwazi at BG Tampa comes to mind.

I don't mind Space Mountain personally ... there are lots of other things they could fix, upgrade and replace that would make me happy.
Likewise, I love the Matterhorn at DL. I would never say it's great on the back...they do seem content to let some things slide...

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Are the sets of 3 screens with “information” in the Space Mt queue new or have they been there a while? My wife said she didn’t remember seeing them 2-3 weeks ago.

GymLeaderPhil

Are the sets of 3 screens with “information” in the Space Mt queue new or have they been there a while? My wife said she didn’t remember seeing them 2-3 weeks ago.
If you’re referring to the televisions past the merge point along the wall, they were added around 2014. Video has changed from showing live actors to graphics only. This is when they took out the dated video right before walking past the tower control room that was on the wall that covers up the alpha side track.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
If you’re referring to the televisions past the merge point along the wall, they were added around 2014. Video has changed from showing live actors to graphics only. This is when they took out the dated video right before walking past the tower control room that was on the wall that covers up the alpha side track.

Not those. These are sort of where some of the interactive games used to be. One example:

6E3F52A5-D940-486B-A4FE-3DE0CB4FA65A.jpeg

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
Every ride shuts down for a few months and gets a refurbishment. Space Mountain over the years has changed. It's not been drastic changes but there was still change. The tracks changed a bit. Drops are different then what they from day one. The rockets are different colors and seat differently. In the beginning Space Mountain sat 5 people. 2 people sat in the last seat. There weren't any safety bars. There were seat belts. Space mountain in general will never change. It will get a new paint job, keep it up to date, etc. Disney will never get rid of Space mountain. It's one of the oldest rides.
Just a quick correction....track hasn't changed. Drops are the same. They may feel different as trim brakes were added at the top of a drop or two, to lessen the stress on the structure. Rockets used to seat 8, 2 connected rockets, 4 guests per rocket, in groups of two, toboggan style. Yes, there were seat belts.

MadTeacup

Is there any evidence Orlando's is at the stage it could be facing these specific issues as well?

Or has the somewhat separate lifespan issue been mitigated by trim brakes, etc.
Speaking as someone who frequently rides Space with the lights on, I see Space Mountain as an accident waiting to happen - not in the way you're thinking, though. What I do see is that the ride is VERY thoroughly inspected and as well-maintained as possible. There is evidence of this all along the track and at all the connection points. It technically doesn't NEED new track (but realistically it SHOULD get new track.) The reason it's an accident waiting to happen is because of the grandfathered code that it was built to in the 1970's. There are so many opportunities to badly injure hands and arms during the ride because of a poor ride envelope clearance. As an average height american, I can touch track structure if I sit just right and hold my arms up (something you shouldn't do, but are probably aware of.) How often do we see people touching the walls of the tunnels? There is no way that a roller coaster in a park that sees as many misbehaved tourists as Magic Kingdom (no offense to anyone) should not be up to more current safety regulations. I'm honestly surprised the legal team even allows the ride to remain open in its current form.

trainplane3

Speaking as someone who frequently rides Space with the lights on, I see Space Mountain as an accident waiting to happen - not in the way you're thinking, though. What I do see is that the ride is VERY thoroughly inspected and as well-maintained as possible. There is evidence of this all along the track and at all the connection points. It technically doesn't NEED new track (but realistically it SHOULD get new track.) The reason it's an accident waiting to happen is because of the grandfathered code that it was built to in the 1970's. There are so many opportunities to badly injure hands and arms during the ride because of a poor ride envelope clearance. As an average height american, I can touch track structure if I sit just right and hold my arms up (something you shouldn't do, but are probably aware of.) How often do we see people touching the walls of the tunnels? There is no way that a roller coaster in a park that sees as many misbehaved tourists as Magic Kingdom (no offense to anyone) should not be up to more current safety regulations. I'm honestly surprised the legal team even allows the ride to remain open in its current form.
I'm still surprised at how "tight" the tunnels are. I'll never forget the first time I touched the top of the "charge" tunnel. It was shocking because I didn't do anything special to do that and it's also super staticky. The reentry tunnel is even lower. As someone that almost always puts their hands up on a coaster, that's the first and only time I touched something.

Josh Hendy

I touched part of the structure once on MK SM when I held up my arms in the middle of the ride. My finger tips slightly brushed against the metal ... somebody taller than me might do a little more damage. I've never heard of anyone getting injured that way, but it shouldn't happen at all.

Some perspective: once on Dueling Dragons when we came to a halt outside the station, a red-hot piece of brake pad or something fell on my arm and left a tiny burn that stung for a minute. That was good for a family Express pass that we used to ride The Mummy about 5 times in the last hour before closing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom