News Haunted Mansion To Remain Closed For Unknown Reasons

ELG13

The CG ghosts are just plain embarrassing. My brain knows there’s fakery happening and makes the ride end with a thunk (Little Leota of course does her best to make up for it, but). The rod puppets are physical props, like 99% of the ghosts that proceed them and are infinitely more believable. The mirror scene is made even worse by the stellar ghost figures that we pass by right before. And whomever decided that Ezra in the mirror looked good enough needs to have their eyes examined.
I'll never forget my last ride I took and the first I took when they were replaced. My 6 yr old was even like"ummmmm" and this was as on 2006. I was so bummed. It's still my favorite dark track ride though. Disney needs to remember that part of what makes these older rides good, is the OLD LOOK. I don't want screens and projections everywhere.

Pepper's Ghost

Well, I'm gonna walk back my statement about how long this might take, depending on how much of that rail broke off (assuming that's what happened). That's a real mess in tight spaces and I wouldn't want to be the one scraping my knuckles under there. And this likely involves removing a good number of cars to get to it.

Ugh, I hate working on small parts in tight places. The smaller the parts, the tougher the fix. I have to think that the parts aren't too small or delicate though given that the ride goes down to this degree very seldomly. I forgot to mention removing cars too. So true. I'm not sure how easily the ride cars come off the track in mid-ride like that.

I'd love to be a ghost in the graveyard during the repair. It'd be fascinating to see all it takes to fix something like this. I imagine just finding the problem took many hours. From the pics that were posted ride cars were messed up all the way to mirrors at the end of the ride. Who knows how far the damage extended throughout the ride track to that area. That would require extensive repairs to be needed. The more we talk about this, the more I realize it could be down for an extended period of time if the damage was extensive.

ThatMouse

Disney World contracts almost everything and those contractors have pretty cool stories. If you ever meet a construction worker in Florida, ask them about Disney. Someone was just telling me how he resurfaced the Aqua Duck on the cruise ship, steps he took and what materials are used. He also said after working on that for a month he has no desire to take a cruise lol!

Lilofan

Disney World contracts almost everything and those contractors have pretty cool stories. If you ever meet a construction worker in Florida, ask them about Disney. Someone was just telling me how he resurfaced the Aqua Duck on the cruise ship, steps he took and what materials are used. He also said after working on that for a month he has no desire to take a cruise lol!
I think a cool job but tough would be living and working at Disney's Castaway.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Ugh, I hate working on small parts in tight places. The smaller the parts, the tougher the fix. I have to think that the parts aren't too small or delicate though given that the ride goes down to this degree very seldomly. I forgot to mention removing cars too. So true. I'm not sure how easily the ride cars come off the track in mid-ride like that.

I'd love to be a ghost in the graveyard during the repair. It'd be fascinating to see all it takes to fix something like this. I imagine just finding the problem took many hours. From the pics that were posted ride cars were messed up all the way to mirrors at the end of the ride. Who knows how far the damage extended throughout the ride track to that area. That would require extensive repairs to be needed. The more we talk about this, the more I realize it could be down for an extended period of time if the damage was extensive.
Well, once those guide wheels come off the turn control track, it's gonna be freewheeling from then on. There's a chance it's only a small segment of the track that broke, my guess at one of the points where the Doombuggies make a hard turn left or right.

If it's at the top of the drop, that's gonna be a bear working on that elevated track to fix it.

And here's hoping DLR's HM crew are doing an extensive inspection of the same rail (and the tilt rail) before the same thing happens out there...

BigThunderMatt

Given the size of WDW and the number of unique parts they would need at any given time, having onsite fabrication abilities would probably be more cost-effective then subbing it out.

Honestly this was probably standard practice back in the day. Central Shops is very much still a thing but WDW has been taking a turn towards contracting out everything they can for years.

TP2000

And here's hoping DLR's HM crew are doing an extensive inspection of the same rail (and the tilt rail) before the same thing happens out there...

Disneyland's Haunted Mansion is currently closed for a four month long planned refurbishment.

I'm sure they are already double-checking the track or issue at Disneyland now, but the Haunted Mansion isn't scheduled to reopen for several more months in Anaheim so they have plenty of time.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It could be a part failed that not only did damage and needs replacing but also damaged numerous doombuggies before they could be stopped.
Didn't consider this, but yeah -- again assuming the turn guide rail broke -- if the rail didn't cleanly separate from the track assy, and raked the bottoms of a couple of Doombuggies, then there's a lot of damage could have been done...

Minnesota disney fan

You lucked out! I was thinking to myself that if I had planned a trip and the HM was closed during the trip, I'd be devastated. I know that's an extreme opinion, but there are a few things I have to go on numerous times during my visit and HM is at the top of the list. Luckily (kind of) I don't have any trips planned for the future. I always fear some of my favorites will be closed during a trip though.

I mean, they already ruined Soaring, Test Track, and Spaceship Earth is closed. Those ride changes/refurbs deter me from wanting to visit any time soon. Not sure when I'll get over it and plan another one. Maybe later this year.
Yes, we were lucky with HM. Space ship Earth was also open, which I thought was closed too. We felt lucky to see it in it's original version one more time. Splash Mtn. was closed earlier in our trip but opened back up. I guess Karma was with us this time:) HM is also one attraction that I do at least 3 times a trip.

Pepper's Ghost

Not to diverge from the thread topic too much, and I know this has been said ad nauseam on this thread and many others, but what the heck is going on with ride maintenance lately. I get the park is 50 years old, but are they now just running to failure to pinch pennies?

Edit: btw, I know this is a dumb question. I'm stating the obvious, but happy 50th... all our rides are broke.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Not to diverge from the thread topic too much, and I know this has been said ad nauseam on this thread and many others, but what the heck is going on with ride maintenance lately. I get the park is 50 years old, but are they now just running to failure to pinch pennies?
To be fair, this particular failure isn't exactly a daily maintenance kind of thing... that rail, its age, extra Florida humidity, starts/stops of the Omnimover... all of it adds up.

Lilofan

Treat your staff well and they will go above and beyond. Don't and staff will go through the motions and do what is expected of them if that. It may just not be pinching pennies.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
What is the possibility that this ultimately results in an extended down time for the attraction (not necessarily now, but in the next couple of years) where they completely remove and replace the ride system? I feel like we're getting to that point with multiple WDW attractions (SM, SSE, TM)...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Edit: btw, I know this is a dumb question. I'm stating the obvious, but happy 50th... all our rides are broke.
It could be something, could be nothing.

I see our shop go months without a single mechanical hiccup and then they will get 4 before lunch on an odd Tuesday.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom