Splash Mountain...don't want to get soaked

ninjaprincesst

the only time I ever get wet is if you get splashed at the start of the ride by a boat that is on the drop or if i get stuck by the waterfall. I once saw a whole family with trash bags with only a hole for their heads but that seems a bit extreme to me just to stay dry.

SteamboatJoe

Buy a poncho. Make sure it covers your legs too. And try and sit nearer the back, left side.

Yep, this is about all you can do. You will definitely get wet in the front row. I can tell you that.

It's a water ride....there is always a chance you are going to get significantly wet.

entangled

I've gotten more drenched on Pirates of the Caribbean than on Splash, sadly enough. The cannon effects on Pirates always seem to find me...

Mickey5150

Second row can be very bad. If on the last drop, the people in the front row duck down, the second row gets a blast of water. If I know the people behind me i love to sit in the front row.

Raineman

If it's a hot, sunny day, drying off quickly shouldn't be an issue. My first ride on Splash was on a day like that-got somewhat wet, but was dry within 1/2 hour. The second time, last November, it was about 14 C (57 F) and cloudy; all of us wore ponchos, and the only part of myself that was wet afterwards were the end of the sleeves of my hoodie that stuck out past the poncho sleeve. Getting wet on that kind of day would have been unpleasant. I couldn't imagine wearing a poncho on a hot Florida day, though, even for the 10 minutes on the ride.

JustAFan

I usually get wet on Splash Mountain, but not every time. The biggest offender is not the drop, but the falling water after you come around the bend from the drop. It's especially wonderful if you get stuck in traffic right at that spot. I just know there's someone in a control room watching a camera aimed at that one spot laughing their butt off.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
When I rode Splash in 2016 I got totally soaked. I was in the second row and somehow every single possible way to get wet (cannons, Slippin Falls wall, LP drop, big drop, waterfall at end of ride), got me. It was 90 that day so I wasn't complaining

Weather_Lady

You're not likely to get drenched, but it can happen. As others said, if you're concerned, bring a disposable plastic fold-up poncho from your local Dollar Store and just wear it on the ride.

Failing that, a plain old plastic garbage bag (or your hotel room's plastic laundry/dry cleaning bag, if it's big enough) with a hole torn in it for your head would also protect you from the worst of the water. You also might want to keep a dry napkin in your pocket to do a quick wipe-down of the seat as you board, since they can be really wet too.

I personally don't mind getting splashed -- I just bring a Ziploc bag for my phone so it can stay dry!

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

Splash has water cannons. If you make a quick stop by the viewing area, you can see if the cannons are on or not. You can't actually see the cannons from the bridge- they are designed/timed to look like a big splash that just happens to spray the (other) passing logs. The water cannon spray goes towards Pirates.

Kali is also a bit hit or miss. More or less, everyone gets (at least) a few sprinkles. Often that's all you get. Sometimes, one side of the raft (=2 riders) gets soaked, sometimes 4 riders get fairly soaked.

There's a bridge near the end of the ride, and people on the bridge can push a button to operate sprayers, that might also hit your raft such that you get wet, but not always.

I don't know how to say this, but if you don't like getting wet, WDW might not be the best destination. When I think back on my trips to WDW and all the times I've been (very) wet, RAIN is by far the most frequent culprit. Like anywhere, FL rain is variable. It can be light, but FL is also known for heavy downpours, especially in summer/fall. Even when it doesn't rain, Florida heat can often be sticky. If you tend to sweat, you might feel like you were out in the rain.

It pays to watch the daily weather report, and to pack with the idea that it might rain. most of the year, I like to bring something like water-tolerant walking sandals and clothes that can get wet. Generally though, I'd suggest dressing and planning for potential pop up storms most days of your visit.

If rain risk is below 50%: maybe wear sneakers, plastic poncho, denim.
If rain risk is above 50% and Kali days: I wear water-tolerant hiking sandals (or similar), avoid denim, avoid white (i.e. sheer when wet white), and bring a rain jacket. For WDW, I LOVE my 'packable' rain parka.

'Packable' rain parkas are sold in a number of stores, under assorted names, but an easy one to find are the ones sold by Uniqlo. These little jackets fold down into one pocket, so they are compact, lightweight, breathable. Many other big name chains sell them seasonally, and they come in all ages/sizes/genders.

Plastic ponchos vary in quality and price. Before they are opened, ponchos are very compact, but ponchos can also be pretty miserable to wear, and re-folding them can be a pain. I almost always pack a few, but rarely use them.

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

Just another small piece of advice...for guys, a small ziploc bag to put your wallet in before going on the ride goes a long way...

Seabasealpha1

Maybe someone has said this...depends on the season...you're more likely to get "more wet" (soaked isn't really a thing on this...Kali River Rapids is SOAKED) during the summer months...

However, if you're concerned...sit at the back of the "log" and like Marni said, wear a poncho.

You're going to look a little funny...but...to each their own... :)

juniorthomas

There is no real safe spot, and even if you end up dry from the drop, you may still get soaked towards the end of the ride as you wait to disembark. (Once I was stuck under a waterfall for longer than I’d have preferred for 9pm at night.)

One thing that may play a role is the weight distribution on your log. If it’s balanced, you may suffer less than if there is a more pronounced imbalance. If more weight is up front, there may be a larger crest with which to deal afterward. Someone should do extensive testing on this theory. We should start a gofundme page, for science of course. Definitely for science. :cool:

No matter the result, I hope you’ll have a great time on your trip!

MickeyLuv'r

There is no real safe spot, and even if you end up dry from the drop, you may still get soaked towards the end of the ride as you wait to disembark. (Once I was stuck under a waterfall for longer than I’d have preferred for 9pm at night.)

The little waterfall is on the right side. Generally, logs do stop right in front of the waterfall...but how long is variable, and depends a little how many logs are running, and log back up. Generally, any splash from the falls only hit the person on the right hand side, and it usually isn't all that much, and even less if you are able to move over a little bit, as the splashes generally don't land very far into the log.

Over the last five years or so, I don't recall any times that I have gotten very wet on Splash, because of Splash. I agree that the most wet I got was getting stuck in front of the waterfall, but I felt- more or less - completely dry in a matter of minutes.

As I posted earlier, I have gotten much more wet multiple times due to absolute downpours. It is especially bad on Epcot days.

Scoots71

Right front is the only spot you truly want to avoid. There are a few "cheap shots" at that spot, namely rocks where the wave of water in front of the boat gets splashed back at you after the first fall. Everyone on the right side is at risk from the cannon as you pass by the big drop, and the waterfall after the last drop.

Left side is usually pretty safe, especially away from the first row. I love sitting right side front row (cause the Mrs wants to stay drier), and usually the worst I get is a splash to the face, and some splashes to the shirt. Nothing that isn't dry within half an hour on a bad day.

Disneyland on the other hand, the first time we did that, we had to go back to the hotel for dry clothes. I got as soaked on that as I did at Kali River Rapids in Animal Kingdom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom