Who has NEVER been to a rope-drop?

dsmith51

Original Poster
In all the times I've been to Disney World (or Disneyland for that matter), and there have been many, I've never been to a rope drop/park opening ceremony. If I'm going on vacation and want to sleep in until 9 or 10 a.m., I'm going to take advantage of this! I'm not a morning person, so it would not be in my best interest to get up at 5:00 a.m. and be at rope-drop when the park (any one of them) is about to open.

Who else has never been to a rope drop, and don't think they'll ever get to one?

StarWarsGirl

This past trip was my first time doing rope drop, and it was only at DHS, and only because of RotR, and I was at BWV, so I could walk and be in the park about 20 minutes after leaving my room.

Never, ever, again.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I have been going to WDW my whole life and until 2006 at age 20 and the first time I went without my parents and stayed onsite I had never gone RD.
This is because my mom would drag her feet in the morning and I only learned recently the reason she did that was because she had anxiety about going to the parks and she still does but she understands the value of RD now that she's been.
If a park opens at 9am there's no reason to get up at 5am unless it really takes that long for you to get ready.
For example if MK opens at 9am and we are staying at POP we usually get up at about 6:45am take showers, get dressed, eat some breakfast in the room, put on sunscreen and walk out at about 7:45am.
We also don't think a WDW trip is a leisurely vacation. Instead we go warrior style and then rest the day we get home.

danyoung56

We also don't think a WDW trip is a leisurely vacation. Instead we go warrior style and then rest the day we get home.

Back in the olden days (like 60's and 70's) I could do DL from rope drop to park closing. Now, even with an old guy nap every day, I find I have to book a less active day maybe 3 days or so into a trip. Otherwise I hit the Disney wall, and just stumble around till it's time to eat.

jloucks

Oddly enough, I am not sure I have ever done one. At least, not one that imprinted on my long term memory. Now I have done it at Six Flags (miserable experience). I don't think I have ever done it at WDW. Maybe once at Magic Kingdom. Meh. I think we arrived about 5 minutes after rope drop and that it what is clouding my memory.

Last edited:

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Back in the olden days (like 60's and 70's) I could do DL from rope drop to park closing. Now, even with an old guy nap every day, I find I have to book a less active day maybe 3 days or so into a trip. Otherwise I hit the Disney wall, and just stumble around till it's time to eat.

We tend to go on shorter trips so we only go to the parks for 3 days/sometimes 4.
My parents are in their 70's and when they go alone they take their time.
When they go with us we tend to all compromise a bit. They go a bit faster and we go a bit slower.

UNCgolf

I've never rope dropped (at least that I remember; I suppose it's possible we did when I was a kid).

I've been in the Magic Kingdom prior to official opening for breakfast at both Cinderella's Royal Table and Be Our Guest, but I don't think that counts.

DRC68

I always do rope drop. The main reason is that you can get so much done in the first couple of hours of the day. As a buddy once said to me - "Wah wah waaah! You can sleep when you're dead! Bring me another beer!!!"
I always said, "I'll sleep when I get back to work!"

The Mighty Tim

Not strictly, though I have been at both EPCOT and Magic Kingdom before opening for the behind the scenes tours (Undiscovered Future World and Keys to the Kingdom respectively)

I usually arrive at the park a little after rope drop.

KLinder7

Sleep and Disney don't go well together for me. I'm usually closing the parks and then waking up for rope drop to get in some rides before the crowds! Will be an interesting rope drop at Hollywood Studios when I get there in March with all the Star Wars craziness going on.

Dory71

In all my visits to WDW I have only done rope drop 1 time and only because we had an early Keys to the Kingdom tour. We did enjoy it and said we should do it more often, but sleeping in always wins out.

Herdman

My wife and daughter are not really morning people at all. They would much rather sleep. But after they saw our touring plans and what we were about to accomplish with lower crowds and cooler temps, they both readily admitted it was worth getting up early for. When we can we take afternoon breaks to beat the heat a little and take a short nap or dip in the pool.

Not for everyone I'm sure, but it's worked great for us.

Doug Means

I like rope drop(have not been to HS sense RotR). The main reason is, especially at MK, is that it takes a little while for the crowd to really get into the park. Lots of families wait until a little later to get there. so, for the first hour especially, there isn't the crowd that's there after noon. it is so much more pleasant in MK in the morning, and then late at night. So, on my MK day i rope drop, have a long relaxing lunch and maybe even swim at the pool in the middle of the day, then finish up the night at the park where during those times just don't seem as bad as the middle of the day.

JIMINYCR

I have always gotten up early and stayed late. I'm just not one who likes to lay around in bed when I know the parks are calling to me. I've waited too long for the trip to happen to waste one second of excitement.
I've never done one because I dont see the appeal of beating someone else to be the first in line of a certain ride.
Its about getting so much more done in the time you have. With crowds building now more than ever, the time wasted waiting in lines eats up the opportunity to do as much in a day as you used to be able to.

We use to live about 7 miles from Disneyland and did a lot of rope drops. Especially when our grandson was staying with us. He had the privilege to push the button that started the music and statement for the rope drop in the store on thr right side of Main Street.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom