News Walt Disney World updates Disney Dining Plan with new options

Biff215

$96.40/night for adult, $35/night per child doesn't make it a good deal for me.
Agreed. IMO the DDP hasn’t been a “good deal” since they removed the gratuity many years ago. Even then you had to order the most expensive thing on the menu just to see savings. Now it’s just a way to prepay your meals or avoid the crazy character meal prices, even if you still might be overpaying.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agreed. IMO the DDP hasn’t been a “good deal” since they removed the gratuity many years ago. Even then you had to order the most expensive thing on the menu just to see savings. Now it’s just a way to prepay your meals or avoid the crazy character meal prices, even if you still might be overpaying.
I was always hoping the “value” may creep back in...but they have consistently increased prices to the point that it won’t happen.

So my 4 would cost $2800 with tax for a week now?

We still can’t really consume $1500 in a week...and that’s laced with more of the upper end sit downs with some frequency.

ddp ended up being what I feared: high end up front costs, declining quality, and a weapon to be used against those that don’t buy in and want flexibility.

Strike 3

ThatMouse

I've seen people who think it's worth it calculate it as saving money, but only if they add on all the desserts and things we would never pay extra for anyway. Even the refillable mugs make no sense. If you're already in your room, you have cheaper drinks in your frig. They should just use plastic cups instead of mugs, so you can go straight from breakfast to the buses.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I mean it really depends on how you eat. I typically don't order 2 desserts and 2 apps at my dinners, but I do order a cocktail for me and my wife, which still doesn't make much sense now.

Last edited:

Lirael

Now it’s just a way to prepay your meals or avoid the crazy character meal prices, even if you still might be overpaying.
Even then it doesn't help much since you still have to pay for gratuity, so you'll still have the bother of needing to check the bill and pay.

The price really does nothing for me, it's too high for any worth and it doesn't save any hassle. so why have it?

I'm wondering, however, if this will be the object of a "Free DP" offer later on.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I mean it really depends on how you eat. I typically don't order 2 desserts and 2 apps at my dinners, but I do order a cocktail for me and my wife, which still doesn't make much sense now.
At that price point, not a chance. You’d have to eat a character meal and a table service meal every day just to break even.
Even then it doesn't help much since you still have to pay for gratuity, so you'll still have the bother of needing to check the bill and pay.

The price really does nothing for me, it's too high for any worth and it doesn't save any hassle. so why have it?

I'm wondering, however, if this will be the object of a "Free DP" offer later on.

This is one of the more fascinating consumer pricing subjects I’ve ever seen...anywhere - not Just Disney.

They don’t sell it as a “value” anymore. They just set the conditions where they bully the consumer and their travel agents into feeling compelled to do it in advance. And unlike other prepaid...it’s actually more than out of pocket up front for most. The opposite of a discount.

Where else do you pay or even exceed the price for the value of what you’re given for the “privilege” of prepayment? And add 20% if you get the better food.

You have to really work to make it a discount..:which involves heavy over consumptions.

Over the hours/days you have to eat all the most expensive things to “make out”...it wears
Most mortals down and becomes a chore.

It’s really a huge game changer in Florida...it’s affected so many things the list goes on forever.

Last edited:

DisneyDebRob

It hasn’t been a good deal since they removed the appetizer, dessert and gratuity, leaving it with just dessert.

Last edited:

Jon81uk

They should just use plastic cups instead of mugs, so you can go straight from breakfast to the buses.
They changed the mugs to not have handles about 3-4 years ago and due to complaints the traditional mugs returned in months. I visited during the cups-without-handles time and it annoyed me as I needed to use a cardboard cup holder so I could carry two cups back to the room, when they had handles it was easy to carry more than one mug all in one hand.

ThatMouse

They changed the mugs to not have handles about 3-4 years ago and due to complaints the traditional mugs returned in months. I visited during the cups-without-handles time and it annoyed me as I needed to use a cardboard cup holder so I could carry two cups back to the room, when they had handles it was easy to carry more than one mug all in one hand.

Ya the handles were dumb, but what I mean is, you don't want to take the cups to the parks so it's an extra trip back to the room to drop them off. They should just use cups you leave at the restaurant and they wash them.

Jon81uk

Ya the handles were dumb, but what I mean is, you don't want to take the cups to the parks so it's an extra trip back to the room to drop them off. They should just use cups you leave at the restaurant and they wash them.

You mean like a table service place? I don't think that's going to happen.
It would work if you were paying for refills while you are eating in (like a table service) but I imagine length-of-stay would be harder to monitor. Also many people get a coffee or soda and take it back to their room or onwards to the park so many of the cups would never come back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom