The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MySmallWorldof4

Well, that's the whole point...to learn manual. I had my drivers license in the US for years before I moved over here. So I know how to drive, I just needed to learn manual, and a few differences in laws. There are 2 types of drivers licenses here. If you learn stick shift, you can drive both stick and automatic. If you learn automatic, you can ONLY drive automatic. And most cars are stick here...automatics are becoming a bit more popular, but they're still few and far between. So I need to be able to drive a manual.
But the style of driving over here is much more aggressive than in the US. There are a LOT of roads that are really only made for one lane, but go both ways, so you have to be very careful to move over enough that someone else can get by, and to do that, you have to drive in the bike lane, so you have to be careful not to hit a cyclist, and you aren't supposed to slow down TOO much. You are only supposed to slow down or stop if you absolutely have to. Otherwise, you keep moving. My instructor told me to turn left, so I put on my blinker, I go to slow down to take the corner and he says no, don't hit the brake, but I was going too fast to take the corner and I had to shift while turning. Because he wouldn't let me brake, I was past the turn before I had slowed enough to take it....I was so confused. I so don't understand the reasoning behind not braking. If you can't slow down enough in time, why can't you brake?? But I wasn't supposed to brake to take the corner, I wasn't supposed to brake to get down to a lower speed limit, I wasn't supposed to brake at the intersection where I didn't have the right of way and had to wait for other cars. It doesn't make sense to me. It's so counter-intuitive. And to have to re-learn all of that while learning to shift and such is really frustrating. There have been a couple of times where I've pointed things out because he told me to hit the gas for example, but I'm already over the speed limit. Or he tells me to do something that there's a sign there that says you can't do that. And then he says "Well spotted." but I don't know if it was like a test to see if I'm paying attention, or if he didn't see it himself, in which case that's not good! I'm just really frustrated with it. DH says after 10 lessons it will be natural, but I came home last week all jittery and it took me an hour to stop shaking. I walked into the house on jelly legs and then I burst into tears telling my husband about the lesson. My lesson today was canceled because someone in the instructor's family is in the hospital with pneumonia and I was kind of relieved that I didn't have to deal with it this week. I know I need to do this, but once I get the license, I don't see myself driving beyond to work or choir, and occassionally if we go out to eat and DH wants to have a beer with dinner.
Find another instructor.

StarWarsGirl

English, Dutch on my fathers side, trace that side of the family back to before the Revolution (settled in upstate NY) ancestor fought in the Revolution colonist side (sorry Mr Ferret). Mothers side German great grand father (mother side) came from the Black Forest region of Germany
I can trace on my mom's side my ancestry to 1632. :oops: Family of three came to Virginia from England. A father, wife, and son. The father died a year later. The wife and son made it to Maryland and settled there at some point.

My dad's side of the family came from England. It's weird because apparently, his family came from Germany to England and then to America. Our last name is most definitely anglicized German, but then there's people in England with our last name, and our family was here before the Revolution. Weird case.

And the African...we traded back on my dad's mom's side....one of her ancestors was an escaped slave.

Figgy1

Premium Member
We'll see if/when "wealthy" happens. I'm playing the long game LOL.

Btw, since when do manuals cost more than automatic transmissions? I've always found it was the other way around. Bonus: much less expensive to replace a clutch vs. a transmission! Disclosure: I haven't driven a manual since the early 90's. Lived up a big hill in Budd Lake, NJ. Burnt out that clutch twice in as many years LOL.
One guy I worked with lived there and had no license. It was get one or lose his job, because we were sick and tired of running him back and forth every day! I had an old Honda manual at tie time. He still barely drives which is a good thing but at least he can in an emergency

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I always thought manuals were cheaper,a t least if you build a car online. Only 1K cheaper but still you never see manuals on the lot.

But on the gas mileage note, my car is still getting great mpg. I'm averaging 43.5 with 15,000 miles. And I don't have a hybrid or anything.
What car did you buy? I forget.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
You could be sorry... new dryers seem to only last 1 or 2 years these days... UGH.... I'll keep fixing my Kenmore, as long as it is economical to do so.

when I bought my house it came with a 1957 Washing machine. It worked perfectly. I only tossed it after my kids became a bit older. The drum was so small and only held 3 pairs of blue jeans. Who has time for that? At best my new ones lasted around 5 years on average.

6E08C066-C83D-401D-B779-D5E3D5D0C4D2.jpeg
And that is also feel about home furnaces too.

Rista1313

when I bought my house it came with a 1957 Washing machine. It worked perfectly. I only tossed it after my kids became a bit older. The drum was so small and only held 3 pairs of blue jeans. Who has time for that? At best my new ones lasted around 5 years on average.

View attachment 452346
And that is also feel about home furnaces too.

My dryer is probably from the 80's I'm guessing... I've never checked, it came with the house. The washer I replaced with a scratch and dent about 8 years ago... never have found the dent or the scratch.

21stamps

Everyone who has commented about National Parks-

I appreciate it, and am going back to read them. The past couple days have been super hectic at work.. plus, T has a couple projects due tomorrow, we’ve been working on those.

Just wanted to let you know that I didn’t just ask a question and then disregard the answers!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom