News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

Lilofan

The only person with enough creativity to take over P&R and lead it in the proper direction is also possibly just insane enough to not actually WANT the position.

I'm speaking of course about the man, the myth, the legend, and the earring that is Joe Rhode.
If Rohde even is considered as a replacement for Chapek which would be a pipe dream, the Disney Look dress code that all began in Walt's days would disappear.

orky8

Eisner didn't think he could run the company, and since you admit Iger had a good tenure, Eisner was wrong. Honestly though I think Eisner was just a little miffed about losing the company he loved.

...Which is also why all this talk of it being sudden is silly... paperwork has to be filed with the SEC, the lawyers have to be involved, press and publicity, scheduled interviews arranged for investors and the networks and so on. This has probably been in the works for weeks.
Wow, weeks!?! That would be crazy “sudden” for such a massive decision, though that is kinda how it feels. The things you mentioned would take hours to line up and accomplish if needed. When you change CEOs at one of the most recognized companies, it’s not difficult to schedule an interview on CNBC. That’s the kind of event CNBC hopes for so they have something to cover. And the interviews didn’t seem nearly as well rehearsed as I would have expected.

mikejs78

Premium Member
The only person with enough creativity to take over P&R and lead it in the proper direction is also possibly just insane enough to not actually WANT the position.

I'm speaking of course about the man, the myth, the legend, and the earring that is Joe Rhode.
Rhode belongs at WDI. There are two parts to P&R - the creative and the operations. Rhode has zero experience with the operations.

The ideal P&R leader is an ops guy who knows and cares about the parks, and has enough respect for the creatives at WDI to let them do their job rather than force their hand on everything.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I didn't say it was bad, just that the reviews weren't great. Your original comment made it sound like it had overwhelmingly positive reviews along the lines of Black Panther, which has an 88 on Metacritic.

Don't forget that the movie reviews were utterly filled with rage comments by angry men who didn't have the capacity to handle the character being a woman.

Josh Hendy

Chapek’s job is to simply leverage Disney plus like Tim had to figure out how to leverage iPhone. Chapek mentioned collecting tons of data from Disney plus
Other than recording the fact that I watched a movie, what other "tons" of information is Chapek so enthused to be collecting about me?

Brer Oswald

I’ve offered analytical takes, but maybe I should offer a critical take.

Is this really THAT bad???

We all knew this was going to happen. If Iger were to step down in 2021, there was a slim chance that someone other than ol’ Bobby would step up, but I’m not even sure if someone else would be better.

There are so many possibilities in this, and as I did two years ago, I see multiple silver linings.

Now that Chapek is CEO, someone needs to take his place as head of Parks and Resorts. There’s a chance that whoever it be, might hopefully be someone who understands the parks better. Will Chapek even have time for creative input in the parks? Who knows, but based on recent reports from Iger, that’s almost certainly a no.

And say he does get creative input. We actually have a CEO with parks experience. Yeah, new attractions will lack the creative integrity of older additions, but the parks might actually be funded better and treated as a pillar on par with the film division.

Or, maybe Chapek is a creative genius who was being held back because of Iger? Maybe not, but we really don’t know. It’s time to wait and see, a time to observe. We certainly know more about the guy than the average Joe’s who first heard his name yesterday, but do we really know what he’s capable of? No.

FettFan

Other than recording the fact that I watched a movie, what other "tons" of information is Chapek so enthused to be collecting about me?

He wants to know how many people watch Disney+ on their computer, and see who clicks off to visit other websites.

Chiefly, he wants to see how many Disney-themed videos get hits on "Corn Pub".
logo.png

Just so he can decide to switch popcorn brands again.

ImperfectPixie

I’ve offered analytical takes, but maybe I should offer a critical take.

Is this really THAT bad???

We all knew this was going to happen. If Iger were to step down in 2021, there was a slim chance that someone other than ol’ Bobby would step up, but I’m not even sure if someone else would be better.

There are so many possibilities in this, and as I did two years ago, I see multiple silver linings.

Now that Chapek is CEO, someone needs to take his place as head of Parks and Resorts. There’s a chance that whoever it be, might hopefully be someone who understands the parks better. Will Chapek even have time for creative input in the parks? Who knows, but based on recent reports from Iger, that’s almost certainly a no.

And say he does get creative input. We actually have a CEO with parks experience. Yeah, new attractions will lack the creative integrity of older additions, but the parks might actually be funded better and treated as a pillar on par with the film division.

Or, maybe Chapek is a creative genius who was being held back because of Iger? Maybe not, but we really don’t know. It’s time to wait and see, a time to observe. We certainly know more about the guy than the average Joe’s who first heard his name yesterday, but do we really know what he’s capable of? No.
He's a merchandise guy who likes to cut budgets in any way humanly possible. He botched the opening of both Galaxy's Edge lands in basically every way possible - even failing to get a crowd of media/bloggers/vloggers excited during the dedication (to the point that it was beyond awkward). He forced the early opening of Rise of the Resistance in DHS against the wishes of Imagineering (who knew it wasn't ready). Sorry, but he may be great at merchandising (I don't personally believe that, as the quality/variety of merch in the parks is dismal), but I really don't think he's a good choice for CEO of Disney. My big toe has more creativity, imagination, and leadership capabilities.

Brer Oswald

He's a merchandise guy who likes to cut budgets in any way humanly possible. He botched the opening of both Galaxy's Edge lands in basically every way possible - even failing to get a crowd of media/bloggers/vloggers excited during the dedication (to the point that it was beyond awkward). He forced the early opening of Rise of the Resistance in DHS against the wishes of Imagineering (who knew it wasn't ready). Sorry, but he may be great at merchandising (I don't personally believe that, as the quality/variety of merch in the parks is dismal), but I really don't think he's a good choice for CEO of Disney. My big toe has more creativity, imagination, and leadership capabilities.
But my point stands, what exactly can he do for creative at the parks anymore? New blood will be in that position.

ImperfectPixie

But my point stands, what exactly can he do for creative at the parks anymore? New blood will be in that position.
Regardless of him being more hands-off in terms of the parks, my point is that a good CEO needs to be so much more than what he is. I'm really hoping someone with some vision - outside of merchandising - is put into Chapek's old job, and that they appreciate the parks far more than Chapek.

The Pho

You might be surprised by how much they can collect. From watch history, to scrolling patterns, how long it takes you to select something, then there’s the device data like your IMEI, IP, and location, etc.

Theres a lot of data to be had. And while much of this may sound trivial and unimportant, companies have been able to extrapolate quite a bit of information from what they’ve collected. Even to the point where they could know somebody has Parkinson’s before they’ve been diagnosed, simply from their scrolling movements.

Brer Oswald

My bad. You are correct.

It appears there is an expose breaking today about ABCNews actively covering up aspects of Jeffery Epstein. A veteran correspondent has been suspended. Chapek gets a nice crisis management turdball first day on the job.
Maybe that was the reason for Iger’s immediate step down? I’m not sure, but this entire thing seems like an uphill battle for Chapek.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

That would be a disaster...

He is in no way qualified to do anything involving legal tender.

He’s blown every budget to smithereens...and takes pride in that.

Last edited:

SteamboatJoe

Rhode belongs at WDI. There are two parts to P&R - the creative and the operations. Rhode has zero experience with the operations.

The ideal P&R leader is an ops guy who knows and cares about the parks, and has enough respect for the creatives at WDI to let them do their job rather than force their hand on everything.
I am glad someone said this. There is a lot more to running those parks than creative.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom