Rumor: Lord of the Rings Land to Replace Toon Lagoon?

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

Original Poster
According to Theme Park University,

"There have been a few rumblings here and there about Lord of The Rings headed to Universal Orlando in the last several months. We decided to do a little digging on our own and have pieced together the following information.

Believe it or not, we aren’t the first to break this story. There have been two other sources that have covered the Lord of the Rings coming to Universal Orlando. However, (and I’m not making this up) both of those stories have magically been deleted from the internet. Thus I can’t link you to them. However, as soon as I realized they were deleted, that only added more fuel to the fire to keep researching.

Most likely the new land would take over Toon Lagoon at Islands of Adventure. Why? When it comes to IP, comic strips like Popeye and Rocky and Bullwinkle don’t exactly resonate with today’s audiences. Yet, Lord of the Rings is seen as more of a timeless brand.

Most importantly, some of the plans call for not only taking over some of the track layout for Bluto’s Bilge-Rat Barges at Toon Lagoon, but expanding it. As many of you know, Bluto’s was recently down for a refurbishment. Part of the reason was annual maintenance, the other was due to nearby construction going on for the upcoming Jurassic World coaster out in the lagoon.

However, very quietly a few tests were done in parts of the flume of Bluto’s Bilge-Rat Barges to bring a traditional raft flume experience to the next level. Imagine using magnets underneath the boat and in the flume in order to help control the movement. As opposed to the rapids controlling where the boat is moved in the flume, you could use magnets to help push to where you want it to go. Plus, you’d be able to point the raft in a particular direction for greater show control.

If you think that sounds kind of like what Shanghai’s Pirates of the Caribbean attraction moves their boats? You’re on the right track. The difference being that the patent for that attraction specifically addresses forward and backward movement. This new system covers other types of motion like pushing a raft from one side of the flume to another using reverse polarity.

Another option that was tested would be to slide that same raft onto a base that has a roller coaster track from above that could pick it up. This would allow a traditional raft ride to actually be combined with roller coaster elements. If this sounds ambitious? You’re correct. The current footprint of Bluto’s would be greatly expanded and Dudley Do-Right gets demolished entirely.

Remember all the immersive theater parts of Disney’s Galaxy’s Edge that were eventually dropped by the time opening day rolled around? This would be a way for Universal to roll out their own version of that. With stunts and interactions that happen all around the land that give it a more personable feel.

What does all this mean? Well, at the moment nothing at all. Keep in mind, these are concepts being kicked around for 2025 at the absolute earliest, most likely even beyond that. I wouldn’t expect to see any wrecking balls at Toon Lagoon anytime soon. However, it’s an interesting development and one we will be keeping our ear to the ground over the next year or two to see if it ends up being green lit."

Your thoughts?

Coolbert

Considering that they have a spotty track record...
1582419914798.png

The Pho

Doesn’t The Hobbit enter public domain in 13 years? Should be 95 years after publication in the US. So 2033 for The Hobbit, and 2050 for Lord of the Rings. Makes this pretty easy for them (or anybody) to make by waiting a little longer. I imagine they’d wait for that since they have enough major expansions going on for now, and likely want to continue on the Nintendo focus.

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

Original Poster
Considering that they have a spotty track record...
View attachment 451277

I see where you're coming from, but they have been right about some stuff before. Most notably, the entire layout of Epic Universe. They just got one little detail wrong.

I love Hogsmeade/Hogwarts. Excited for Zelda. LOTR would be great. I just can't picture those three (similar) themes all in one park.

In my opinion with the Zelda, I'd rather see it as a new land in Epic Universe as an expansion, unless they intend to go the Harry Potter route, and have one major Nintendo property in each park.

Doesn’t The Hobbit enter public domain in 13 years? Should be 95 years after publication in the US. So 2033 for The Hobbit, and 2050 for Lord of the Rings. Makes this pretty easy for them (or anybody) to make by waiting a little longer. I imagine they’d wait for that since they have enough major expansions going on for now, and likely want to continue on the Nintendo focus.

If I remember correctly, Universal already owns the theme park rights to both. I've heard that from more than just TPU.

The Pho

If I remember correctly, Universal already owns the theme park rights to both. I've heard that from more than just TPU.
Yes that rumor has been around for quite some time. Regardless of if they have the rights now or not though, we aren’t far away from anybody being able to make a land based on the property.

seascape

Something tells me it would be Universal-owned in the Americas and not anywhere else, kind of like Sesame Street in the US (SeaWorld) v. Outside (Universal.)
The worst thing that could ever happen to Universal Parks would be for WB to get back into the themepark business. The HP contract is not in perpetuity and if WB wanted they could end it.

JoeCamel

The worst thing that could ever happen to Universal Parks would be for WB to get back into the themepark business. The HP contract is not in perpetuity and if WB wanted they could end it.
Despite making boo queue bucs off it? I doubt it would ever happen after all the work that went into creating what has been and will be built

Disneyhead'71

Themeparkuniversity.com is now reporting that WB may build two themeparks, one on Japan and the other in Paris and yse this IP.
Unless...

There was a rumor about 2 years ago that there were negotiations for the 4th theme park at UOR to be a Warner Bros. World with LotR, DC, Looney Toons, Hanna Barbera and much more.

A WBW could also be combined with Universal Studios Osaka and a 2 park (Uni. and WB) resort in Paris.

This would be a great way for Universal to bring in boucoup new IPs while having WB foot the costs.

Last edited:

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

Original Poster
Unless...

There was a rumor about 2 years ago that there were negotiations for the 4th theme park at UOR to be a Warner Bros. World with LotR, DC, Looney Toons, Hanna Barbera and much more.

A WBW could also be combined with Universal Studios Osaka and a 2 park (Uni. and WB) resort in Paris.

This would be a great way for Universal to bring in boucoup new IPs while having WB foot the costs.

That sounds epic.

Magenta Panther

I'd love a LOTR land that focused on The Hobbit book. I can't tell you guys how many times I've re-read that. A log flume ride in Universal based on the barrel-escape segment from Hobbit could be epic. A Smaug's Mountain ride with a kickass AA dragon would be amazing. And restaurants - or a Green Dragon Inn - that served "Second Breakfast" (brunch) would be a dream come true. After seeing what Universal did with Rowling's tepid prose, I have faith it could do Tolkien's lavish fantasy world justice. I SO hope this happens...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom