News Club 33 coming to Walt Disney World this Fall

MickeyMinnieMom

It seems like perhaps you aren't familiar with the dining options at the Disneyland Resort. So pardon me if you are already aware...

The Disneyland version of V&A's is the Napa Rose at the Grand Californian Hotel, no monorail ride required.

The Disneyland versions of Takumi-Tei or California Grill or Jico, is Carthay Circle or Steakhouse 55 or Catal.

And yet in all of WDW there is still nothing like a 21 Royal experience, which makes Victoria & Albert's look like a Saturday night at Applebees. (Okay, that's just a joke, but 21 Royal is an entirely different ballgame). 🤣

My point is that fine dining options for non-club members are quite available at the Disneyland Resort. There's even a level well above Club 33 dining at Disneyland with 21 Royal. So the mistaken belief that there's a mysterious dearth of dining options in and around Disneyland can't be why WDW has chosen not to build a Club 33 dining room.

There has to be another reason. My hunch is that it involves the sharp pencil boys.
I’ve been to all of the regular DL restaurants you list. Napa Rose is very nice but not at all equivalent to V&A. Takumi-Tei, particularly the chef’s table is a cut above your comparisons. DL is not without a few decent options, but they are far fewer than in WDW. That remains. And regardless, DL33 was conceived before any of these options. WDW33 was introduced when all of these existed.

And again — I believe you think every decision Disney makes now “involves the sharp pencil boys” — no dissuading there so 🤷‍♀️

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
The Blue Bayou is also much closer to fine dining than anything at MK. (Previously, King Stefan’s Banquet Hall would have competed).

I hate to do two negative posts in a row here but I have never liked the food or service at the Blue Bayou. I much prefer the Liberty Tree and the Plaza at MK.
I have to agree. The only thing(s) Blue Bayou has going for it are location and a deep-fried sandwich.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I’ve been to all of the regular DL restaurants you list. Napa Rose is very nice but not at all equivalent to V&A. Takumi-Tei, particularly the chef’s table is a cut above your comparisons. DL is not without a few decent options, but they are far fewer than in WDW. That remains. And regardless, DL33 was conceived before any of these options. WDW33 was introduced when all of these existed.
Historically (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) Club 33 in DLR was Walt's idea as a place to wheedle more sponsorship money out of corporations which later evolved into an exclusive dining venue. WDW took that to the next level and went more micro in their sponsorship incentives by allowing corporations to establish their own lounges inside the attractions they sunk dollars into.

Evolution aside, the dearth of new corporate sponsorships triggered somebody at WDW to sieze the opportunity for YAU (yet another upsell) and the suits agreed, but not at the expense of the existing food service options. Hence, you get a lounge in each park with drinks and snacks, but without full meal service.

MickeyMinnieMom

My meal at the Blue Bayou was many years ago and it was excellent. But things may have changed.
It was never a fine dining restaurant or even close. At least not going back to the late 80’s, my first visit. It’s mediocre and over priced, but you’re paying for the atmosphere. For the latter I still find it worth doing on occasion.

TrainsOfDisney

It was never a fine dining restaurant or even close. At least not going back to the late 80’s, my first visit. It’s mediocre and over priced, but you’re paying for the atmosphere. For the latter I still find it worth doing on occasion.

I agree. But I still think it’s closer to find dining than anything currently available at the MK.

MickeyMinnieMom

I agree. But I still think it’s closer to find dining than anything currently available at the MK.
I’d go with Liberty Tree or Skipper Canteen over Blue Bayou for consistently tasty stuff but that’s obviously subjective. Also, not every meal needs to be a fine dining meal! :) I actually love Liberty Tree.

TrainsOfDisney

I’d go with Liberty Tree or Skipper Canteen over Blue Bayou for consistently tasty stuff but that’s obviously subjective. Also, not every meal needs to be a fine dining meal! :) I actually love Liberty Tree.

Extremely subjective... I was going off of ambiance more than anything.

And of course not, one of my favorite places to eat on property is the Satu’li Canteen.

My opinion is, a club 33 restaurant could have worked nicely in MK. The other parks have fine dining options, MK does not.

MickeyMinnieMom

Extremely subjective... I was going off of ambiance more than anything.

And of course not, one of my favorite places to eat on property is the Satu’li Canteen.

My opinion is, a club 33 restaurant could have worked nicely in MK. The other parks have fine dining options, MK does not.
As you’ve said. :) I don’t find it to be necessary.

ETA: one of my favorite things on property now is a ronto wrap 🥰

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
How do you figure this triggered wdw33 exactly?
My reasoning: corporations aren't asking for private lounges any more, and someone* saw the ca$h cow DL33 has become, and it's easy money with minimal investment and a ready pool of people willing to pay extra for the WDW33 amenities.

*don't know who, but surmising it was someone with responsibilities over both coasts, thus saw the money being left on the table at WDW

TrainsOfDisney

My reasoning: corporations aren't asking for private lounges any more, and someone* saw the ca$h cow DL33 has become, and it's easy money with minimal investment and a ready pool of people willing to pay extra for the WDW33 amenities.

*don't know who, but surmising it was someone with responsibilities over both coasts, thus saw the money being left on the table at WDW

I mean that’s what my interest is as well. How and why did this come to be. Every question that gets asked seems to get an overly defensive answer suggesting that if we aren’t members of the club we simply can’t understand.

I understand that at that price level, people are either going to buy it or not. But then why include the AP’s and the free tickets?

Benjamin_Nicholas

And by atmosphere, you really mean an incredibly dark room with uncomfortable chairs while people float past you, gawking.

Fine dining... No.

Benjamin_Nicholas

Every question that gets asked seems to get an overly defensive answer suggesting that if we aren’t members of the club we simply can’t understand.

I don't see that.

What I have noticed is passive-aggressive wealth shaming for those who are members (or say they are) and the constant opinion on the lack of benefits to membership and why would anyone want one.

As another member here said already, I don't feel the need to defend 33. It is what it is.

DDLand

Going only off of price points there for me, as I've never been to Takumi-Tei but I have traveled through Japan extensively and had many fine meals in that country. I can completely understand that the California Grill would be a very different experience than Takumi-Tei (and the nation of Japan would breath a sigh of relief over that too).

My point was that the Disneyland Resort is not a dearth of fine dining options. They exist at the Disneyland Resort, quite famously for years at Napa Rose and Carthay Circle, so that can't be the reason why they have a Club 33 dining room and WDW does not.

And then there's 21 Royal, which is on a whole different level.
I wouldn’t be surprised if they are waiting for a phase 2 on the dining room. Running a fine dining establishment with 100s of members is one thing. But when they’re still in the ramp phase, they might have 50 members and the restaurant would be empty 90% of the time. This would be even more pronounced if Club 33 Disney World is populated by people who are not from Orlando. If what these members are telling us is true, they pop in every couple months. Very different from the social scene you described at Disneyland. That does raise the possibility they could have a much larger membership than Disneyland...

MickeyMinnieMom

They’ve added corporate lounges recently and are adding more — not sure what you’re talking about.

MickeyMinnieMom

Where at? I’ve always thought it would be really cool if there was a lounge overlooking Rise of the resistance. That would be an awesome ride to watch in operation.
There’s a thread on DISboards about an HP corporate lounge in MFSR building. Not sure the other one I’ve heard about is public knowledge at this point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom