Onward characters to Debut at Disneyland Upcharge Party and DCA

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster
From Disney Parks Blog:
"On March 5, Ian and Barley will make their Disney Parks debut as part of the Disneyland After Dark: Pixar Nite special event"
Ian & Barley from Disney and Pixar’s ‘Onward’

"and beginning the next day – the same day “Onward” hits theaters"
Synergy!
"– you’ll be able to meet them daily at Pixar Pier at Disney California Adventure park."
-(probably) in front of generic red doors that don't represent the film at all (R.I.P Pixarmonic Orchestra)

Most interesting part of this whole blogpost is this little tidbit:
"Soon, the elf brothers will also make their way to Hong Kong Disneyland, to meet guests and then join in the fun with the return of the Pixar Water Play Street Party! "
While it's deliberately vague, it sounds like Disney's planning to open HK DL back up by the summer as the Water Play Parade is a summer-only parade. Closest thing so far to any information about when Hong Kong/Shanghai will reopen.

TP2000

From Disney Parks Blog:
"On March 5, Ian and Barley will make their Disney Parks debut as part of the Disneyland After Dark: Pixar Nite special event and beginning the next day – the same day “Onward” hits theaters"
Synergy!
"– you’ll be able to meet them daily at Pixar Pier at Disney California Adventure park."
-(probably) in front of generic red doors that don't represent the film at all (R.I.P Pixarmonic Orchestra)

wiurhbl3y5ug35y46h-768x432.jpg

Thank you for the heads up on this ladies!

I have no idea what "Onward" is, but judging by that photo attached I am to assume it's the next Pixar cartoon that features... a Disneyland Social Club AP and his twink boyfriend who hang out in downscale suburban strip malls?

But maybe I'm wrong about that. I'm sure it will be a big hit with the kids, whatever it is.

Most interesting part of this whole blogpost is this little tidbit:
"Soon, the elf brothers will also make their way to Hong Kong Disneyland, to meet guests and then join in the fun with the return of the Pixar Water Play Street Party! "
While it's deliberately vague, it sounds like Disney's planning to open HK DL back up by the summer as the Water Play Parade is a summer-only parade. Closest thing so far to any information about when Hong Kong/Shanghai will reopen.

You're right, that is the most interesting part! But obviously it was written very vaguely, as Hong Kong Disneyland will eventually reopen at some point I'm sure. And likely not until this summer. But at least they'll have two new characters in the parade. ;)

Mickeyboof

Funny that we get these two absolutely dumb and tactless characters before their release, but months after the mandelorian, it’s crickets on if we get to see him stroll Black Spire Outpost or not.

Disney is awful at Synergy. Disney is a case study on how not to cultivate and present active creative works. God, they’re awful at showmanship.

TP2000

Funny that we get these two absolutely dumb and tactless characters before their release, but months after the mandelorian, it’s crickets on if we get to see him stroll Black Spire Outpost or not.

Disney is awful at Synergy. Disney is a case study on how not to cultivate and present active creative works. God, they’re awful at showmanship.

There do appear to be some serious missteps in how they get their IP and new characters into the parks.

This isn't rocket science, but for whatever reason they act as if it is.

It's just a theme park, not a historically sensitive display at the Smithsonian.

brb1006

Not even Nick and Judy who debuted at DCA as meetable characters were at an Upcharge Party.

Curious Constance

In Disney’s defense, who could have predicted that a ridiculously, heart wrenchingly, adorable teeny, tiny cooing baby Yoda, and the man who tends to and cares for him with nothing short of a mother’s gentle touch and love would have become popular? I mean, that really came out of nowhere.

TP2000

In Disney’s defense, who could have predicted that a ridiculously, heart wrenchingly, adorable teeny, tiny cooing baby Yoda, and the man who tends to and cares for him with nothing short of a mother’s gentle touch and love would have become popular? I mean, that really came out of nowhere.

Yeah, I know, who would think that would even resonate or have anything to do with the Billion dollar new land they just built on both coasts after years of hype that is dedicated to the mega popular IP the characters are based in?

But have you seen this?!? It's a Social Club AP and his twink boyfriend with piled up blue hair, and they hang out in suburban strip malls with funny names! (Swamp Gas! Get it? How do they come up with this stuff?!?)

Book your flights to LAX now lady, because you are going to be able to have your picture taken with them in front of a 10 foot wide plywood backdrop in DCA's Hollywood Backlot Studios!!! SYNERGY!

Last edited:

Curious Constance

Yeah, I know, who would think that would even resonate or have anything to do with the Billion dollar new land they just built on both coasts after years of hype that is dedicated to the mega popular IP the characters are based in?

But have you seen this?!? It's a Social Club AP and his twink boyfriend with piled up blue hair, and they hang out in suburban strip malls with funny names! Book your flights to LAX now lady, because you are going to be able to take your picture with them in front of a plywood backdrop next to Stage 17 at DCA's Hollywood Backlot Studios!!! SYNERGY!

The trailers for this movie do nothing for me. Does anyone else think the character in the red shirt looks like the main kid/guy from Ratatouille just tinged blue?

TP2000

Yeah, I think Pixar has lost its Midas touch. I wonder if this movie will bomb? I have no clue, but it at least feels possible.

I made fun of John Lassetter as much as the next guy. Well, maybe I made more fun of his drunken woman-chasing ways as the next guy. But...

This is the first Pixar movie that hasn't had Mr. Lassetter at the helm throughout its production. Could it be that 2020's Pixar without John Lassetter is like 1970's Walt Disney Productions without Walt Disney?

Is Onward the Pixar version of Herbie Goes Bananas? (With apologies to Miss Leachman, Mr. Korman, and Volkswagen)

MV5BODkyM2VkOTMtNzg2Mi00OGIwLWI2N2ItNzU4MTg0ZDE2MmUxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjE5MzM3MjA%2540__V1_.jpg

socalifornian

Right now it’s tracking to have the 18th best Pixar opening, out of 22, at $45 million. Beating out Good Dinosaur by a little under 6 million. Onwards projected opening is closer to the much more successful Ratatouille movie but the media doesn’t seem to be leaning that way. At least they’ll probably be able to say that it’s the #1 movie!
6535BC79-C6CC-4333-AD01-156A832117F1.jpeg259DADBA-78E2-44E7-9614-8610A98EB5D8.jpeg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom