Is it "okay" to expect better?

Phroobar

Nostalgia is not the reason I consider it the 2nd best theme park in the world. As it stands today, it is superior to practically any other park on earth.

IMO Disney is the gold standard in theme park entertainment. They are the leader.

I don't understand how it is becoming a parody of itself.

And yes this graph certainly shows that Disney needs a management change. Look at how the last decade shows such a poor performance. :rolleyes:
View attachment 450798
Just because something makes tons of money doesn't make it good. See The Last Jedi and Avatar.
Just because Disneyland is in vogue with the pixie dusters doesn't mean management is doing a great job at running the park. See last summer.

Travel Junkie

Just because something makes tons of money doesn't make it good. See The Last Jedi and Avatar.
Just because Disneyland is in vogue with the pixie dusters doesn't mean management is doing a great job at running the park. See last summer.

The Last Jedi was good. Also we are concluding that Disneyland is a top 2 or 3 theme park in the world. If you say that it isn't, then that's an entirely different discussion.

Dismissing anyone that visits and enjoys Disneyland as a pixie duster is certainly a way to close your mind to any other argument.

Phroobar

The Last Jedi was good. Also we are concluding that Disneyland is a top 2 or 3 theme park in the world. If you say that it isn't, then that's an entirely different discussion.

Dismissing anyone that visits and enjoys Disneyland as a pixie duster is certainly a way to close your mind to any other argument.
But shouldn't you expect better than mediocre?

You're the travel junkie. You should be seeing more of the world than Disney parks. Believe me, the sad condition of the domestic Disney parks pales in comparison to the rest of the world.

Travel Junkie

But shouldn't you expect better than mediocre?

You're the travel junkie. You should be seeing more of the world than Disney parks. Believe me, the sad condition of the domestic Disney parks pales in comparison to the rest of the world.

I don't believe they are mediocre. As I have said Disneyland is the 2nd best theme park in the world IMO. Right now; today. The number of theme parks I have seen around the world is substantial so I have plenty of experience to compare and contrast. Perhaps my opinion should be not be so easily dismissed simply because I don't subscribe to the group think on these forums as of late that DLR and WDW are awful.

I've been to over 100 countries on 6 continents. Does that meet your standard as well enough traveled?

Travel Junkie

Adding to the above. The assumptions and close-mindedness that has invaded this forum is disappointing. Saying Disneyland is mediocre like it is a fact agreed to by all, even when said poster has stated numerous times that is not how they feel shows this mindset. Then they conclude the only way said person can have any sort of a positive opinion is that they don't go to anywhere else in the world at Disneyland and they must be a pixie duster.

I would hope that people are truly open to all points of view in a discussion forum.

Phroobar

Adding to the above. The assumptions and close-mindedness that has invaded this forum is disappointing. Saying Disneyland is mediocre like it is a fact agreed to by all, even when said poster has stated numerous times that is not how they feel shows this mindset. Then they conclude the only way said person can have any sort of a positive opinion is that they don't go to anywhere else in the world at Disneyland and they must be a pixie duster.

I would hope that people are truly open to all points of view in a discussion forum.
I am not a "they".

And you think it is NOT ok to expect better from Disney.

SuddenStorm

I will always love Disneyland and consider it a wonderful place to visit, but some of the specific expectations of mine are rarely, if never met. So I’m trying to stop having them.

Yep- I have this idealized depiction of what Disneyland should be in my mind, and whenever I go and it's not that I'm always a touch disappointed. Which isn't Disneyland's fault- it's mine for expecting better creative decisions, better cast members, and better maintenance.

Travel Junkie

I will always love Disneyland and consider it a wonderful place to visit, but some of the specific expectations of mine are rarely, if never met. So I’m trying to stop having them.

Always appreciate your perspective. How much of those expectations have to do with nostalgia? Personally I have no nostalgia for Disneyland. I am looking at it objectively and in comparison to what other parks currently offer. Admittedly it is tough for me to understand what seems like unrealistic expectations.

Travel Junkie

Don't get insulting.

Apologies, but in practically every response you gave, you made statements about me that would have been refuted had you simply read what I wrote. To be specific, I stated the exact opposite of what you said I believed several times.

So in all sincerity, pretty please read what I write. To me it comes off as you wanting to start an argument instead of actually having a discussion.

Animaniac93-98

I would probably have a different expectation of Disney if they charged half the price to get in and didn’t have 65 years of operational experience, but they don’t.

Th3 DUd3

I personally think all of this is "first world" problems. Despite the cost, upkeep, maintenance, jobs, good, bad, ugly, metal chest plates Shouldn't we be really happy that all of this is at our fingertips? Yeah all of it comes at a cost and I understand standards. While I don't discourage having a better standard I just want to remind everyone of how truly fortunate we really are.

In the end sadly you either can or can't. If you can't...find ways as there many options out there if you are willing.

PiratesMansion

The truth is somewhere in the middle.

The park still does a lot right. It's still my favorite park in the United States, and I'd be hard-pressed to name any one park in the country that is a better overall package. There is still a lot that is right with the core product. While we might argue about what some of the investments are, it's not fair to say the park isn't being invested in. If there is any park that COULD be worth the prices the US parks are charging at this point, Disneyland is it.

BUT there is a lot that concerns me. Namely, the IP-centric direction of the parks, the lack of leadership and passion from the top, anything that involves night parades, the massive steps backward taken by the park next door, the total disregard for the CMs and their needs, and the seemingly endless cuts that seem to be occurring.

The big question is the value proposition. Prices keep going up, yet things are largely being cut, at a seemingly accelerated rate as of late. And there have been a lot of little detrimental changes over the years that also make the price sting more. When looking at individual elements it might not matter, but there's been a cumulative effect as detail after detail is neglected or carelessly changed, yet the price keeps going up as if they're operating on Tokyo's level. When detail was once the hallmark of Disney, and Disney still proudly gives the same spiel to anyone who will listen today, is it wrong for the consumer to expect them to live up to it? Particularly with the prices forever going in only one direction with little to no relief?

I love and will always love the park. All I want (and all anyone on this board wants) is for Disneyland to consistently be the pinnacle of excellence the company and its price point say it is. It's not unreachable, and Disney has the resources it needs to make it happen.

SuddenStorm

the total disregard for the CMs and their needs

I loved the rest of your post- but this one point stood out since Disney invests quite a bit into their CMs.

-Minimum $15/hr wage across the resort- right in line with MIT's minimum living wage estimate for the area.
-Free park admission, discounts on food and merchandise, free park admission for friends, and winter coupons for free snacks and heavy food discounts.
-Disney Aspire- a completely free program that allows CM's to get a degree/certificate from a variety of programs- and is expanding every year. There's a few very simple qualifications but its otherwise open to every CM that wants it.
-All sorts of backstage amenities for CMs- everything from a heavily discounted pharmacy to athletic training.

There's quite a bit more- various programs and support groups for various minority groups working at the resort, the VoluntEARS program, the Company D/Property Control stores, and more. Any front cast member that complains about working for Disney is being selfish and entitled and I'd strongly encourage them to leave Disney and find someplace they'd be happier, since there's likely no entry level job that comes with better perks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom