News PHOTOS - Cinderella Castle at the Magic Kingdom to receive enhancements this summer

Bocabear

The original color styling for Cinderella's Castle appears to have been very inspired by the Tres Riches Heures de la Duc De Berry, a prayer book written in the 1400s and later embellished in 1856.
1582291431594.png

1582291462707.png

1582291656650.png

SpectroMan93

Did a side by side with a picture I took from my trip in December. Very much felt like she needed a fresh coat of paint then. New color scheme is definitely reminiscent of Disneyland’s recent renovation. Excited to see how that translates on to a much larger canvass.

A3DF0470-BF51-4FA4-929F-7621E701151B.jpeg

yensidtlaw1969

23 Pictures of Cinderella Castle - Same paint scheme, different lighting, different cameras, different photographers, different retouching . . . (and before anyone asks, I made sure not to include any pictures of Tokyo!)

Cinderella Castle Lighting.jpg

Some of them make the castle look gray, some of them make the castle look pink, some of them make the castle look beige, white, yellow, orange . . . there are so many factors that come into play with color for a structure like this. Not to mention the color calibration of the different screens we're looking at the image on. Remember "the dress" that was Blue and Black or White and Gold? That came down to optical tricks, color calibration, and that fact that everyone has a different color acuity.

Lets also not forget that the rendering of the Castle Paint Job is a PR image and not an internal paint elevation - there is a level of artistic license at play here that can account for different elements of the image, such as the choice to use a photo featuring the castle bathed in early morning light.

This is a case where I think we should actually wait and see paint going up on the castle before we complain it's "too pink". Too much is being made of that from this one image. There's simply not enough verifiable evidence that what will be going on the castle is actually pink.

For the record, I've worked as a painter in the entertainment industry and have been hired for my high color acuity, and I think it's a stretch to call the new paint job Pink. It looks more like a coppery wash - this could be an effort to imply a "rose gold" treatment, but it reminded me immediately of the Tokyo color scheme, which no one has ever called Pink:

Cinderella-Castle-compare-750x400 tokyo copy.jpg

ImperfectPixie

23 Pictures of Cinderella Castle - Same paint scheme, different lighting, different cameras, different photographers, different retouching . . . (and before anyone asks, I made sure not to include any pictures of Tokyo!)

View attachment 450748

Some of them make the castle look gray, some of them make the castle look pink, some of them make the castle look beige, white, yellow, orange . . . there are so many factors that come into play with color for a structure like this. Not to mention the color calibration of the different screens we're looking at the image on. Remember "the dress" that was Blue and Black or White and Gold? That came down to optical tricks, color calibration, and that fact that everyone has a different color acuity.

Lets also not forget that the rendering of the Castle Paint Job is a PR image and not an internal paint elevation - there is a level of artistic license at play here that can account for different elements of the image, such as the choice to use a photo featuring the castle bathed in early morning light.

This is a case where I think we should actually wait and see paint going up on the castle before we complain it's "too pink". Too much is being made of that from this one image. There's simply not enough verifiable evidence that what will be going on the castle is actually pink.

For the record, I've worked as a painter in the entertainment industry and have been hired for my high color acuity, and I think it's a stretch to call the new paint job Pink. It looks more like a coppery wash - this could be an effort to imply a "rose gold" treatment, but it reminded me immediately of the Tokyo color scheme, which no one has ever called Pink:

View attachment 450749
I hope you're right. And I've been in a position similar to yours, but mine was in the print industry and I was known in my company for my ability to match PMS numbers to existing printed materials. (I also have a background in painting and ran a paint room for a woodcarving shop for years, but that really didn't require any color matching or anything remotely close to that.)

yensidtlaw1969

I hope you're right. And I've been in a position similar to yours, but mine was in the print industry and I was known in my company for my ability to match PMS numbers to existing printed materials. (I also have a background in painting and ran a paint room for a woodcarving shop for years, but that really didn't require any color matching or anything remotely close to that.)
To that hope I can only offer a big "we'll see" - I suppose it's possible that Disney wants to paint Cinderella Castle pink for the first time in its life, but that's not the impression this art is giving me. I'll be happy to admit to being incorrect if it turns out the castle does get painted pink.

My point is really that the concern over pinkness is premature. We'll have to wait for more conclusive evidence to know for certain, since clearly the art can be interpreted many different ways by many different people.

ImperfectPixie

To that hope I can only offer a big "we'll see" - I suppose it's possible that Disney wants to paint Cinderella Castle pink for the first time in its life, but that's not the impression this art is giving me. I'll be happy to admit to being incorrect if it turns out the castle does get painted pink.

My point is really that the concern over pinkness is premature. We'll have to wait for more conclusive evidence to know for certain, since clearly the art can be interpreted many different ways by many different people.
Side note...when I was "a kid" (read ~25), I had a '79 Camaro that I wanted to have painted Mother of Pearl, which was one of the newest flashy paints available at the time. Chameleon (shade-shift) paint and vinyl were introduced not too long after, if memory serves. Honestly, I'm really wondering if Disney would go to the expense of having a metallic rose gold paint made and applied to the castle. Outside of automotive and similar uses, I can't think of a single instance in which a metallic paint weathers well...but I could be wrong.

yensidtlaw1969

Side note...when I was "a kid" (read ~25), I had a '79 Camaro that I wanted to have painted Mother of Pearl, which was one of the newest flashy paints available at the time. Chameleon (shade-shift) paint and vinyl were introduced not too long after, if memory serves. Honestly, I'm really wondering if Disney would go to the expense of having a metallic rose gold paint made and applied to the castle. Outside of automotive and similar uses, I can't think of a single instance in which a metallic paint weathers well...but I could be wrong.
You're right that it generally doesn't weather well - which is another reason I'm sort of inclined to believe we're looking at some kind of copper-colored treatment rather than an outright metallic (or pink!) one.

ThatMouse

The grey "bricks" look like all premade fiberglass (like sorcerer's hat) which should never need repainting like a marine grade satin clear coat, but I could be wrong. Originally it was "stucco" like the rocks over in Tomorrowland, but today it looks way too perfect to be stucco. We need construction pictures. The top looks like plywood sheets for the walls and fiberglass for the ornate section which they are always repainting - so much so that the fiberglass looks yucky. The roof is the oddest part, maybe some type of PVC tiles.

MagicHappens1971

The grey "bricks" look like all premade fiberglass (like sorcerer's hat) which should never need repainting like a marine grade satin clear coat, but I could be wrong. Originally it was "stucco" like the rocks over in Tomorrowland, but today it looks way too perfect to be stucco. We need construction pictures. The top looks like plywood sheets for the walls and fiberglass for the ornate section which they are always repainting - so much so that the fiberglass looks yucky. The roof is the oddest part, maybe some type of PVC tiles.
are we talking about the castle? Haven’t the “bricks” always been fiberglass?

ThatMouse

are we talking about the castle? Haven’t the “bricks” always been fiberglass?

I did another Google and found that it is most likely stucco that is stamped and then spray painted. Stucco can be easily removed and resurfaced if money is no object. It was replaced with new stucco maybe 10 years ago with a slightly different brick pattern. That means it needs painted just as much as the top parts.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Nope. In my group it depends on who you ask. Different monitors show colors at different temperatures, different people perceive colors differently, etc. etc.

Exactly

Brenthodge

What. Are. You. Talking about?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom