Who should be excluded to help with the overcrowding problem.

Disstevefan1

A lot of interesting thoughts on this topic. My family and I have been coming since 2007. We’ve made a total of 8 trips. Here’s our general observations. New fast past system and dining reservations should give Disney an idea of crowd level...as should resort bookings. No guest should EVER have to wait longer than an hour at most for any one ride. Just looking today and over the weekend at the ride times and I feel horrible for those who spent the $ and will probably only get in a few rides. 120 minutes for Peter Pan, 70 minutes for Buzz Lightyear....seriously Disney? Thats horrible to do to young kids. That’s not a positive experience and perhaps Iger and company need to take two small kids to the park to experience what is happening. This is Tuesday, after President’s Day and I’d be furious. At Epcot...55 minutes for Spaceship Earth (an aged ride)...65 minutes for Nemo.... At HS, 185 minutes for Slinky Dog ( a one minute ride). As I said in an earlier post, we were just there a week ago. Ride times were tolerable, but high for February. Disney does many things very well. We were surprised with sparkling juice and two champagne glasses for our anniversary. It was great, a real surprise. We didn’t have kids and could adjust on the fly, but the new FP+ system and ADR for dinner make things very inflexible. Many parents are stressed and you can see it. Not to mention the number of people walking with their heads in their phones...that’s another topic. Perhaps priority needs to take place for those staying at Disney properties, not just for EMH, but for rides or use something similar to the boarding groups/virtual queue for a land or area. I know Disney can use analytics and come up with a solution, but unfortunately people must not be complaining enough. I heard it best said from someone that Disney has turned into a logistics company. They know how to move people around, but they haven’t figured out how to move them through. As someone else stated, people are forced now to plan months in advance. You get penalized if you have to change your ADR the day of, but yet in many cases people have no choices due to the capacity of the parks. I love Disney and have always felt it’s a special place and experience, but the view through the lens of the guest is starting to sour.

Excellent thoughts and I agree. Before the FastPass plus system, Space Ship Earth was not a fast pass attraction and was most of the time a walk on.

Look at The people mover today. Long snaking lines to get on. Why? Because it’s one of the very few attractions that are NOT a fast pass attraction, but as a result now everyone wants to go on it to just to relax and get away from ADRs and Fast pass return times.

I fear the people mover will become so popular it will become a fast pass attraction!

chriskbrown

A lot of interesting thoughts on this topic. My family and I have been coming since 2007. We’ve made a total of 8 trips. Here’s our general observations. New fast past system and dining reservations should give Disney an idea of crowd level...as should resort bookings. No guest should EVER have to wait longer than an hour at most for any one ride. Just looking today and over the weekend at the ride times and I feel horrible for those who spent the $ and will probably only get in a few rides. 120 minutes for Peter Pan, 70 minutes for Buzz Lightyear....seriously Disney? Thats horrible to do to young kids. That’s not a positive experience and perhaps Iger and company need to take two small kids to the park to experience what is happening. This is Tuesday, after President’s Day and I’d be furious. At Epcot...55 minutes for Spaceship Earth (an aged ride)...65 minutes for Nemo.... At HS, 185 minutes for Slinky Dog ( a one minute ride). As I said in an earlier post, we were just there a week ago. Ride times were tolerable, but high for February. Disney does many things very well. We were surprised with sparkling juice and two champagne glasses for our anniversary. It was great, a real surprise. We didn’t have kids and could adjust on the fly, but the new FP+ system and ADR for dinner make things very inflexible. Many parents are stressed and you can see it. Not to mention the number of people walking with their heads in their phones...that’s another topic. Perhaps priority needs to take place for those staying at Disney properties, not just for EMH, but for rides or use something similar to the boarding groups/virtual queue for a land or area. I know Disney can use analytics and come up with a solution, but unfortunately people must not be complaining enough. I heard it best said from someone that Disney has turned into a logistics company. They know how to move people around, but they haven’t figured out how to move them through. As someone else stated, people are forced now to plan months in advance. You get penalized if you have to change your ADR the day of, but yet in many cases people have no choices due to the capacity of the parks. I love Disney and have always felt it’s a special place and experience, but the view through the lens of the guest is starting to sour.

I am going in 3 weeks back to WDW and I am 5 weeks out from visiting DL. Not having FP+ and not having to make ADRs right at 180 days was great at DL. And we went the day Rise opened at DL so yes it was plenty crowded. Both days we score Rise BG but that's a whole different thread. I think after many years with FP+ (we actually had the first resort magic bands when they tested them at Port Orleans), FP+ has failed.

I worked in systems for a large company and pulling the plug on a large investment is never easy. But with new WDW management, I would say scrap the whole thing. You can keep the magic bands but frankly with phones, Apple and Google pay not sure you need them anymore.

Go with the old FP and add the Max Pass solution. Heck, you throw Max Pass in for free for staying on property?? Instant value add to the resorts - and yeah it costs zero.

ADRs - 90 days max. When in real life do I make dinner reservations

This is what happens when you didnt let the pirates eat the tourists.
This is what happens when you didnt let the pirates eat the tourists.
1582156207064.gif

jaklgreen

That part I partially understand and how they make short term profit, but line attractions, with trains or omni's are filling up as fast as they can be filled up, the number of CM's is pretty irrelevant. That's the first thing and the second is they are in a public service business and not accommodating the customer eventually catches up with every public service establishment. It is like investing in a brick and mortar attraction in that it is investing in the enjoyment of the people that they are relying on for income. I guess that they only thing they are concerned about is today with absolutely no thought about the future. They are not failure proof, contrary to the belief of some.

Not to mention that all of those people waiting hours in line are NOT spending. It is in Disney's best interest to make the lines shorter so those people can get a Mickey bar on the way to their next ride.

hopemax

I'm pretty sure most people would want to exclude my Dad and me.

We use a CM Maingate and guest passes. Especially since my Mom was the CM and she passed away 5 years ago. Nevermind, that in the past Disney provided that as a benefit to their cast that when they reached eligible years of service and retired, that there were survivor benefits. Nevermind, that my Mom was the type of CM that would "work" on the days she visited the parks. She worked in merchandise, and sometimes a return would come in, but wasn't tagged properly, so as we would look around the shops she would see an item, and carry a little notebook to write down the pertinent information so when she returned to work she could do her job properly. Or the type of CM that would see a product that was themed to her location, but not sold in her location, and bump up the chain as to why. Nevermind, that I am positive that my spending, and separately my Dad's spending are each above the" 6 figure" threshold. But see, we aren't, today, spending the money in the "right bucket." Not on an admission ticket, not on a resort stay. So we totally don't count as a valued guest. And it's completely justified that FP+ options within our 7 day window are becoming increasingly limited (not just headliners).

hsisthebest

Original Poster
These comments are great, I've never started a "7 pager" before. My OP was only meant to be somewhat smart-alieky. I just want people who pine for the "old days" of empty nights and light Sept-Feb. to consider that they too are people taking up space at a theme park and keep coming back and filling the said park. The paradoxical nature of it is fun to think about- people want to have low crowds as long as they aren't the ones kept out in order to keep the crowds low.

Disney.Mike

I would tier the FP system based on where you stay... not just outright exclude people from the parks.

Offsite non AP - 1 FP per day
Onsite value non AP - 2 FP
Onsite mod non AP - 4 FP
Onsite deluxe non AP - 5 FP

Offsite AP - 2 FP
Onsite Value AP - 3 FP
Onsite mod AP - 5 FP
Onsite deluxe AP - 7

All DVC rooms should be treated as deluxe rooms and given 1 additional FP if you are a direct purchaser

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I would tier the FP system based on where you stay... not just outright exclude people from the parks.

Offsite non AP - 1 FP per day
Onsite value non AP - 2 FP
Onsite mod non AP - 4 FP
Onsite deluxe non AP - 5 FP

Offsite AP - 2 FP
Onsite Value AP - 3 FP
Onsite mod AP - 5 FP
Onsite deluxe AP - 7

All DVC rooms should be treated as deluxe rooms and given 1 additional FP if you are a direct purchaser
Why only for direct purchase?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
These comments are great, I've never started a "7 pager" before. My OP was only meant to be somewhat smart-alieky. I just want people who pine for the "old days" of empty nights and light Sept-Feb. to consider that they too are people taking up space at a theme park and keep coming back and filling the said park. The paradoxical nature of it is fun to think about- people want to have low crowds as long as they aren't the ones kept out in order to keep the crowds low.
FYI: there’s a 10,000 page thread about Bob saget here 😉

drizgirl

There seems to be a never ending complaint of overcrowding in the parks which unless the top brass at Disney are deaf, blind crazy they must be aware of and simply don't care--- Profits Profits Profits. If they were concerned they would simply reduce the capacity of the parks ---when a daily allotment of tickets are sold that is it. Never happen
The "overcrowding" is a goal of theirs. Of course it isn't going to change.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There seems to be a never ending complaint of overcrowding in the parks which unless the top brass at Disney are deaf, blind crazy they must be aware of and simply don't care--- Profits Profits Profits. If they were concerned they would simply reduce the capacity of the parks ---when a daily allotment of tickets are sold that is it. Never happen
Crowds breed upsells

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom